One Political Plaza - Home of politics
Home Active Topics Newest Pictures Search Login Register
Leaning Left
Are We Worn Out with Police Brutality and Inhuman Actions?
Feb 13, 2022 07:10:57   #
jelun
 
It seems that some police have forgotten that in most circumstances more than one person lives in a dwelling.
I bet when you go to someone's house and KNOCK (yes, what civilized people do) if a person calls for you to come in, regardless of what they are carrying, you don't kill them. That's why I can't figure out the reason that this murder isn't resonating.
Even though the full story follows I included the link so that people can read more from The Root right now.

https://www.theroot.com/the-warrant-that-led-to-amir-locke-s-death-was-meant-fo-1848506159?utm_source=theroot_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2022-02-09

The warrant the Minneapolis SWAT team served that led to the fatal shooting of Amir Locke was targeted at his 17-year-old cousin Mekhi Speed, reported CNN. Through surveillance footage, investigators linked Speed to a stolen car that was identified as the getaway vehicle in a homicide. Speed was arrested Tuesday.

CNN reported there were two other people who were persons of interest in the crime. Warrants were obtained to search three apartments in the building where Locke was killed: one where Speed lived with his mother, another on the floor connected to a co-suspect and another belonging to the girlfriend of Speed’s brother, per USA Today. Police had court documents establishing the police’s cause for making an arrest.

From CNN:

Attorneys for the Locke family released a statement Tuesday confirming Speed was Locke’s cousin, reading in part, “His cousin was not present in Unit 701,” the statement began. “We must remain focused on the fact that Amir was an innocent young man of a raid gone terribly wrong, who is now the latest statistic and victim of the dangerous and intrusive no-knock warrant techniques that must be banned.”

Speed is facing two counts of second-degree murder and may be charged as an adult by prosecutors, per CNN. January 10, St. Paul officers responded to the shooting and killing of 38-year-old Otis Elder. Investigators traced a Mercedes-Benz from the crime scene to the apartment building where Locke was.
Both no-knock and knock warrants were obtained for the Minneapolis SWAT team so they could “make the best possible decision about entry” said Interim Police Chief Amelia Huffman. Police were looking for Speed but as they approached Locke, who was asleep on the couch, Officer Hanneman opened fire upon seeing his handgun. Speed’s brother and his brother’s girlfriend were in the apartment at the time Locke was shot, reported CNN.

From CNN:

Hanneman has been placed on administrative leave, as is policy, pending the ongoing investigation. The Minneapolis Police Officers Federation released a statement, reading in part, “Officers were obviously prepared for a very dangerous and high-risk situation. During the event, as shown in the body-camera footage, Officer Hanneman quickly encountered Mr. Locke who was armed with a handgun and made the decision to use deadly force.”

“No officer goes into a dangerous setting like this wanting to use a weapon. That decision was not taken lightly, and the impact of the use of deadly force will affect these officers, their families, and the family of Mr. Locke for the rest of their lives,” it continued.

This case couldn’t be more heart-wrenching. Not only was this another innocent Black life taken by coward police but Locke was also profiled as a suspect. In that “split second” Hanneman saw his handgun and could’ve assumed Locke was actually his younger cousin. Locke didn’t even have the chance to give his name.

Reply
Feb 13, 2022 07:25:27   #
Canuckus Deploracus Loc: North of the wall
 
jelun wrote:
It seems that some police have forgotten that in most circumstances more than one person lives in a dwelling.
I bet when you go to someone's house and KNOCK (yes, what civilized people do) if a person calls for you to come in, regardless of what they are carrying, you don't kill them. That's why I can't figure out the reason that this murder isn't resonating.
Even though the full story follows I included the link so that people can read more from The Root right now.

https://www.theroot.com/the-warrant-that-led-to-amir-locke-s-death-was-meant-fo-1848506159?utm_source=theroot_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2022-02-09

The warrant the Minneapolis SWAT team served that led to the fatal shooting of Amir Locke was targeted at his 17-year-old cousin Mekhi Speed, reported CNN. Through surveillance footage, investigators linked Speed to a stolen car that was identified as the getaway vehicle in a homicide. Speed was arrested Tuesday.

CNN reported there were two other people who were persons of interest in the crime. Warrants were obtained to search three apartments in the building where Locke was killed: one where Speed lived with his mother, another on the floor connected to a co-suspect and another belonging to the girlfriend of Speed’s brother, per USA Today. Police had court documents establishing the police’s cause for making an arrest.

From CNN:

Attorneys for the Locke family released a statement Tuesday confirming Speed was Locke’s cousin, reading in part, “His cousin was not present in Unit 701,” the statement began. “We must remain focused on the fact that Amir was an innocent young man of a raid gone terribly wrong, who is now the latest statistic and victim of the dangerous and intrusive no-knock warrant techniques that must be banned.”

Speed is facing two counts of second-degree murder and may be charged as an adult by prosecutors, per CNN. January 10, St. Paul officers responded to the shooting and killing of 38-year-old Otis Elder. Investigators traced a Mercedes-Benz from the crime scene to the apartment building where Locke was.
Both no-knock and knock warrants were obtained for the Minneapolis SWAT team so they could “make the best possible decision about entry” said Interim Police Chief Amelia Huffman. Police were looking for Speed but as they approached Locke, who was asleep on the couch, Officer Hanneman opened fire upon seeing his handgun. Speed’s brother and his brother’s girlfriend were in the apartment at the time Locke was shot, reported CNN.

From CNN:

Hanneman has been placed on administrative leave, as is policy, pending the ongoing investigation. The Minneapolis Police Officers Federation released a statement, reading in part, “Officers were obviously prepared for a very dangerous and high-risk situation. During the event, as shown in the body-camera footage, Officer Hanneman quickly encountered Mr. Locke who was armed with a handgun and made the decision to use deadly force.”

“No officer goes into a dangerous setting like this wanting to use a weapon. That decision was not taken lightly, and the impact of the use of deadly force will affect these officers, their families, and the family of Mr. Locke for the rest of their lives,” it continued.

This case couldn’t be more heart-wrenching. Not only was this another innocent Black life taken by coward police but Locke was also profiled as a suspect. In that “split second” Hanneman saw his handgun and could’ve assumed Locke was actually his younger cousin. Locke didn’t even have the chance to give his name.
It seems that some police have forgotten that in m... (show quote)


Calling the police cowards is hardly appropriate... But that's the root for you...

Seems to me that police could do more to ensure who the occupants of a dwelling are...And to ascertain if there are additional civilians at risk...

This seems more like human error than "institutional racism"...

Reply
Feb 13, 2022 07:53:39   #
jelun
 
How is it inappropriate to term some police as cowards? Do you think that there are no police who are cowards?
How about that officer in Chicago, Van Dyke, who shot teenaged Laquan McDonald multiple times while the boy was on the ground, isn't he a coward?
How about the former cop who shot Philando Castile, was he brave?
Justine Damand? Was the cop who murdered her a coward?
Why would a police officer assume that a licensed gun owner meant him harm?
Don't many gun owners sleep with a gun at hand? Why is that?
This was no instantaneous decision, the police had the option of knock or no knock.
Why would they choose the more dangerous option with no idea about who was or was not in residence?
Prejudice based in systemic racism is one of very few reasons that this played out the way it did.

Now, can we move over to my question? Are we on overload and unable to drum up empathy when a family loses a member to these actions?



Canuckus Deploracus wrote:
Calling the police cowards is hardly appropriate... But that's the root for you...

Seems to me that police could do more to ensure who the occupants of a dwelling are...And to ascertain if there are additional civilians at risk...

This seems more like human error than "institutional racism"...

Reply
 
 
Feb 13, 2022 08:02:25   #
Canuckus Deploracus Loc: North of the wall
 
jelun wrote:
How is it inappropriate to term some police as cowards? Do you think that there are no police who are cowards?
How about that officer in Chicago, Van Dyke, who shot teenaged Laquan McDonald multiple times while the boy was on the ground, isn't he a coward?


How about the former cop who shot Philando Castile, was he brave?
Justine Damand? Was the cop who murdered her a coward?
Why would a police officer assume that a licensed gun owner meant him harm?
Don't many gun owners sleep with a gun at hand? Why is that?
This was no instantaneous decision, the police had the option of knock or no knock.
Why would they choose the more dangerous option with no idea about who was or was not in residence?
Prejudice based in systemic racism is one of very few reasons that this played out the way it did.

Now, can we move over to my question? Are we on overload and unable to drum up empathy when a family loses a member to these actions?
How is it inappropriate to term some police as cow... (show quote)


Calm down bro..

Referring to the police as cowards (a blanket statement) is wrong... And the root makes numerous other generalizations that are derogatory or racist...

Yes, some police are bad... But not the majority, and certainly not in this case.. The officer made a snap judgement...

I'm going to assume that the police shouting "police warrant" was enough that an individual wouldn't automatically reach for a gun.... I can't find anything about him being a registered owner, but that's a fair assumption... Picking it up was his right, but hardly the smartest decision at the time...

How are you going to prove prejudice??? Police do no knock raids on white people and shoot them when they're armed as well....

Sucks that the young man died..I'm sure the officer feels even more regretful... Just one if those things that needs to be fixed...

Reply
Feb 13, 2022 08:06:39   #
Canuckus Deploracus Loc: North of the wall
 
Canuckus Deploracus wrote:
Calm down bro..

Referring to the police as cowards (a blanket statement) is wrong... And the root makes numerous other generalizations that are derogatory or racist...

Yes, some police are bad... But not the majority, and certainly not in this case.. The officer made a snap judgement...

I'm going to assume that the police shouting "police warrant" was enough that an individual wouldn't automatically reach for a gun.... I can't find anything about him being a registered owner, but that's a fair assumption... Picking it up was his right, but hardly the smartest decision at the time...

How are you going to prove prejudice??? Police do no knock raids on white people and shoot them when they're armed as well....

Sucks that the young man died..I'm sure the officer feels even more regretful... Just one if those things that needs to be fixed...
Calm down bro.. br br Referring to the police as ... (show quote)


https://www.onepoliticalplaza.com/t-238000-1.html

Here's another outrage... A cop beating a young woman in broad daylight.... Disgusting...

Another coward...

Reply
Feb 13, 2022 12:56:08   #
vernon
 
jelun wrote:
It seems that some police have forgotten that in most circumstances more than one person lives in a dwelling.
I bet when you go to someone's house and KNOCK (yes, what civilized people do) if a person calls for you to come in, regardless of what they are carrying, you don't kill them. That's why I can't figure out the reason that this murder isn't resonating.
Even though the full story follows I included the link so that people can read more from The Root right now.

https://www.theroot.com/the-warrant-that-led-to-amir-locke-s-death-was-meant-fo-1848506159?utm_source=theroot_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2022-02-09

The warrant the Minneapolis SWAT team served that led to the fatal shooting of Amir Locke was targeted at his 17-year-old cousin Mekhi Speed, reported CNN. Through surveillance footage, investigators linked Speed to a stolen car that was identified as the getaway vehicle in a homicide. Speed was arrested Tuesday.

CNN reported there were two other people who were persons of interest in the crime. Warrants were obtained to search three apartments in the building where Locke was killed: one where Speed lived with his mother, another on the floor connected to a co-suspect and another belonging to the girlfriend of Speed’s brother, per USA Today. Police had court documents establishing the police’s cause for making an arrest.

From CNN:

Attorneys for the Locke family released a statement Tuesday confirming Speed was Locke’s cousin, reading in part, “His cousin was not present in Unit 701,” the statement began. “We must remain focused on the fact that Amir was an innocent young man of a raid gone terribly wrong, who is now the latest statistic and victim of the dangerous and intrusive no-knock warrant techniques that must be banned.”

Speed is facing two counts of second-degree murder and may be charged as an adult by prosecutors, per CNN. January 10, St. Paul officers responded to the shooting and killing of 38-year-old Otis Elder. Investigators traced a Mercedes-Benz from the crime scene to the apartment building where Locke was.
Both no-knock and knock warrants were obtained for the Minneapolis SWAT team so they could “make the best possible decision about entry” said Interim Police Chief Amelia Huffman. Police were looking for Speed but as they approached Locke, who was asleep on the couch, Officer Hanneman opened fire upon seeing his handgun. Speed’s brother and his brother’s girlfriend were in the apartment at the time Locke was shot, reported CNN.

From CNN:

Hanneman has been placed on administrative leave, as is policy, pending the ongoing investigation. The Minneapolis Police Officers Federation released a statement, reading in part, “Officers were obviously prepared for a very dangerous and high-risk situation. During the event, as shown in the body-camera footage, Officer Hanneman quickly encountered Mr. Locke who was armed with a handgun and made the decision to use deadly force.”

“No officer goes into a dangerous setting like this wanting to use a weapon. That decision was not taken lightly, and the impact of the use of deadly force will affect these officers, their families, and the family of Mr. Locke for the rest of their lives,” it continued.

This case couldn’t be more heart-wrenching. Not only was this another innocent Black life taken by coward police but Locke was also profiled as a suspect. In that “split second” Hanneman saw his handgun and could’ve assumed Locke was actually his younger cousin. Locke didn’t even have the chance to give his name.
It seems that some police have forgotten that in m... (show quote)



Wood you decided to go to your alter ego today?

Reply
Feb 14, 2022 03:18:38   #
jelun
 
While you have a right to your opinion, so do the employees at The Root and so do I.
My opinion that the majority act cowardly each and every time they stand by and allow their "brothers in blue" to harass, harm, and terrorize the public. It happens daily, it is real and it is wrong.
BTW, I am calm. The suggestion that someone is out of control is a well known attempt to shut down discourse. No thanks.

Are you suggesting that police get to make instantaneous decisions based on an assessment of their need for safety but the average citizen does not? Law enforcement has knowledge that they consistently misjudge and endanger the public by using it poorly.
One of the conservatives on OPP used to frequently refer to a case in Connecticut that determined that law enforcement hires stupid people purposely. Maybe that is the issue and not cowardice.
The police did not make a snap judgment, they made a choice to enter that dwelling on a no knock rather than a knock warrant, they possessed both.
Thanks for answering my question, though. The part of WE that is YOU is worn out from police "misadventure" if you ever had sympathy for their victims at all.


Canuckus Deploracus wrote:
Calm down bro..

Referring to the police as cowards (a blanket statement) is wrong... And the root makes numerous other generalizations that are derogatory or racist...

Yes, some police are bad... But not the majority, and certainly not in this case.. The officer made a snap judgement...

I'm going to assume that the police shouting "police warrant" was enough that an individual wouldn't automatically reach for a gun.... I can't find anything about him being a registered owner, but that's a fair assumption... Picking it up was his right, but hardly the smartest decision at the time...

How are you going to prove prejudice??? Police do no knock raids on white people and shoot them when they're armed as well....

Sucks that the young man died..I'm sure the officer feels even more regretful... Just one if those things that needs to be fixed...
Calm down bro.. br br Referring to the police as ... (show quote)

Reply
 
 
Feb 14, 2022 03:29:12   #
Canuckus Deploracus Loc: North of the wall
 
jelun wrote:
While you have a right to your opinion, so do the employees at The Root and so do I.
My opinion that the majority act cowardly each and every time they stand by and allow their "brothers in blue" to harass, harm, and terrorize the public. It happens daily, it is real and it is wrong.
BTW, I am calm. The suggestion that someone is out of control is a well known attempt to shut down discourse. No thanks.

Are you suggesting that police get to make instantaneous decisions based on an assessment of their need for safety but the average citizen does not? Law enforcement has knowledge that they consistently misjudge and endanger the public by using it poorly.
One of the conservatives on OPP used to frequently refer to a case in Connecticut that determined that law enforcement hires stupid people purposely. Maybe that is the issue and not cowardice.
The police did not make a snap judgment, they made a choice to enter that dwelling on a no knock rather than a knock warrant, they possessed both.
Thanks for answering my question, though. The part of WE that is YOU is worn out from police "misadventure" if you ever had sympathy for their victims at all.
While you have a right to your opinion, so do the ... (show quote)


You come across as agitated... I don't believe in shutting down discourse... That's more of a leftist tactic...

There might be something to the police hiring lower IQ individuals... A college education is not a requirement for employment...

For the US, I think the issue is the lack of training... I understand it's a matter of weeks... Versus the years individuals spend training in other nations...

Public don't get to make snap decisions when police are involved...Sorry, but that's reality...

It's almost cultural... Over here, Americans have a strong reputation for being arrogant in the face of authority... Especially liberals...It's one of the reasons that most Americans who have been in China for more than three years are conservatives...

I didn't understand your last statement... Never knew the family...So don't really emphasize with the situation...

Reply
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Leaning Left
OnePoliticalPlaza.com - Forum
Copyright 2012-2022 IDF International Technologies, Inc.