One Political Plaza - Home of politics
Home Active Topics Newest Pictures Search Login Register
General Chit-Chat (non-political talk)
Do you like old cars and winter??
Nov 20, 2022 11:33:12   #
permafrost Loc: Minnesota
 
"Rusty Chevrolet"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeZ0BUc3kMw

Reply
Nov 20, 2022 16:00:33   #
liberalhunter
 
permafrost wrote:



Yep.... especially the ones with the cold starting instructions on the driver side visor...... works everytime.

Had a 68 chevy impala, cold blooded as hell...... and that was here in texas.

Reply
Nov 20, 2022 17:56:42   #
permafrost Loc: Minnesota
 
liberalhunter wrote:
Yep.... especially the ones with the cold starting instructions on the driver side visor...... works everytime.

Had a 68 chevy impala, cold blooded as hell...... and that was here in texas.


Just gotta know the winter starting tricks.. LOL

Also had a late 60s impala.. 66 or 67 and yes it did start well.. and I am not a chevy fan..

Reply
 
 
Nov 21, 2022 10:34:29   #
Rose42
 
permafrost wrote:
Just gotta know the winter starting tricks.. LOL

Also had a late 60s impala.. 66 or 67 and yes it did start well.. and I am not a chevy fan..


It was once so cold my choke froze. Yep, I had a car with a manual choke. I ain’t no spring chicken.

Reply
Nov 21, 2022 10:53:26   #
permafrost Loc: Minnesota
 
Rose42 wrote:
It was once so cold my choke froze. Yep, I had a car with a manual choke. I ain’t no spring chicken.


that puts you one up on me.. while I remember them well, from dad cursing about them, I never had a manual choke.. on a car... Used one on something.. but can not recall what the heck or when the heck it was..

Reply
Nov 21, 2022 19:32:02   #
son of witless
 
permafrost wrote:


Had a 68 Camaro that rusted, but fortunately I hit a deer with it.

Reply
Nov 21, 2022 21:39:54   #
permafrost Loc: Minnesota
 
son of witless wrote:
Had a 68 Camaro that rusted, but fortunately I hit a deer with it.


LOL,,,, hope you made some good sausage..

Reply
 
 
Nov 22, 2022 08:29:51   #
son of witless
 
permafrost wrote:
LOL,,,, hope you made some good sausage..


I didn't have time to bother with the deer. I had two cars at the time. A 1970 Dodge Charger, the car from hell, and my baby the Camaro. Why couldn't I have smashed the Charger ? The year before I had all the rust fixed and had the Camaro repainted. Life is unfair. Any way, I sold the Camaro back to my brother who originally had it.

He repaired everything over the winter and sold it to another of my brothers who within a year proceeded to total it. Funny you should mention deer sausage. I never bother with that. I do deer hamburger. My cousin gave me 2 lbs of deer sausage one year and I found it uneatable. He used way too much seasoning, but I didn't want to throw it. I finally was able to blend 3 lbs of regular hamburger into it, so I could enjoy it.

To get back to my cars. I finally traded the charger in for a purple gremlin. Ugliest car this side of hell, but it wasn't constantly breaking down like the charger. I never bought a Chrysler product after that.

Reply
Nov 22, 2022 13:03:33   #
permafrost Loc: Minnesota
 
son of witless wrote:
I didn't have time to bother with the deer. I had two cars at the time. A 1970 Dodge Charger, the car from hell, and my baby the Camaro. Why couldn't I have smashed the Charger ? The year before I had all the rust fixed and had the Camaro repainted. Life is unfair. Any way, I sold the Camaro back to my brother who originally had it.

He repaired everything over the winter and sold it to another of my brothers who within a year proceeded to total it. Funny you should mention deer sausage. I never bother with that. I do deer hamburger. My cousin gave me 2 lbs of deer sausage one year and I found it uneatable. He used way too much seasoning, but I didn't want to throw it. I finally was able to blend 3 lbs of regular hamburger into it, so I could enjoy it.

To get back to my cars. I finally traded the charger in for a purple gremlin. Ugliest car this side of hell, but it wasn't constantly breaking down like the charger. I never bought a Chrysler product after that.
I didn't have time to bother with the deer. I had ... (show quote)


Never had a venison burger. even in a club serving venison for the season.. I chose something else.. had a bison burger more than once.. just a normal burger to my taste.. But to me, deer sausage is a real treat.. mild of course but so very good..

This year of course, I did not hunt. but we had the usual success around here.. the downer was my so very good dog got into the cuttings left behind and then got sick all over the floor, not once but three times.. geez what a mess to clean up..

Those old cars still seem to have been the best.. while I never managed a real muscle car, seemed everyone else did. Remember the Dodge... something or other Dart maybe.. had an engine so oversized they needed cutouts in the wheel wells to change the spark plugs..

Such fun days.. even with the problems of that time, which now feel minor to me.. must mean I am an old fart..

Have a fine day.. and a truly good thanksgiving.. blessing to you and yours..



Reply
Nov 22, 2022 15:53:53   #
son of witless
 
permafrost wrote:
Never had a venison burger. even in a club serving venison for the season.. I chose something else.. had a bison burger more than once.. just a normal burger to my taste.. But to me, deer sausage is a real treat.. mild of course but so very good..

This year of course, I did not hunt. but we had the usual success around here.. the downer was my so very good dog got into the cuttings left behind and then got sick all over the floor, not once but three times.. geez what a mess to clean up..

Those old cars still seem to have been the best.. while I never managed a real muscle car, seemed everyone else did. Remember the Dodge... something or other Dart maybe.. had an engine so oversized they needed cutouts in the wheel wells to change the spark plugs..

Such fun days.. even with the problems of that time, which now feel minor to me.. must mean I am an old fart..

Have a fine day.. and a truly good thanksgiving.. blessing to you and yours..
Never had a venison burger. even in a club serving... (show quote)


The Charger was a tank. I didn't buy it as a muscle car. I bought cars as I needed them and as people offered them to me. I could write pages on how many times that car left me sit on the side of the road in the days before cell phones, and another encyclopedia on the parts. I hate working on cars, but that heap turned me into a mechanic, somewhat. The first starter I changed took me 3 hours because I had no clue what I was doing. By the fourth starter , I could do it in a half hour laying in the snow.

If there would have been a convenient hole to bury that car, I would have shot a hole in the engine and pushed it in.

Sorry to vent, but horrible memories came back. Happy Thanksgiving.

Reply
Nov 22, 2022 18:04:17   #
FallenOak Loc: St George Utah
 
permafrost wrote:


That rusty Chevrolet reminds me of some of the Model A’s I have had that were in that condition. Restored three of them. They had chokes. The choke was a lever in front of the passenger. It also was used to regulate the fuel mixture in the carburetor.
The chokes in other cars I owned were knobs on the dash that were pulled out to choke the car. I added a spring on my cars like that so I had to hold the choke. That was so I didn’t forget to push the choke in after the engine warmed. I don’t know if anyone else did that or not.
I am finishing a1952 Willys Jeep I bought as a project a year ago. It has a carburetor knob and a throttle knob. I always found that using the throttle knob wasn’t very satisfactory as the throttle knob tended to get pulled in unless I held it and the engine would slow down.
Thanks for the humorous prayer.
Hope your Holiday Season is joyful.

Reply
 
 
Nov 22, 2022 18:11:46   #
permafrost Loc: Minnesota
 
FallenOak wrote:
That rusty Chevrolet reminds me of some of the Model A’s I have had that were in that condition. Restored three of them. They had chokes. The choke was a lever in front of the passenger. It also was used to regulate the fuel mixture in the carburetor.
The chokes in other cars I owned were knobs on the dash that were pulled out to choke the car. I added a spring on my cars like that so I had to hold the choke. That was so I didn’t forget to push the choke in after the engine warmed. I don’t know if anyone else did that or not.
I am finishing a1952 Willys Jeep I bought as a project a year ago. It has a carburetor knob and a throttle knob. I always found that using the throttle knob wasn’t very satisfactory as the throttle knob tended to get pulled in unless I held it and the engine would slow down.
Thanks for the humorous prayer.
Hope your Holiday Season is joyful.
That rusty Chevrolet reminds me of some of the Mod... (show quote)


Wow! you select very good cars to work on.. family had a model A when I was a little kid.. and I had an eye on a jeep for a long time.. never got it..

The only chock I am familiar with was the pull out kind, never saw a lever style.. good thinking on that spring idea..

Have a fine turkey day and enjoy the full weekend..

Reply
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
General Chit-Chat (non-political talk)
OnePoliticalPlaza.com - Forum
Copyright 2012-2022 IDF International Technologies, Inc.