One Political PlazaSM - Home of politics
Why my family left Russia...
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Page: 1 2 3 4 next>>
Feb 7, 2019 20:54:23   #
proud republican (a regular here)
 
Many of you by now know that i was born in Russia...But i dont think many of you know why my family left Russia....I am Jewish by religion...When i was in school i was harassed to the point that i would go home in tears.....Iwas called K name ..which is the same as calling black people N name....My dad was threatened almost every night by some thugs who lived in our neighborhood that they will kill him and his family one day...So my sister and i couldnt go out at night that much...My sister wasnt harassed as much because she was very young......My dad applied for visa to go to Israel,because we couldnt say that we are going to America since both of our countries were in bad standings with each other 1979.....But in school i told everybody that we are going to Finland for my dad's work...He was chemical Engineer....I couldnt say we are going to Israel because of harassment..But all of a suudden people who hated me whole heartedly all of a sudden became my friends and ordered bunch of Levis Jeans to bring back,since we only were going to be gone just for one year...Fooled them!!!! ...So one morning we left everything behind and were on our way to this beautiful country...Our first stop was Austria, we stayed for 2 weeks...Then by train we went beautiful Italia..We stayed there for 3 months....We abide all the rules..We had physical before entering USA..We abide by the rules and were fleeing the persecution...I forgot to mention that my cousin couldnt get into University because of his religion even though he was straight A student his whole life...My point is we are all fleeing from something,the point is we have to do it legally....BTW we have waited for exactly 5 yrs before we had permission to leave and only because we said we were going to Finland for only 1 year....That was 40 years ago this year!!!!

| Reply
Feb 7, 2019 21:00:21   #
proud republican (a regular here)
 
Oh yeah..We learned English,assimilated and been paying taxes ever since then....

| Reply
Feb 7, 2019 21:20:32   #
Liberty Tree (a regular here)
 
proud republican wrote:
Many of you by now know that i was born in Russia...But i dont think many of you know why my family left Russia....I am Jewish by religion...When i was in school i was harassed to the point that i would go home in tears.....Iwas called K name ..which is the same as calling black people N name....My dad was threatened almost every night by some thugs who lived in our neighborhood that they will kill him and his family one day...So my sister and i couldnt go out at night that much...My sister wasnt harassed as much because she was very young......My dad applied for visa to go to Israel,because we couldnt say that we are going to America since both of our countries were in bad standings with each other 1979.....But in school i told everybody that we are going to Finland for my dad's work...He was chemical Engineer....I couldnt say we are going to Israel because of harassment..But all of a suudden people who hated me whole heartedly all of a sudden became my friends and ordered bunch of Levis Jeans to bring back,since we only were going to be gone just for one year...Fooled them!!!! ...So one morning we left everything behind and were on our way to this beautiful country...Our first stop was Austria, we stayed for 2 weeks...Then by train we went beautiful Italia..We stayed there for 3 months....We abide all the rules..We had physical before entering USA..We abide by the rules and were fleeing the persecution...I forgot to mention that my cousin couldnt get into University because of his religion even though he was straight A student his whole life...My point is we are all fleeing from something,the point is we have to do it legally....BTW we have waited for exactly 5 yrs before we had permission to leave and only because we said we were going to Finland for only 1 year....That was 40 years ago this year!!!!
Many of you by now know that i was born in Russia.... (show quote)


This just shows that following the rules is not always easy, it make take time, but it can be done if one has the desire and perseverance to accomplish it. Those who cheat to get here and those who encourage them to do so just lack the intestinal fortitude and integrity that those who follow the rules and laws possess.

| Reply
Feb 7, 2019 21:27:00   #
proud republican (a regular here)
 
Liberty Tree wrote:
This just shows that following the rules is not always easy, it make take time, but it can be done if one has the desire and perseverance to accomplish it. Those who cheat to get here and those who encourage them to do so just lack the intestinal fortitude and integrity that those who follow the rules and laws possess.


Thanks!!!!

| Reply
Feb 7, 2019 21:34:06   #
Ricktloml (a regular here)
 
proud republican wrote:
Oh yeah..We learned English,assimilated and been paying taxes ever since then....


Welcome, and wonderful to have you here. You and your family are who immigration laws were passed to protect. You are a shining example of the way it should be done.

| Reply
Feb 7, 2019 21:38:41   #
Hadenough
 
proud republican wrote:
Oh yeah..We learned English,assimilated and been paying taxes ever since then....


Proud Republican,

You and your family should be the poster family for immigration being done the right way. You have shown many times on OPP how well you know the constitution of your new home. You probably know more than most natural born Americans. Russia's loss was our gain, Thank you for your patriotism! I salute you.
Stay Proud, I will stand beside you anytime.


Sincerely, Hadenough

| Reply
Feb 7, 2019 21:39:39   #
slatten49 (a regular here)
 
proud republican wrote:
Many of you by now know that i was born in Russia...But i dont think many of you know why my family left Russia....I am Jewish by religion...When i was in school i was harassed to the point that i would go home in tears.....Iwas called K name ..which is the same as calling black people N name....My dad was threatened almost every night by some thugs who lived in our neighborhood that they will kill him and his family one day...So my sister and i couldnt go out at night that much...My sister wasnt harassed as much because she was very young......My dad applied for visa to go to Israel,because we couldnt say that we are going to America since both of our countries were in bad standings with each other 1979.....But in school i told everybody that we are going to Finland for my dad's work...He was chemical Engineer....I couldnt say we are going to Israel because of harassment..But all of a suudden people who hated me whole heartedly all of a sudden became my friends and ordered bunch of Levis Jeans to bring back,since we only were going to be gone just for one year...Fooled them!!!! ...So one morning we left everything behind and were on our way to this beautiful country...Our first stop was Austria, we stayed for 2 weeks...Then by train we went beautiful Italia..We stayed there for 3 months....We abide all the rules..We had physical before entering USA..We abide by the rules and were fleeing the persecution...I forgot to mention that my cousin couldnt get into University because of his religion even though he was straight A student his whole life...My point is we are all fleeing from something,the point is we have to do it legally....BTW we have waited for exactly 5 yrs before we had permission to leave and only because we said we were going to Finland for only 1 year....That was 40 years ago this year!!!!
Many of you by now know that i was born in Russia.... (show quote)

Glad to have you here, P-R.

I have a question for you...curious: Have you ever seen 'Fiddler On The Roof,' and did you like it

| Reply
Feb 7, 2019 21:46:30   #
proud republican (a regular here)
 
slatten49 wrote:
Glad to have you here, P-R. dD

I have a question for you...curious: Have you ever seen 'Fiddler On The Roof,' and did you like it


Seen it to many times to count..Loved it very much!!!..Its also pretty accurate according to my grandma...And thank you,Slate...

| Reply
Feb 7, 2019 21:48:15   #
proud republican (a regular here)
 
Hadenough wrote:
Proud Republican,

You and your family should be the poster family for immigration being done the right way. You have shown many times on OPP how well you know the constitution of your new home. You probably know more than most natural born Americans. Russia's loss was our gain, Thank you for your patriotism! I salute you.
Stay Proud, I will stand beside you anytime.


Sincerely, Hadenough


Thank you Haden...Just want to show that no matter what you HAVE to come here the right way!!!

| Reply
Feb 7, 2019 21:48:42   #
nwtk2007 (a regular here)
 
proud republican wrote:
Many of you by now know that i was born in Russia...But i dont think many of you know why my family left Russia....I am Jewish by religion...When i was in school i was harassed to the point that i would go home in tears.....Iwas called K name ..which is the same as calling black people N name....My dad was threatened almost every night by some thugs who lived in our neighborhood that they will kill him and his family one day...So my sister and i couldnt go out at night that much...My sister wasnt harassed as much because she was very young......My dad applied for visa to go to Israel,because we couldnt say that we are going to America since both of our countries were in bad standings with each other 1979.....But in school i told everybody that we are going to Finland for my dad's work...He was chemical Engineer....I couldnt say we are going to Israel because of harassment..But all of a suudden people who hated me whole heartedly all of a sudden became my friends and ordered bunch of Levis Jeans to bring back,since we only were going to be gone just for one year...Fooled them!!!! ...So one morning we left everything behind and were on our way to this beautiful country...Our first stop was Austria, we stayed for 2 weeks...Then by train we went beautiful Italia..We stayed there for 3 months....We abide all the rules..We had physical before entering USA..We abide by the rules and were fleeing the persecution...I forgot to mention that my cousin couldnt get into University because of his religion even though he was straight A student his whole life...My point is we are all fleeing from something,the point is we have to do it legally....BTW we have waited for exactly 5 yrs before we had permission to leave and only because we said we were going to Finland for only 1 year....That was 40 years ago this year!!!!
Many of you by now know that i was born in Russia.... (show quote)


Yours was a tale of harassment due to religion/ethnicity? Or just religion. I have quite a few friends from various parts of Russia who freely come and go to and from there. But, much later, of course. Different times back then. Much more difficult.

| Reply
Feb 7, 2019 21:49:49   #
proud republican (a regular here)
 
Ricktloml wrote:
Welcome, and wonderful to have you here. You and your family are who immigration laws were passed to protect. You are a shining example of the way it should be done.


Thank you,Rick...My family was always sticklers about playing by the rules..They taught us that from the time we were little girls...

| Reply
Feb 7, 2019 22:11:06   #
slatten49 (a regular here)
 
proud republican wrote:
Seen it to many times to count..Loved it very much!!!..Its also pretty accurate according to my grandma...And thank you,Slate...

You're welcome, young lady.

I loved that musical, along with 'Yentl.' I really enjoyed 'Nicholas and Alexandra,' but 'War and Peace' (the movie) fell flat with me. I thought 'Doctor Zhivago' was great The only version of 'Potemkin' I saw was silent. Have you seen any of those What's your thoughts on 'em, if you would...via pm if you choose.

| Reply
Feb 7, 2019 22:15:10   #
proud republican (a regular here)
 
slatten49 wrote:
You're welcome, young lady.

I loved that musical, along with 'Yentl.' I really enjoyed 'Nicholas and Alexandra,' but 'War and Peace' (the movie) fell flat with me. I thought 'Doctor Zhivago' was great The only version of 'Potemkin' I saw was silent. Have you seen any of those What's your thoughts on 'em, if you would...via pm if you choose.
You're welcome, young lady. br br I loved that mu... (show quote)


I loves Yentl,,Barbara Streisend was great in it...But i dont know if you ever seen Anastasia..Its in a form of cartoon,but pretty accurate historically about assassination of Romanov family...

| Reply
Feb 7, 2019 22:38:11   #
slatten49 (a regular here)
 
proud republican wrote:
I loves Yentl,,Barbara Streisend was great in it...But i dont know if you ever seen Anastasia..Its in a form of cartoon,but pretty accurate historically about assassination of Romanov family...

Never saw that one, P-R, but almost confused it with Disney's animated classic 'Fantasia.' I do remember seeing the 1956 movie 'Anastasia,' in which Ingrid Bergman was an amnesiac who tried to pass being the thought-to-be assassinated daughter of Nicholas & Alexandra, at the urging of a swindling Russian conman played by Yul Brenner.

| Reply
Feb 7, 2019 22:43:16   #
proud republican (a regular here)
 
slatten49 wrote:
Never saw that one, P-R, but almost confused it with Disney's animated classic 'Fantasia.' I do remember seeing the 1956 movie 'Anastasia,' in which Ingrid Bergman was an amnesiac who tried to pass being the thought-to-be assassinated daughter of Nicholas & Alexandra, at the urging of a swindling Russian conman played by Yul Brenner.



Here's preview of this 1997 movie...


https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118617/videoplayer/vi3635806489?ref_=tt_ov_vi

| Reply
Page: 1 2 3 4 next>>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
OnePoliticalPlaza.com - Forum
Copyright 2012-2019 IDF International Technologies, Inc.