One Political PlazaSM - Home of politics
An incredible nighttime view in the skies.
Feb 22, 2015 12:12:55   #
missinglink Loc: Tralfamadore
 
For those who enjoy great visuals, the space station passing over head is a must.

Here's a site that gives you a heads up when it will be passing over your head at night. Once you sign up you will be given directions for viewing.

Site
http://spotthestation.nasa.gov/

Auto email from them is brief but complete and accurate to view the station. Like this email I just received.
Time: Sun Feb 22 7:54 PM, Visible: 3 min, Max Height: 55 degrees, Appears: NW, Disappears: W

You should get away from ambient city lights to optimize viewing. A naturally dark clear night is best. Naked eye is plenty but a small set of eye glasses will but it in your lap.
As dark as the night might be, the station is in the daylight.
If you have children or grand children this is a must see.
Hope you enjoy this.

| Reply
Feb 22, 2015 14:17:24   #
Searching Loc: Rural Southwest VA
 
missinglink wrote:
For those who enjoy great visuals, the space station passing over head is a must.

Here's a site that gives you a heads up when it will be passing over your head at night. Once you sign up you will be given directions for viewing.

Site
http://spotthestation.nasa.gov/

Auto email from them is brief but complete and accurate to view the station. Like this email I just received.
Time: Sun Feb 22 7:54 PM, Visible: 3 min, Max Height: 55 degrees, Appears: NW, Disappears: W

You should get away from ambient city lights to optimize viewing. A naturally dark clear night is best. Naked eye is plenty but a small set of eye glasses will but it in your lap.
As dark as the night might be, the station is in the daylight.
If you have children or grand children this is a must see.
Hope you enjoy this.
For those who enjoy great visuals, the space stati... (show quote)


Thanks!! Living in the country, the night sky is beautiful, a little chilly at the moment, but still beautiful....

| Reply
Feb 22, 2015 14:42:24   #
missinglink Loc: Tralfamadore
 
You are welcome. You will be glad you used the notification of fly over times for your exact location. It's breath taking when viewed. Even by naked eye but with binoc's. well, it's hard to describe. You will see. Bet it's made your livestock jittery more than once. It's due over me this pm for 3 min. starting at 7:54.
I can guarantee I will be walking out my bad door at 7:53, look up and there it will be. Bigger than a school bus thru glasses.
Enjoy

Searching wrote:
Thanks!! Living in the country, the night sky is beautiful, a little chilly at the moment, but still beautiful....

| Reply
Feb 23, 2015 05:51:13   #
rjoeholl
 
Thanx! I live next to a golf course so I'll have an ideal spot.
missinglink wrote:
For those who enjoy great visuals, the space station passing over head is a must.

Here's a site that gives you a heads up when it will be passing over your head at night. Once you sign up you will be given directions for viewing.

Site
http://spotthestation.nasa.gov/

Auto email from them is brief but complete and accurate to view the station. Like this email I just received.
Time: Sun Feb 22 7:54 PM, Visible: 3 min, Max Height: 55 degrees, Appears: NW, Disappears: W

You should get away from ambient city lights to optimize viewing. A naturally dark clear night is best. Naked eye is plenty but a small set of eye glasses will but it in your lap.
As dark as the night might be, the station is in the daylight.
If you have children or grand children this is a must see.
Hope you enjoy this.
For those who enjoy great visuals, the space stati... (show quote)

| Reply
Feb 23, 2015 10:44:38   #
Blacksheep
 
missinglink wrote:
For those who enjoy great visuals, the space station passing over head is a must.

Here's a site that gives you a heads up when it will be passing over your head at night. Once you sign up you will be given directions for viewing.

Site
http://spotthestation.nasa.gov/

Auto email from them is brief but complete and accurate to view the station. Like this email I just received.
Time: Sun Feb 22 7:54 PM, Visible: 3 min, Max Height: 55 degrees, Appears: NW, Disappears: W

You should get away from ambient city lights to optimize viewing. A naturally dark clear night is best. Naked eye is plenty but a small set of eye glasses will but it in your lap.
As dark as the night might be, the station is in the daylight.
If you have children or grand children this is a must see.
Hope you enjoy this.
For those who enjoy great visuals, the space stati... (show quote)


Nice, thanks. I signed up. This is desert country and the night skies are filled with stars when the weather is clear. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

| Reply
Feb 23, 2015 11:10:24   #
no propaganda please Loc: moon orbiting the third rock from the sun
 
Blacksheep wrote:
Nice, thanks. I signed up. This is desert country and the night skies are filled with stars when the weather is clear. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:


It is harder to see the space station here in the mountains, but if the night is clear, the stars are plentiful and the station can be seen on its way by. We have been getting its alerts for several months now and when possible go out to look at it. It is going to be 5 below here tonight so, even if it comes by we will not be looking for it.

| Reply
Feb 23, 2015 11:13:39   #
Blacksheep
 
no propaganda please wrote:
It is harder to see the space station here in the mountains, but if the night is clear, the stars are plentiful and the station can be seen on its way by. We have been getting its alerts for several months now and when possible go out to look at it. It is going to be 5 below here tonight so, even if it comes by we will not be looking for it.


Brrrrr. Say what you will of Californians, the state itself has better weather than most places.

| Reply
Feb 23, 2015 11:43:27   #
Searching Loc: Rural Southwest VA
 
no propaganda please wrote:
It is harder to see the space station here in the mountains, but if the night is clear, the stars are plentiful and the station can be seen on its way by. We have been getting its alerts for several months now and when possible go out to look at it. It is going to be 5 below here tonight so, even if it comes by we will not be looking for it.


Winter skies so crisp and clear, unfortunately just like the weather, crisp. Saturday morning, it was -3F here. The last time I ventured out in COLD weather at night to look at the sky, meteor showers, that left me in awe. One of the things my father did gift me with was a reverence and an appreciation for nature. So many times growing up, my father and I would get up in the wee hours to view a lunar eclipse. My father borrowed a pair of binoculars so we could look at Haile's Comet as it sped by.

My oldest son, who turned 45 on Groundhog's Day, has a telescope, has since childhood. I have mostly fond, but a few scary memories of him climbing up on our roof in the suburbs to peer up at the night sky. The scary moments occured when he forgot where he was perched and I would hear very loud thumping noises as he came down the hard way off the roof!! Ahhhh, the good old days....

| Reply
Feb 24, 2015 12:30:30   #
Searching Loc: Rural Southwest VA
 
missinglink wrote:
You are welcome. You will be glad you used the notification of fly over times for your exact location. It's breath taking when viewed. Even by naked eye but with binoc's. well, it's hard to describe. You will see. Bet it's made your livestock jittery more than once. It's due over me this pm for 3 min. starting at 7:54.
I can guarantee I will be walking out my bad door at 7:53, look up and there it will be. Bigger than a school bus thru glasses.
Enjoy

Forgive me here, but I got carried away, couldn't help myself, nope.

From Winston O. Abbott's "Come Walk Among the Stars"

Come let us walk among the distant stars
There are no gates--no fences--and no bars.
Out there among the stars we will be free
There are no shadows for the heart to see.....

How strangely beautiful it is out there among the stars--where the silence is deep and penetrating--where one can hear one's own heartbeat and know that it belongs to infinity--there are no sounds to our footsteps--only the singing of endless galaxies of stars--there are no shadows--only the twinkling of millions of lights against the curtain of the night--there are no fences to keep one out or to keep one in--there are no barriers to discourage or restrain--out there among the distant stars we shall be as free as the gentle breeze that moves unseen in the darkness. How strange that there should be no weariness and no fatigue--no anxiety and no worry--no fear and no hatred--just an acceptance of all that is beautiful and enduring and true....

The stars are daisies in the field of night
Come--help me gather them before the light...

| Reply
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
OnePoliticalPlaza.com - Forum
Copyright 2012-2020 IDF International Technologies, Inc.