One Political PlazaSM - Home of politics
Posts for: Pennylynn
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 1235 next>>
Jul 24, 2019 01:58:47   #
badbob85037 wrote:
The mothball fleet for the West Coast was docked in Carquines Straits. There were row after row of them. I was raised in Vallejo and my friends dad use to guard them. I kept track of that fleet over the years. The fleet is no longer there and vanished while obama was president. I have no idea if it was sold, sank or gave a way. I do know if obama had anything to do with it it's bad. At one time it had 340 ships.


Are you referencing the Suisun Bay Reserve Fleet aka Carquinez Straits? In 2009, Baykeeper, along with other environmental groups and local water quality regulators, sued in federal court under various environmental laws. They won a settlement to get the old ships out of Suisun and off to the scrapyard. I know of only one that was re-purposed into a museum, that was the Iowa. Today, only nine ships remain, plus the barge used as an office and maintenance base. One recently was added, a Navy tanker called the Petersburg and it could be turned around in a few days if called back to duty, and a skeleton crew lives on board. But, gone are the rust buckets... salvaged for metal or sank to create reefs.
 
Jul 24, 2019 01:00:16   #
proud republican wrote:
Have no idea....I really dont think they know it too....Reauthorization is going to last for 70 years...


I am in favor of this bill. Having said that, I think that ANYTIME the government decides to fund a bill, especially one that will go on for years, the first question and issue to agree upon should be how are we going to pay for this. Poppa taught me while I was too young to walk, nothing is free! This is particularly true with the government.
Jul 24, 2019 00:35:30   #
proud republican wrote:
It was Bipartisan Senate Vote 97 to 2 which almost never happens!!!!.....Kudos to them!!!


How do they intend to pay for this?
Jul 24, 2019 00:34:21   #
rumitoid wrote:
It’s The Poorest State, But In Trump’s Head, West Virginia Is The Best Off – Thanks To Him

In the world according to Donald Trump, West Virginia is “producing record setting numbers and doing really well” ― a complete reversal from when he took office, when “it was practically shut down and closed for business.”

In the actual world, West Virginia has increasing poverty, more deaths than births each year, a significantly smaller workforce than a decade ago and the lowest median household income in the country.

He is nearly certain to tout his fake, prosperous West Virginia rather than the true, impoverished one.

At an August, 2018, rally in Charleston, Trump claimed: “So we went from being down and out [to where] you’re one of the most successful in the union. Very close to the top. That is some big change.”

“By the way, your state is booming like never before,” Trump told a Wheeling rally audience the following month. “Poverty is plummeting.”

Economic data compiled by Trump’s own agencies, however, suggest the exact opposite.

A 2018 U.S. Census Bureau report found that West Virginia was one of a handful of states in the country where median household income actually decreased during Trump’s first year in office, falling $1,400 to $43,439 and dropping it below Mississippi to make it dead last among the 50 states. The state’s poverty rate increased to 19.1% in the same time period, a full 7 percentage points higher than the national average and the fourth worst in the country.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-west-virginia-222720246.html

How on earth can any sane and decent person tolerate Trump's pathological lies without speaking out and decrying this severe abuse of public trust? The cowardly GOP put their collective head in the sand but his base seems to love the duplicity. Do none of you on the Right worry about the image of America or the degenerative effect on our society that the president's falsehoods and ridiculous exaggerations will have. Who would want to be president now? Is he someone children should emulate and model?
It’s The Poorest State, But In Trump’s Head, West ... (show quote)


Like any state there are areas that are doing much better under President Trump while other areas are struggling. For example the Southwest part of the state that depends on coal mining is still dealing with the obama effect, where many mines were closed, the the cost of keeping them open under obama's administration was cost prohibited. So, income has fallen and unemployment is up. It is so bad that 1 out of every 6 household must depend on welfare to keep a roof over their heads. It is indeed grim. Having delivered the bad news first, many parts of the state is showing job growth.

–The state has added 8,700 jobs since 2017, all but 300 of them in just eight counties—Jefferson, Berkeley, Monongalia, Marshall, Harrison, Doddridge, Ritchie and Jackson Counties. Coal/natural gas and pipeline construction accounted for more than 7,000 of those added jobs.

–The Metro Valley (Kanawha, Putnam, Cabell) is holding its own. Since 2016, real wages are up four percent, but employment is down two percent.

–North Central West Virginia (Monongalia, Marion, Harrison, Taylor, Preston) is a growth area, driven primarily by Monongalia County. Wages have risen 18 percent in the last two years while employment is up six percent.

–The Eastern Panhandle (Jefferson, Berkeley, Morgan) is booming. Wages have risen 15 percent since 2016, while employment is up nine percent. The growth there is different from other parts of the state because the eastern panhandle has no coal or gas production.

–Deskins defines Ohio, Marshall, Wetzel, Tyler, Doddridge and Richie Counties as the “Shale Boom Region.” Employment has held steady, but wages have risen 16 percent in the last four years.

Governor Jim Justice has been touting the monthly revenue figures as a sign that the state’s economy has turned around. However, as research shows, the degree to which the economy has improved depends on what region of the state you are talking about.
Jul 23, 2019 21:36:56   #
Lonewolf wrote:
I am familiar with most of this I worked for the electric boat on the first trident sub.
I was also stationed at the Pihalelpa navy yard which had many old ships.
What I was referring to was trump wanted a new aircraft carrier and the Navy said they didn't need one and was going to decommission the Truman!
trump ordered a new carrier and stopped the decommission on the Truman that he wants to be refitted
and put back in service. So as I see it the Navy will have two carriers it doesn't want like the Army got tanks it didn't want.

https://www.defensenews.com/congress/2019/05/01/trump-reverses-his-own-aircraft-carrier-policy-takes-a-victory-lap/
I am familiar with most of this I worked for the e... (show quote)


Oh, I see.... that was a test. The USS Truman was not slated for decommissioning or mothballing. The House wanted it not to be refueled. But, as far as I know, she had a very successful flight operations in the Arctic. Mike Pence addressed the crew before departed, saying in part: "President Donald Trump asked me to deliver a message to each and every one of you on the deck of the USS Truman. We are keeping the best carrier in the world in the fight. We are not retiring the Truman. The USS Harry S. Truman is going to be giving ‘em hell for many more years to come.”
Jul 23, 2019 13:43:34   #
LizAnne wrote:
I am LizAnne from Republican country. I am a Progressive Democrat in most ways. I am hoping soon we can all come together and be able to get along and make our country what it use to be and better.


Welcome aboard! I am sure you will find many lively discussions where your wit, patience, and sanity will be tested. Hang in there and join in. Most people on OPP are passionate with their beliefs.... try not to take offense. Again, welcome!
 
Jul 23, 2019 13:40:10   #
Lonewolf wrote:
I'm sorry for that first sentence I'll try again.
The point I was trying to make is our bombing just causes more hatred.
We see ourselves as the knight on a white horse charging in to save the day, that is what I thought as a child. That was when the good guys wore white hats and bad guys black!
At best they tolerate us , because of the arms and equipment we provife!

As to oc talking about reducing military spending I'm not sure I very well might agree with her! Let me ask you something the dept of the navy decided to mothball a aircraft carrier
Because its no longer needed it! And was also not building any new ones.
Then trump orders that the ship not be mothballed but return to service and then ordered a new one built??????
Personally I trust the navy to know what they need!
There's money that could be cut I have no doubt trump has a friend at electric boat or Newport news!
I enjoy your posts and know once in awhile I'm wrong!
I'm sorry for that first sentence I'll try again. ... (show quote)


Navy mothballed ships is not really what a civilian envisions. Those ships are called the "mothballed fleet", which if you know history was very important in the Korean conflict. Had it not been for those ships, we would have had a much more difficult time in the Pacific and the conflict probably would have ended differently. In this category, in Bremerton the Navy has 18 to 21 Perry-class frigates, a pair of older Ticonderoga-class cruisers, and a handful of old amphibious ships. Pearl Harbor has five amphibious ships, and what appears to be a pair of old fleet-support ships, likely oilers or ammunition ships. The Ticonderogas are likely the ships being cannibalized, as there are still approximately 22 newer versions of the cruisers still in service. When this fleet was established, the thought was they could be put back into service during emergencies. This count is way down from the hundreds of ships in mothball during the cold war. Do not confuse these ships with the Navy Reserve, these ships will be slowly eaten by other in-service ships/boats. The cost to rehabilitate these ships would be greater than buying modernized equipment, abating the asbestos and lead paint alone would cost several million dollars. The reason the Kitty Hawk, I assume this is the one you had in mind, was put on the dismantle list ... she simply was not safe.... so she will be dismantled and recycled. We only have 288 ships (all classes) that cover the entire world..... If we engaged in another WWII type of situation, we would not control the water, although we would still dominate the sky. The Navy has requested funding for ships, by 2030 they hope to have 355 or 67 more boats. Most have been funded so no need to request more funds until those ships begin to roll out and then there will be "add on" to flesh them out to current needs that will be determined or unknown facts at this time.
Jul 23, 2019 12:03:20   #
Lonewolf wrote:
Sorry I hit the wrong button I was replying to you.


Not intending to be rude, but I have no idea your point of the first sentence. "......how many friends do we make bombing countries for 18 how long will we do this? Do we even know, my guess to we go broke!" Could you rephrase this?

I agree, when we pull out of the ME it will go back to tribal wars. If you, or anyone, expect them to change you are not living in the real world. This part of the world has no history of peaceful resolution to conflicts..... more than 6,000 year of killing each other will not be erased.

As for arms sales.... it is true that "Israel" (not israil) still sells arms to CA and Mexico. The arms sold are not jets, bombs, subs, ships..... most of the sales are to manage civil uprisings.

Although I do not have the gift of prophesy, I do not see an end to us poking our noses in countries around the world. Like the ME issues of tribal wars, we have a long history of getting involved in other people's wars. We like to think we have the best interest of those nations' inhabitants in mind, but ordinarily we jump in when we have something to gain. Fighting for the underdog was a nobel concept, but it is a farce. It is something we tell ourselves when the body count keeps going up. Don't get me wrong, there are just fight and causes.

As for Russia and China.... they have always had a dysfunctional love affair. Their relationship reminds me of a bad marriage that neither party can or will walk away from.

Sadly, although your opinions are interesting, it has NOTHING to do with OC and her attitude regarding pay and benefits for our military. I would like to refocus your attention back to the original thread. Unless you would like to capitulate.
Jul 23, 2019 11:20:57   #
Lonewolf wrote:
I agree with your post but how many friends do we make bombing countries for 18 how long will we do this? Do we even know, my guess to we go broke!
For years we refused to talk to the talaban but now we do , you know as well as I any deal made will turn out just like vietnam soon as we leave it will go back to a 3000 year old tribal society as it should!
Why do we and others keep selling the crazy people around the world wepones?
Year's ago israil was in south America selling arms to both sides in a conflict!
What happens when we can no longer afford this what happens to us and the world!
I think we're being played our enemies start a fire here and we go and expend our lives and resources. Then they start another fire and another and our enemies continue to get stronger.
Russia is getting cozy with china and Japan is talking a lot to them also!
Russia is cozy with Iran and syria. So the world is watching close trying to determine who the winner is! As far as Syria I would not really count them a alli.
I agree with your post but how many friends do we ... (show quote)


To whom are you replying?
Jul 22, 2019 22:52:05   #
Lonewolf wrote:
If you get loneley just threaten the life of a member of congress or president then sit back and wait a few minunits for the black suv to arive.
How long ago was it when the DOD couldent account for trillions and you want to give them more. They need to be cut we have been getting our asses kicked for over 18 years no plans going in no plans getting out no idea why were there and worse of all were no closer to victory than when we started and top it off we dont know what it would look like!


The Pentagon has had accountability problems ..... starting back in the 1950s. And having run a major program for DOD, I know why. PMs often "borrow" from a smaller program to meet the requirements of a more public or higher priority program and this requires "adjustments" to the financial sheets. Often these transactions are "forgotten" and appropriate adjustments are not made in every last audit trail. So, it often appears as if money is "lost" which is untrue, the money was spent on essential programs and it is just oversights in not making applicable changes in databases or accounting sheets.

So, instead of addressing my comment.... you want to change the subject and justify OC's message of reducing the budget for the military thus being the core truth in the satire of taters gotta tate. Of course we need to wake up to why satire is funny or wounding.... there is always a core of truth. The truth in the original thread is simple..... OC thinks we spend too much on the military. And the military is not just airplanes or tanks, those pieces of equipment would be useless without the military member and their families (family members deserve more credit for their contributions). The military are asked to do the unthinkable (for the average American) so that the citizens do not have to. They face enemies/foes on their grounds so that we do not have to fight on the shores from California to Maine...Weaken our military and our security can not be assumed or assured.
Jul 22, 2019 21:37:21   #
Lonewolf wrote:
Fake news a cop in LA posted s fake twitter with her saying that then he tweeted she should get a round to the head. Hopefully he will be fired.
This is dangerous shit when they can use your face and put your words in their mouth.
There will be a lot more of this!


Whereas the article is fake, she has spoken out in the past about the military budget. She has also suggested that the military budget be reduced. That alone may have driven this story. Here is a quote: "Just last year we gave the military a $700 billion dollar budget increase, which they didn’t even ask for," Ocasio-Cortez said July 26. "They were like, we don’t want another fighter jet! Don’t give us another nuclear bomb. They didn’t even ask for it. And we gave it to them." Her recommendation at the time was to cut the military to pay for "social programs." It is worthwhile to note that the military was not given a $700 billion increase, but a $61 billion to pay for facility upgrades (many of the WWII building were still being used for quarters), pay for family services and housing. The increase was long over due. So, this story was fabricated.... based on OC's complaint, she inferred that the military member is overpaid and outdated/obsolete equipment need not be replaced.

This article appeared in taters gona tate and plainly states "tatersgonnatate.com is a subsidiary of the “America’s Last Line of Defense” network of parody, satire, and tomfoolery..." Which to me means there is a grain of truth or fact and requires further investigation. Further, this site is a LIBERAL site, as they explain "Taters” are the conservative fans of America’s Last Line of Defense. They are fragile, frightened, mostly older caucasian Americans. They believe nearly anything. While we go out of our way to educate them that not everything they agree with is true, they are still old, typically ignorant, and again — very afraid of everything. Our mission is to do our best to show them the light, through shame if necessary, and to have a good time doing it, because…old and afraid or not, these people are responsible for the patriarchy we’re railing so hard against. They don’t understand logic and they couldn’t care less about reason. Facts are irrelevant. BUT…They do understand shame."

With that in mind, and the truth that OC has designs and apparent intent to have the military budget reduced, I wrote my opinion that she should join the military and at the end of her enlistment, make the determination that our military is given too big of a share in the budget. I stand by what I wrote. However, I do not agree with the tweets that she should be killed, as far as I know it is not against any law to be ignorant (as proven the state of OC's many remarks) and is not yet an executable offense in the USA. The officers should be investigated, but not necessarily fired for retweeting the satire found on taters gotta tate.
 
Jul 22, 2019 04:11:33   #
proud republican wrote:
https://tatersgonnatate.com/warbird/?fbclid=IwAR1zcskgyxbwM3RldlXAsBT41CnZa31MRcpj8ANk0eX3WrwzcycILi1NM6Q

She needs to spend some time in the military before opening her big fricking mouth!!!!


I guess she is not aware that the military actually never clocks out, you can be called back to work at anytime. And leave, approved well in advance can be canceled for any reason. So a typical military member does not earn $23 dollars an hour.... it is more like $5 an hour. Also, consider this.... they are paid to kill those who wish to do our nation harm. Not many people can pull the trigger.

So, I say pack her up and send her to boot camp (as if she could make it through the vetting process), have her strap on a 60 pound pack, crawl through the Obstacle Course and then run with that pack on the back for 5 miles..... daily! Have a headache...too bad, have cramps....too bad. Pregnant, up to 7th month....too bad. Child care problems, too bad (family was not issued). Just need a personal day.... tough luck. So, rain or shine, snow or heat.... you do your job 24/7. And should you fail, your squadron is punished so you learn quickly to work as a team and help each other through each day.... come what may. BTW, I am not just talking about the elite soldier.... I was in the Air Force, loved it and have no regrets. I was in the best shape of my life.... and there were days when I was unsure I could run another mile, thank G*d for my team mates!
Jul 22, 2019 02:55:11   #
Ricktloml wrote:
Funny isn't it that separation of church and everything in society, (if it's Judeo-Christian,) doesn't seem to apply to Islam. And yes, forced conversion or slavery/death has been the choice for 1,400+ years


I have no delusions that Islam is a cult of peace. We now have so many in the USA.... a Trojan Horse, and if the stuff ever hits the fans I have no doubt that Liberals will side against Conservatives and the USA as we know and love will just be a memory.
Jul 22, 2019 01:15:29   #
debeda wrote:
https://realconservativesunite.com/2019/07/21/immigrant-student-loses-miss-world-title-for-refusing-to-try-on-a-hijab/

ARTICLE


That is something! I think that the girl was right and should not be titled as insensitive. I suppose we all need to be careful of what we say on social media, when we are forced into Islam cult, what we write could land us in jail or dead.
Jul 21, 2019 23:31:05   #
Lonewolf wrote:
Because trump has studied Hitler and its starting to show at his rallys
Second Hitler had jews trump has brown people


This slogan was also used by Ronald Regan, Margaret Thatcher and Philippines Ferdinand E. Marcos. I imagine that many politicians have uttered that string of words at one time or another. I recall something that I heard many years ago.... there are no new novel thoughts or ideas, humans have evolved to the point that we recycle opinions or thoughts. We reinvision inventions and rephrase inspirational terms that are a thousand years old. It is not because anyone puts effort into studying facts or speeches it is simply that nothing is new. Indeed, what I just wrote is not new.... it comes from a translation in 1332 from the bible.... “The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun.” Billions of people have since lived and died one can only expect that a promise to make a nation great has been used and reused.


Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 1235 next>>
OnePoliticalPlaza.com - Forum
Copyright 2012-2019 IDF International Technologies, Inc.