One Political PlazaSM - Home of politics
Federalist Papers, modern English version.
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Apr 3, 2014 09:56:56   #
MrEd Loc: Georgia
 
For those that have read my replies, you have noticed that I always include the Federalist Papers along with the Constitution as something you need to know. In the past, we had to do all of our learning from these papers that are written in old English and are hard for some people to understand. I will admit that it is hard in the beginning to understand but, you can learn to understand old English if you put your mind to it.

Well now there is an easier way. All 85 papers have been written in modern English which makes them so much easier to understand for the average person. There is a book out by Mary E Webster that has the Constitution and all 85 pages of the Federalist Papers in it written in modern English. The authors of these papers had a very good education and used words that were very precise in meaning, but we may not be aware of those meanings since we have changed the meaning of words so much now. It is really hard to look up every word that we don't understand and still not understand what they were saying, because of words we understand today did not mean the same thing back then.

http://www.amazon.com/Federalist-Papers-Modern-English-Two/dp/1434842193/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1396532411&sr=1-1&keywords=mary+e+webster

Here is a link for those that are interested in getting a copy of this book to read. I have one and all I can say about it is, it's fantastic. I have the print version, but there is also a Kindle version for those that would prefer those. I simply like to have a book in my hands when I am reading. It just feels better then reading it off the computer.

| Reply
Apr 3, 2014 10:15:51   #
Augustus Greatorex Loc: NE
 
MrEd wrote:
For those that have read my replies, you have noticed that I always include the Federalist Papers along with the Constitution as something you need to know. In the past, we had to do all of our learning from these papers that are written in old English and are hard for some people to understand. I will admit that it is hard in the beginning to understand but, you can learn to understand old English if you put your mind to it.

Well now there is an easier way. All 85 papers have been written in modern English which makes them so much easier to understand for the average person. There is a book out by Mary E Webster that has the Constitution and all 85 pages of the Federalist Papers in it written in modern English. The authors of these papers had a very good education and used words that were very precise in meaning, but we may not be aware of those meanings since we have changed the meaning of words so much now. It is really hard to look up every word that we don't understand and still not understand what they were saying, because of words we understand today did not mean the same thing back then.

http://www.amazon.com/Federalist-Papers-Modern-English-Two/dp/1434842193/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1396532411&sr=1-1&keywords=mary+e+webster

Here is a link for those that are interested in getting a copy of this book to read. I have one and all I can say about it is, it's fantastic. I have the print version, but there is also a Kindle version for those that would prefer those. I simply like to have a book in my hands when I am reading. It just feels better then reading it off the computer.
For those that have read my replies, you have noti... (show quote)


Next, you can buy Brian Devon's interpretation of the Federalist Papers and the Constitution?

"Interpretation" is the term for re-writing a manuscript in the same language for ease of understanding?

| Reply
Apr 3, 2014 10:57:30   #
no propaganda please Loc: moon orbiting the third rock from the sun
 
MrEd wrote:
For those that have read my replies, you have noticed that I always include the Federalist Papers along with the Constitution as something you need to know. In the past, we had to do all of our learning from these papers that are written in old English and are hard for some people to understand. I will admit that it is hard in the beginning to understand but, you can learn to understand old English if you put your mind to it.

Well now there is an easier way. All 85 papers have been written in modern English which makes them so much easier to understand for the average person. There is a book out by Mary E Webster that has the Constitution and all 85 pages of the Federalist Papers in it written in modern English. The authors of these papers had a very good education and used words that were very precise in meaning, but we may not be aware of those meanings since we have changed the meaning of words so much now. It is really hard to look up every word that we don't understand and still not understand what they were saying, because of words we understand today did not mean the same thing back then.

http://www.amazon.com/Federalist-Papers-Modern-English-Two/dp/1434842193/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1396532411&sr=1-1&keywords=mary+e+webster

Here is a link for those that are interested in getting a copy of this book to read. I have one and all I can say about it is, it's fantastic. I have the print version, but there is also a Kindle version for those that would prefer those. I simply like to have a book in my hands when I am reading. It just feels better then reading it off the computer.
For those that have read my replies, you have noti... (show quote)



Thank you for the information. Just bought it and will read it after I finish reading "Minutemen the Battle to Secure America's Borders" which I got at WND. Always looking for new information, not B*S* more than enough of that. I ordered two copies of the Minutemen so I could donate one to the local Friends of the NRA dinner raffle.

| Reply
Apr 3, 2014 11:09:22   #
Btfkr Loc: just outside the Mile High City
 
Mr Ed. I know we don't ever agree on matters, but thanks for this information. Here is a link that might save someone a couple of bucks.

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?an=webster&sts=t&tn=The+Federalist+Papers%3A+Modern+English+Edition+Two

Though I would prefer the actual book like you, I will likely get the ebook simply because I'm, to keep it in nice terms, "thrifty". According to (probably) most on here, the 10th grade reading level will be just perfect for me as well (though some may think it to high). :-P :-P

| Reply
Apr 3, 2014 12:14:14   #
PoppaGringo Loc: Muslim City, Mexifornia, B.R.
 
Btfkr wrote:
Mr Ed. I know we don't ever agree on matters, but thanks for this information. Here is a link that might save someone a couple of bucks.

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?an=webster&sts=t&tn=The+Federalist+Papers%3A+Modern+English+Edition+Two

Though I would prefer the actual book like you, I will likely get the ebook simply because I'm, to keep it in nice terms, "thrifty". According to (probably) most on here, the 10th grade reading level will be just perfect for me as well (though some may think it to high). :-P :-P
Mr Ed. I know we don't ever agree on matters, but... (show quote)


Being "thrifty" is an attribute, and should be encouraged. :thumbup:

| Reply
Apr 3, 2014 12:44:10   #
Btfkr Loc: just outside the Mile High City
 
Old_Gringo wrote:
Being "thrifty" is an attribute, and should be encouraged. :thumbup:


Thank you. Some call me a tight wad. or cheap, but I do prefer the term "thrifty" :-P :-P Perhaps the difference being I am generous when need be.

| Reply
Apr 3, 2014 13:14:14   #
MrEd Loc: Georgia
 
Btfkr wrote:
Mr Ed. I know we don't ever agree on matters, but thanks for this information. Here is a link that might save someone a couple of bucks.

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?an=webster&sts=t&tn=The+Federalist+Papers%3A+Modern+English+Edition+Two

Though I would prefer the actual book like you, I will likely get the ebook simply because I'm, to keep it in nice terms, "thrifty". According to (probably) most on here, the 10th grade reading level will be just perfect for me as well (though some may think it to high). :-P :-P
Mr Ed. I know we don't ever agree on matters, but... (show quote)


I don't disagree with everything you say, but I do have strong opinions, to say the least. Also, there is nothing wrong with being cheap or thrifty, however you want to put it and I have nothing against saving a few bucks.

Believe it or not, a 10th grade level is above the national average, which I believe is about 8th grade. The T.O.'s in the Air Force were rewritten to the 6th grade level, because most people could not understand them at 9th grade level. That's pretty bad considering that you must have a High School or GED level education just to get in and this was done back in the 70's before all this un-education was really taking hold.

| Reply
Apr 3, 2014 14:24:52   #
Btfkr Loc: just outside the Mile High City
 
MrEd wrote:
I don't disagree with everything you say, but I do have strong opinions, to say the least. Also, there is nothing wrong with being cheap or thrifty, however you want to put it and I have nothing against saving a few bucks.

Believe it or not, a 10th grade level is above the national average, which I believe is about 8th grade. The T.O.'s in the Air Force were rewritten to the 6th grade level, because most people could not understand them at 9th grade level. That's pretty bad considering that you must have a High School or GED level education just to get in and this was done back in the 70's before all this un-education was really taking hold.
I don't disagree with everything you say, but I do... (show quote)



Glad we can find some common ground sometimes.

As to education, I try to stay out of most the discussions as I have not much "skin in the game" except as very concerned citizen. ie the future rests with the children. I certainly do not profess to know much about solutions. I agree that the education system seems to be in a sad state of affairs. All I know is that for the tax $$ I spend for education we are not getting as much bang for the buck as we should be. I can only speak from my own educational experience. Back then public education was good, and when I went to college I was able to go to a 4 year State College while I worked nearly full time and was able to graduate without huge student loans. That is the way, in my humble opinion, it should be.

| Reply
Apr 3, 2014 14:32:52   #
PoppaGringo Loc: Muslim City, Mexifornia, B.R.
 
Btfkr wrote:
Glad we can find some common ground sometimes.

As to education, I try to stay out of most the discussions as I have not much "skin in the game" except as very concerned citizen. ie the future rests with the children. I certainly do not profess to know much about solutions. I agree that the education system seems to be in a sad state of affairs. All I know is that for the tax $$ I spend for education we are not getting as much bang for the buck as we should be. I can only speak from my own educational experience. Back then public education was good, and when I went to college I was able to go to a 4 year State College while I worked nearly full time and was able to graduate without huge student loans. That is the way, in my humble opinion, it should be.
Glad we can find some common ground sometimes. br ... (show quote)


I too was able to graduate in four years without student debt. I must admit to utilizing the GI Bill for part, a very small part, of my tuition. I also had a 'full time job', which amounted to about 36 hours per week, not counting the week-end employment.

| Reply
Apr 3, 2014 17:55:07   #
Btfkr Loc: just outside the Mile High City
 
Old_Gringo wrote:
I too was able to graduate in four years without student debt. I must admit to utilizing the GI Bill for part, a very small part, of my tuition. I also had a 'full time job', which amounted to about 36 hours per week, not counting the week-end employment.



Similar to me. I worked about 36 to 38 hours a week as well, and went primarily to night classes. The small company I worked for was very flexible to help me out with scheduling, but, if I do say so, I did a good job for them in return. I did not have the GI bill (high lottery number) but was able to live "at home" with my folks which helped immensely, perhaps making the difference between you and I in having/not having the GI bill. At any rate, I was prepared by public education for college, and college tuition was affordable, unlike today. (I do remember required books being VERY costly for the day though!).

| Reply
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
OnePoliticalPlaza.com - Forum
Copyright 2012-2019 IDF International Technologies, Inc.