One Political PlazaSM - Home of politics
Utah Democrat Pistol-Whips Man Over Drug Debt
Jul 25, 2014 18:22:56   #
bmac32 Loc: West Florida
 
It is probably safe to suggest that Mark Byrge’s long-shot candidacy for Utah’s House District 56 just suffered a relatively significant set-back:

A Utah legislative candidate was charged with assault and kidnapping this week after police said he forced a man into his home at gunpoint and pistol-whipped him over a prescription drug debt.

Defendant Mark Byrge, 43, ran uncontested in the Democratic primary last month and is slated to run in November against Republican state Rep. Kay Christofferson in House District 56.

Byrge was arrested Monday on charges of aggravated assault, kidnapping and obstructing justice.

…

In court records, police said Byrge attacked Dayton Wright, who was treated at a hospital for large cuts on his face and the back of his head.

Byrge is being held in Utah County Jail on a $100,000 bond.

Police allege in the court documents that Byrge and Wright had been exchanging threatening text messages over money.

Byrge later told police the dispute was over an outstanding loan to Wright, but authorities said text messages indicate Byrge was demanding payment for prescription pain drugs he had given to Wright’s girlfriend.

Byrge asked Wright to come by his apartment on June 1. The men argued and Byrge hit Wright in the face with a walking cane, police said.

The fight continued on the porch and front yard before Byrge pulled a gun and forced Wright inside at gunpoint, authorities said. Byrge pistol-whipped Wright and repeatedly threatened to kill him, court documents state.

The Utah Democrat party is not backing Byrge’s campaign, and would probably prefer that he renounce his party affiliation.

Byrge will remain eligible to run in the race as long has he is not convicted of a felony.

Byrge already has a string of misdemeanor convictions and no context pleas dating back to 1991.

Republican state Rep. Kay Christofferson won House District 56 in 2012 with 88% of the vote.

| Reply
Jul 25, 2014 18:37:40   #
son of witless
 
bmac32 wrote:
It is probably safe to suggest that Mark Byrge’s long-shot candidacy for Utah’s House District 56 just suffered a relatively significant set-back:

A Utah legislative candidate was charged with assault and kidnapping this week after police said he forced a man into his home at gunpoint and pistol-whipped him over a prescription drug debt.

Defendant Mark Byrge, 43, ran uncontested in the Democratic primary last month and is slated to run in November against Republican state Rep. Kay Christofferson in House District 56.

Byrge was arrested Monday on charges of aggravated assault, kidnapping and obstructing justice.

…

In court records, police said Byrge attacked Dayton Wright, who was treated at a hospital for large cuts on his face and the back of his head.

Byrge is being held in Utah County Jail on a $100,000 bond.

Police allege in the court documents that Byrge and Wright had been exchanging threatening text messages over money.

Byrge later told police the dispute was over an outstanding loan to Wright, but authorities said text messages indicate Byrge was demanding payment for prescription pain drugs he had given to Wright’s girlfriend.

Byrge asked Wright to come by his apartment on June 1. The men argued and Byrge hit Wright in the face with a walking cane, police said.

The fight continued on the porch and front yard before Byrge pulled a gun and forced Wright inside at gunpoint, authorities said. Byrge pistol-whipped Wright and repeatedly threatened to kill him, court documents state.

The Utah Democrat party is not backing Byrge’s campaign, and would probably prefer that he renounce his party affiliation.

Byrge will remain eligible to run in the race as long has he is not convicted of a felony.

Byrge already has a string of misdemeanor convictions and no context pleas dating back to 1991.

Republican state Rep. Kay Christofferson won House District 56 in 2012 with 88% of the vote.
It is probably safe to suggest that Mark Byrge’s l... (show quote)


There is another Democrat scandal out west. Montana Senator John Walsh has been accused of plagiarism when he was at the US Army War College. This could have ramifications as the GOP seeks control of the Senate.

| Reply
Jul 25, 2014 18:43:15   #
bmac32 Loc: West Florida
 
Plagiarism sure isn't the worse crime but it surely shows lack of carter on his part.



son of witless wrote:
There is another Democrat scandal out west. Montana Senator John Walsh has been accused of plagiarism when he was at the US Army War College. This could have ramifications as the GOP seeks control of the Senate.

| Reply
Jul 25, 2014 18:52:34   #
lpnmajor Loc: Arkansas
 
bmac32 wrote:
Plagiarism sure isn't the worse crime but it surely shows lack of carter on his part.


If only we knew the back stories on ALL current politicians and the wannabe's. We probably wouldn't elect anyone. Come to think of it, that might not be a bad idea.

| Reply
Jul 25, 2014 19:03:59   #
bmac32 Loc: West Florida
 
Washington needs to be halved and a lot of rules changed.



lpnmajor wrote:
If only we knew the back stories on ALL current politicians and the wannabe's. We probably wouldn't elect anyone. Come to think of it, that might not be a bad idea.

| Reply
Jul 25, 2014 19:10:30   #
lpnmajor Loc: Arkansas
 
bmac32 wrote:
Washington needs to be halved and a lot of rules changed.


Yep, but who is going to do it? Many a person has promised to "change DC" - to get elected, then promptly become part of the same problem. I don't believe anything a politician says anymore. They all will say whatever they think will get them elected and the truth is not a requirement.

I think the States have got to take more of a supervisory role over the Congress. Go back to the way things were done 100 years ago.

| Reply
Jul 25, 2014 21:37:58   #
son of witless
 
bmac32 wrote:
Plagiarism sure isn't the worse crime but it surely shows lack of carter on his part.


I came across the Senator Walsh story in the NY Times. I am always amused when they run a scandal story and do not immediately identify the party affiliation. Since there was not automatically an R next to the name, I knew that buried somewhere I would find a D.

Your average liberal is not known for his reading skills and most likely would assume it was not a Democrat.

| Reply
Jul 25, 2014 22:15:10   #
bmac32 Loc: West Florida
 
Nothing new as you knew. If it had been a republican likely would have made front page. The liberal media has a tendency to bury democrat, maybe that's a hit?


son of witless wrote:
I came across the Senator Walsh story in the NY Times. I am always amused when they run a scandal story and do not immediately identify the party affiliation. Since there was not automatically an R next to the name, I knew that buried somewhere I would find a D.

Your average liberal is not known for his reading skills and most likely would assume it was not a Democrat.

| Reply
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
OnePoliticalPlaza.com - Forum
Copyright 2012-2020 IDF International Technologies, Inc.