One Political PlazaSM - Home of politics
Posts for: maximus
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 140 next>>
Aug 21, 2019 06:55:03   #
BigMike wrote:
They didn't! This was an American nickname for a bike that was as huge as a Duesenberg. Read the story.

Indian bought Ace and for one year used the Ace name before phasing it out.




Shows what I know!
 
Aug 20, 2019 21:07:40   #
BigMike wrote:
Some bike, eh? 1260 ccs was hyuuuge for that time.




Duesenberg always went big. Their cars were the old movie stars choice. For a car company to build a motorcycle it sure is a pleasing design to look at. Usually, if a machine looks that good, it also works that good.
Aug 20, 2019 18:32:47   #
Kevyn wrote:
Don’t worry they will be providing reproductive health care for Americans for years to come. Don't get me wrong this is a significant set back for women’s rights but the tide will turn abruptly in 2021.





Hey, Kevyn, if it's a woman's right to abort a baby and men and women are equal, then why shouldn't a man be able to abort an unwanted baby the same as a woman. That way, every baby could be killed by one or both parents. The only babies that could escape death would be those actually wanted by both parents.
That would be a great way to ensure that EVERY baby that gets to live is wanted...otherwise, it's off to the organ market.
Aug 20, 2019 18:21:46   #
acknowledgeurma wrote:
https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report/denmark-offers-to-buy-us?utm_campaign=aud-dev&utm_source=nl&utm_brand=tny&utm_mailing=TNY_Borowitz_082019&utm_medium=email&bxid=5bd681ab24c17c104804095a&cndid=52928333&esrc=bounceX&utm_term=TNY_Borowitz

By Andy BorowitzAugust 16, 2019

COPENHAGEN (The Borowitz Report)—After rebuffing Donald J. Trump’s hypothetical proposal to purchase Greenland, the government of Denmark has announced that it would be interested in buying the United States instead.

“As we have stated, Greenland is not for sale,” a spokesperson for the Danish government said on Friday. “We have noted, however, that during the Trump regime pretty much everything in the United States, including its government, has most definitely been for sale.”

“Denmark would be interested in purchasing the United States in its entirety, with the exception of its government,” the spokesperson added.

A key provision of the purchase offer, the spokesperson said, would be the relocation of Donald Trump to another country “to be determined,” with Russia and North Korea cited as possible destinations.

If Denmark’s bid for the United States is accepted, the Scandinavian nation has ambitious plans for its new acquisition. “We believe that, by giving the U.S. an educational system and national health care, it could be transformed from a vast land mass into a great nation,” the spokesperson said.


Andy Borowitz is a Times best-selling author and a comedian who has written for The New Yorker since 1998. He writes The Borowitz Report, a satirical column on the news.
https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report/de... (show quote)




Trump's answer would be...if you need to know the price, you can't afford it.
Or...serious inquiries only.
And maybe...we will sell Puerto Rico but only if the democratic party goes with it.
Or possibly...get 20 percent off if you agree to buy California also. ( Homeless must go with the state).
Aug 20, 2019 18:11:58   #
Lt. Rob Polans ret. wrote:
NEWS - HARLEY DAVIDSON SPEAKS TO DECLINING BIKE SALES

The reasons for the slump in sales at HD are not President Trump's fault.

Apparently, the Baby-Boomers all have motorcycles. Generation X is only buying a few, and the next generation isn't buying any at all.

A recent study was done to find out why Millennials don't ride motorcycles:

1. Pants won't pull up far enough for them to straddle the seat.

2. Can't get their phone to their ear with a helmet on.

3. Can't use 2 hands to eat while driving.

4. They don't get a trophy and a recognition plaque just for buying one.

5. Don't have enough muscle to hold the bike up when stopped.

6. Might have a bug hit them in the face and then they would need emergency care.

7. Motorcycles don't have air conditioning.

8. They can't afford one because they spent 12 years in college trying to get a degree in Humanities, Social Studies or Gender Studies for which no jobs are available.

9. They are allergic to fresh air.

10. Their pajamas get caught on the exhaust pipes.

11. They might get their hands dirty checking the oil.

12. The handle bars have buttons and levers and cannot be controlled by touch-screen.

13. You have to shift manually and use something called a clutch.

14. It's too hard to take selfies while riding.

15. They don't come with training wheels like their bicycles did.

16. Motorcycles don't have power steering or power brakes.

17. Their nose ring interferes with the face shield.

18. They would have to use leg muscle to back up.

19. When they stop, a light breeze might blow exhaust in their face.

20. It could rain on them and expose them to non-soft water.

21. It might scare their therapy dog, and then the dog would need therapy.

22. Can't get the motorcycle down the basement stairs of their parent's home.
NEWS - HARLEY DAVIDSON SPEAKS TO DECLINING BIKE SA... (show quote)



Now that's funny... I don't kir who ye are!
Aug 20, 2019 18:08:00   #
BigMike wrote:
My ma was going through some pictures of her parents and found one of her dad when he was 25 or so riding one of these. Ace was around for a few years so his might not have been this year but he rode from Tennessee to LA on one of these, intent on getting into the movie business.

My grandad was always a forward thinker. He had to have the best gadgets.

"Two-Wheeled Duesenberg": 1926 Ace Four

Claimed power: 16hp
Top speed: 75mph (est.)
Engine: 77ci (1,265cc) air-cooled intake over exhaust inline four, 2.75in x 3.25in bore and stroke
Weight (dry): 365lb (166kg)
Fuel capacity/MPG: 3.75gal (14.2ltr)

https://www.motorcycleclassics.com/classic-american-motorcycles/1926-ace-four-zmsz15jfzbla
My ma was going through some pictures of her paren... (show quote)



Bee-utiful!!!
 
Aug 20, 2019 18:06:34   #
fullspinzoo wrote:
Public education has become an institutional form of child abuse. https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2019/08/the_demise_of_public_education.html




I wonder if we will be up to it when there is no other way but violence.
Aug 19, 2019 13:25:06   #
alabuck wrote:
——————-
Navigator,

I respectfully disagree with your analysis of the meaning of the 2nd Amendment. You’ve listened to the NRA’s bass-akwards retention for so long, you come to believe them. They’re totally LYING about it. Have you ever read the 2nd Amendment, all the way through, pausing where the commas are, so to understand the inflections and emphasis of the phrases? Also, you need a good understanding of how English was spoken and written in the mid 1700’s. From my experiences on the OPP, most of you 2nd Amendment adherents don’t take that part of history into account. Some of the English spoken today is different from some of the English of the 1700’s. And, the spoken English to the 1700’s is different than the English of Shakespeare’s time. Just look at how we’ve dropped “thee’s and thou’s,” and no longer use “f” for an “s.”

It goes to prove that words, their meanings, sentence structure, punctuation, and inflections, change over time as language changes to keep-up with the changing society. As an example, only 100 years ago, the word “gay” meant that someone was “happy,” not homosexual, or more specifically, a homosexual male (as opposed to a homosexual female who’s called a “lesbian”).

Take a couple of more changes. 1) In the course of just a decade (10 years), the word “can” changed meanings. In the slang of the 1940s, "can" referred to a jail or prison. In the slang of the 1950s, the meaning shifted to mean a toilet or bathroom.

2) Say you lived from the 1700’s and into the late 1800’s. While out hunting with your long gun (shotgun, rifle or musket) and you were asked as to the location of your “tampon,” what would be your first thought? Would you, immediately know your tampon was the short, wooden plug you put down the barrel of your long gun to keep any rain out? Or, would you immediately think of a feminine hygiene product?

So, as to the interpretation of the 2nd Amendment, unless you’re very familiar with the way English was spoken and written, around the time the Constitution was written, your understanding of its words and meanings could be fairly different than what Mr. Madison wrote and what the meanings of his words and sentences. The NRA recognizes that most people don’t realize there are differences in the language. So, they read the 2nd Amendment and try to convince people the 2nd Amendment’s wording reflects words used today. It doesn’t.

When was the last time you diagrammed a sentence in English class? I have 2 granddaughters who live nearby. One attends junior high school and the other is a sophomore in high school. School started here, August 1. When I last spoke to them about their classes, I included inquiring about their English class. Both said that English was their most boring class. When I asked them if they had ever been taught how to diagrams sentences, both said, “What’s diagraming sentences?” When I was in grade school, we were taught sentence diagramming in the 7th, 9th and 11th grades. Of course, that was in the mid to late 60’s. Times have changed and schools no longer put as much emphasis on sentence structure, let alone the sentence structure of older English composition.

Like I said, the NRA is betting on yours and many other’s ignorance of the differences between English composition of the 1700’s and now. The interpretation you used as a rebuttal of my post proves my point. If you were to read the 2nd Amendment as it was written and meant to be understood, you'd see your mistakes in understanding.

Another comment you posted referenced our “...benevolent government not lasting... .” Why would you think such? What proof do you have that indicates our government will turn against us? Unless it’s Trump’s divisive and hateful rhetoric you’re referencing, I see no eminent indications of that. As have many others, I have noticed an uptick in the number of “hate crimes” committed since his inauguration. His own FBI has published the figures that prove that.

It seems to me you’ve been listening to way too much “hate radio” and Faux News on your TV. You should get away from Brietbart, Infowars and Rush Limbaugh, too. From these “outlets” I’ve just mentioned is where Trump gets most of the lies he spreads. Are you aware that Trump has topped the 12 THOUSAND mark in the number of lies he’s told since taking office? That’s a récord only a moronic narcissist would be proud of.

Seeems to me, if you’re so afraid of our government becoming a totalitarian government, you should help get Trump out of office. You should help clean the Congress of the GOPTPers who support Trump and his “bought and paid for” agenda that favors the ricjph and powerful. You need to help get “Citizens United” overturned and eliminate all of the “dark money” being spent by the super-PACs and foreign money; like the money the NRA accepted from Russia and then give to NRA-supporting and Trump-supporting candidates. If we lose our “benevolent” government, it’ll be because it was sold out from underneath us by the rich and powerful; be they domestic or foreign.

TAG, Navigator! You’re it!
——————- br Navigator, br br I respectfully disagr... (show quote)




Wow! I get it! We just don't know what we are reading because the language is different. Are you sure? Let's look at your examples;
"can" If you get canned, you are in jail or prison...if you have canned peaches, it means that you have preserved them...a tin can is something you kick down the road or a submarine...a can is a metal container to hold food for long periods of time, a can is a small confined space. A can is a toilet. Our language is complicated and the same word spelled the same can have several meanings.
If I were hunting in the 1800's, I would not know of a feminine product that hadn't been invented called a tampon. However, if you were talking about muzzle loading firearms, I would have known what you were talking about. Gay used to mean happy and faggot used to mean a small piece of wood to put on a fire...now both mean homosexual men. A fag used to be a cigarette.
Enough already...my point is that meanings of words are highly dependent on context. According to you, we don't know what Shakespeare was saying, even though we put on his plays in the same language in which they were written. What about Homer or Socrates? Do we not know what they meant because we don't speak Latin or Greek anymore?
Why do we think our government can turn against us? The majority of Americans were against gay marriage ( I believe that's the whole premise of "democracy"), but our government knew better than the majority. The majority didn't want prayer taken out of schools but it happened. The majority does not believe there many, many genders, but did that stop our government? Like California? Where is illegal to call a person with a penis a man, even if it's a doctor making a report? That's democracy? You say Trump is destroying our "democracy" but you call laws made for the very few "democracy"?

Are you very sure it's us who are misunderstanding English? The defense of a free state is NOT defending the Federal government, but it IS defending a free state against the Federal government if it becomes Tyrannical. Our founders knew full well that absolute power corrupts absolutely, and they took steps to limit powers and gave us the right to protect ourselves from enemies foreign OR domestic, that is, the right to "preserve" our foundations, not change or destroy them.
Aug 19, 2019 12:43:43   #
archie bunker wrote:
OH HELL NO......😢😢😢😢😢

Our 14-year-old dog Abbey died last month. The day after she passed away my 4-year-old daughter Meredith was crying and talking about how much she missed Abbey. She asked if we could write a letter to God so that when Abbey got to heaven, God would recognize her. I told her that I thought we could so, and she dictated these words:

Dear God,

Will you please take care of my dog? She died yesterday and is with you in heaven. I miss her very much. I am happy that you let me have her as my dog even though she got sick.

I hope you will play with her. She likes to swim and play with balls. I am sending a picture of her so when you see her you will know that she is my dog. I really miss her.

Love, Meredith

We put the letter in an envelope with a picture of Abbey and Meredith and addressed it to God/Heaven. We put our return address on it. Then Meredith pasted several stamps on the front of the envelope because she said it would take lots of stamps to get the letter all the way to heaven. That afternoon she dropped it into the letterbox at the post office. A few days later, she asked if God had gotten the letter yet. I told her that I thought He had.

Yesterday, there was a package wrapped in gold paper on our front porch addressed, 'To Meredith' in an unfamiliar hand. Meredith opened it. Inside was a book by Mr. Rogers called, 'When a Pet Dies.' Taped to the inside front cover was the letter we had written to God in its opened envelope. On the opposite page were the picture of Abbey & Meredith and this note:

Dear Meredith,

Abbey arrived safely in heaven. Having the picture was a big help and I recognized her right away.

Abbey isn't sick anymore. Her spirit is here with me just like it stays in your heart. Abbey loved being your dog. Since we don't need our bodies in heaven, I don't have any pockets to keep your picture in so I am sending it back to you in this little book for you to keep and have something to remember Abbey by.

Thank you for the beautiful letter and thank your mother for helping you write it and sending it to me. What a wonderful mother you have. I picked her especially for you. I send my blessings every day and remember that I love you very much. By the way, I'm easy to find. I am wherever there is love.

Love, God

Don't say you're too busy to Share this. Just go ahead and do it

Suspended Coffees You will all be happy to know this wonderful story is 100% true, please don't take offense to the reference of God, it's part of the story.

“Three things in human life are important: the first is to be kind; the second is to be kind, and the third is to be kind.”

#WhenDogsGoToHeaven #WhatsYourStory #PrayingDogs
OH HELL NO......😢😢😢😢😢 br br Our 14-year-old ... (show quote)




God is not dead. He is alive in every one who seeks him . In so many words, Jesus said, Love God with everything you have and love you fellow man as you love yourself.
Aug 19, 2019 04:51:40   #
Tug484 wrote:
More drs. are saying it's highly unlikely and rare to break the hyoid bone hanging yourself. More than are saying he hung himself.


No doubt as far as I'm concerned.
Aug 19, 2019 04:48:28   #
PeterS wrote:
So how is controlling people going to be easier than controlling guns?




Illegal weapons will never be discovered unless the wielder is caught with the weapon. We KNOW where the people are.
 
Aug 19, 2019 04:11:36   #
jimpack123 wrote:
whom Barr is there boss. correct or am I missing something , but mostly I am picking on the OPP people who believe that it was a murder. When it is a suicide


It's almost like beating yourself to death with a feather duster. But it's no more strange than a pregnant woman committing suicide by shooting herself in the BACK of her head. Get a toy pistol and hold it so as to shoot yourself in the back of the head. It is completely awkward, especially when a shot to the temple is SOOO much easier. I really don't think that Barr is "boss" over some poorly performing prison guards.
It was murder.
Aug 19, 2019 03:59:41   #
Richard94611 wrote:
You are right about me not wasting my time reading your denial articles. I have already seen most all of the general assertions you deniers make and seen dozens of arguments of specific denials refuted. I have examined the data and come to my conclusion. At some point one must say “Enough !” and reach a conclusion.


So you deny that 90 computer models are wrong, and that predicting the wrong results over and over is the way of science. This is where your liberal bias comes into play. You believe that being liberal and taught in a liberal collage by liberal professors gives you a leg up over other people. Yet, you deny that 90 computer models are wrong when they never predict the "correct" temps. There has been no significant sea level rise and there are 533,000 MORE square miles of ice in the Arctic than there was in 2012. The BBC reported in 2007 global warming would leave the Arctic ice-free in summer by 2013. Didn't happen. Is that science? To be wrong all the time?
I am not collage educated so make fun of me. It's OK. The difference in us two is that I can see that something is bad wrong with what you are saying is fact. You can't see it. Your mind is not open to reality.
Aug 19, 2019 03:06:24   #
Richard94611 wrote:
So without knowing any of the curcumstances, you condemn college courses. Ignoramus you ! I will tell you something: the reason you see colleges as being predominantly liberal (with the definite exception of religious colleges) is because liberals are a hell of a lot more tuned into facts, and you conservatives find facts a nuisance that impedes your backward thinking.. FACTS, Larasi, facts. Something heavily into facts that doesn't accept your fantasies you then call "Liberal."


Here are some "other" facts;

https://thefreedomarticles.com/scientists-refute-manmade-global-warming/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_scientists_who_disagree_with_the_scientific_consensus_on_global_warming

https://www.businessinsider.com/nasa-scientists-dispute-climate-change-2012-4

https://principia-scientific.org/empirical-evidence-refutes-greenhouse-gas-theory/

https://climatechangedispatch.com/97-articles-refuting-the-97-consensus/

https://www.wnd.com/2007/09/43489/

https://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2012/04/nasa-scientists-rebel-against-global-warming-hysteria.php

https://ricochet.com/194291/archives/50-nasa-scientists-against-global-warming/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCy_UOjEir0

If you take the time to read these articles, which you probably won't, you might just see why some of us just don't believe the climate change theory that seems to be firmly entrenched in the liberal mind.

It seems that the computer models are wrong and have predicted much higher temps than we are seeing. Except for the Russians...they seem to have gotten it right. What was predicted by 90 different climate models, 95 percent of models overestimated actual temperatures. Nothing says science like predicting stuff incorrectly over and over and over again. The consensus is instead of discussing real science, the naysayers would rather berate those who disagree with their faulty computers models. If they're going to convince me, then they have to be accurate, NOT inaccurate. So far, they have failed miserably.
Aug 18, 2019 23:03:37   #
markc wrote:
Not name calling, that’s your president evidently. And I agree that tax and spend is no the solution, but on the reverse end the Republican flat out steal the tax money, thinking of the Savings and Loan scandals in the 80’s. Which is worse?


I thought those guilty parties should have went to prison. I wanted no bail outs. When that Fanny Mae thing came out I was against any bail outs. When the car companies flopped, I said ' "Let 'em sink!" Some foreign company would have bought them out and life would have went on. What if the feds had given all that bail out money to every American citizen? We could have bought Japanese cars, ( they're assembled here anyway), we could have paid off our houses, started a business, etc. We could have done SO many good things with that money, but as soon as the crisis was over for the American companies, what did they do? Started planning on shipping even MORE of their manufacturing to foreign countries while closing American plants.
Social security? It has been robbed so many times it's pathetic! The first one I remember hearing about was Bush Sr., who took a huge amount out of it to apply to the national debt, to make it look better for his re-election. I didn't like republicans back then and I mostly sill don't. Anyway, every politician from here to there has taken money paid into SS by US, the working population, for their pet projects. That's why SS will cease to work one day soon. There will not be enough money, due to the politicians robbing the coffer.
Democrat or republican, liberal or conservative, I'm against ANY and ALL forms of corruption by whoever in our governments, city, county, state, and Federal, that steals money that is supposed to be for US when we retire, or for any other designated purpose.
I apologize for the remark about name calling, as I'm seeing it from both sides.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 140 next>>
OnePoliticalPlaza.com - Forum
Copyright 2012-2019 IDF International Technologies, Inc.