One Political Plaza - Home of politics
Home Active Topics Newest Pictures Search Login Register
General Chit-Chat (non-political talk)
Two/Twin
Page 1 of 2 next>
Jun 18, 2022 13:09:18   #
AuntiE Loc: 46th Least Free State
 
It is not rocket science. This diatribe is based on my recent reading and has shown people DO NOT know how to use the words two or twin.

FYI- Twin is two. You do not need the word two in front of the word twin!!! For example, I just read a sentence; ”the room had two twin beds”. Twin beds are two. The only way you would need the word two was if it was two sets of twin beds.





Reply
Jun 18, 2022 13:53:03   #
donrent Loc: SW Florida -Born Texas-Lived Panama & Alaska
 
I completely agree with you.

And my twin brothers do two, uh, I mean , too!

Reply
Jun 18, 2022 13:53:34   #
F.D.R.
 
Spelling, punctuation and structure yes. Grammar, not so much. I failed every grammar test in school yet I received A+ on every book report or written assignment. Later during my work life my written reports were very well received by Board members and professionals. During a presentation once I was even asked where I teach by a school principle no less. I've yet to diagram a sentence since I left school 63 years ago. In my view grammar is only useful for those planning a career in literature and has no practical use for the average person.

Reply
 
 
Jun 18, 2022 14:02:52   #
RascalRiley Loc: Canada
 
donrent wrote:
I completely agree with you.

And my twin brothers do two, uh, I mean , too!

Reply
Jun 18, 2022 16:05:19   #
nonalien1 Loc: Mojave Desert
 
F.D.R. wrote:
Spelling, punctuation and structure yes. Grammar, not so much. I failed every grammar test in school yet I received A+ on every book report or written assignment. Later during my work life my written reports were very well received by Board members and professionals. During a presentation once I was even asked where I teach by a school principle no less. I've yet to diagram a sentence since I left school 63 years ago. In my view grammar is only useful for those planning a career in literature and has no practical use for the average person.
Spelling, punctuation and structure yes. Grammar, ... (show quote)




But it is nice to have an intelligent conversation once in awhile.

Reply
Jun 18, 2022 16:07:29   #
RascalRiley Loc: Canada
 
nonalien1 wrote:
But it is nice to have an intelligent conversation once in awhile.

Reply
Jun 18, 2022 16:36:27   #
BBZ Loc: Long Island, NY
 
AuntiE wrote:
It is not rocket science. This diatribe is based on my recent reading and has shown people DO NOT know how to use the words two or twin.

FYI- Twin is two. You do not need the word two in front of the word twin!!! For example, I just read a sentence; ”the room had two twin beds”. Twin beds are two. The only way you would need the word two was if it was two sets of twin beds.


A twin bed describes the type of bed. The twin bed size is generally 38 inches by 75 inches (sometimes 39 inches by 75 inches). This makes it the smallest mattress, outside of beds designed specifically for cribs and small children. It's certainly designed for only one sleeper.

Reply
 
 
Jun 18, 2022 16:39:15   #
RascalRiley Loc: Canada
 
BBZ wrote:
A twin bed describes the type of bed. The twin bed size is generally 38 inches by 75 inches (sometimes 39 inches by 75 inches). This makes it the smallest mattress, outside of beds designed specifically for cribs and small children. It's certainly designed for only one sleeper.


Amazing what we would put up with when we younger and a single was all that was handy. πŸ˜‚

Reply
Jun 18, 2022 16:54:06   #
son of witless
 
AuntiE wrote:
It is not rocket science. This diatribe is based on my recent reading and has shown people DO NOT know how to use the words two or twin.

FYI- Twin is two. You do not need the word two in front of the word twin!!! For example, I just read a sentence; ”the room had two twin beds”. Twin beds are two. The only way you would need the word two was if it was two sets of twin beds.


Since this is the grammar Police ?

I'd like to file a formal complaint against a person we all know. I can name them if necessary. The crime is the misuse of your for you're. After being corrected numerous times this person continues to commit this word crime on OPP. He brags about his education, but is oblivious to simple English usage.

Reply
Jun 18, 2022 16:56:24   #
BBZ Loc: Long Island, NY
 
RascalRiley wrote:
Amazing what we would put up with when we younger and a single was all that was handy. πŸ˜‚


Oh yeah, we were lucky we did not have to share a bed, but we did have bunk beds. I am still amazed that no one got seriously hurt. And of course hearing "What are you doing up there?" And answering in unison "Nothing."

Reply
Jun 18, 2022 17:01:14   #
RascalRiley Loc: Canada
 
son of witless wrote:
Since this is the grammar Police ?

I'd like to file a formal complaint against a person we all know. I can name them if necessary. The crime is the misuse of your for you're. After being corrected numerous times this person continues to commit this word crime on OPP. He brags about his education, but is oblivious to simple English usage.


In defence of those who rushed and do not use the Preview Button, spell check can reek havoc on a text.

But Google has all the answers for those that care, as I do

Reply
 
 
Jun 18, 2022 17:02:50   #
AuntiE Loc: 46th Least Free State
 
RascalRiley wrote:
In defence of those who rushed and do not use the Preview Button, spell check can reek havoc on a text messages.


You reminded me I have an amusement for that.

Reply
Jun 18, 2022 17:04:53   #
RascalRiley Loc: Canada
 
AuntiE wrote:
You reminded me I have an amusement for that.

I too have seen such text conversations.

Similar to wrong person text messages

Reply
Jun 18, 2022 17:06:01   #
AuntiE Loc: 46th Least Free State
 
RascalRiley wrote:
I too have seen such text conversations.


I keep overlooking it. Hmmm, as it is on my mind, mayhaps I should post it now.

Reply
Jun 19, 2022 09:44:24   #
Big dog
 
AuntiE wrote:
It is not rocket science. This diatribe is based on my recent reading and has shown people DO NOT know how to use the words two or twin.

FYI- Twin is two. You do not need the word two in front of the word twin!!! For example, I just read a sentence; ”the room had two twin beds”. Twin beds are two. The only way you would need the word two was if it was two sets of twin beds.

πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

Reply
Page 1 of 2 next>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
General Chit-Chat (non-political talk)
OnePoliticalPlaza.com - Forum
Copyright 2012-2022 IDF International Technologies, Inc.