One Political Plaza - Home of politics
Home Active Topics Newest Pictures Search Login Register
Main
Nato: Which countries pay their share on defence?
Feb 12, 2024 15:44:18   #
AuntiE Loc: 45th Least Free State
 
https://www.forces.net/news/world/nato-which-countries-pay-their-share-defence

Nato: Which countries pay their share on defence?
12th February 2024 at 12:56pm

The number of Nato member nations meeting or exceeding the alliance's spending target is only one-third, according to official estimates.

The numbers have been highlighted after former US president Donald Trump made comments suggesting he might encourage Russia to attack members of the alliance who do not pay enough to Nato.

Nato Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg has criticised Mr Trump saying his words put US and European troops are "at increased risk".

In 2023, Mr Stoltenberg highlighted that allies had made progress, as there were now 11 nations clearing the spending threshold in comparison to 2022's seven.

The UK is one of the nations out of 30 believed to be hitting the target, but is no longer the fourth in the list of proportional spending, dropping to tenth, just ahead of Slovakia (2.03%).

Nato sets alliance members the aim of spending 2% of their gross domestic product (GDP) on defence.

But the latest estimates show now only 11 countries are achieving the target with France (1.90%), Germany (1.57%) and Norway (1.67%) notably below the 2% threshold.


UK's defence spending

However, Nato data suggests that UK defence spending as a percentage of GDP is also not in the strongest position with it once again dropping.

Despite increased threats and tensions in the world, the UK's percentage spent on defence has dropped rather than risen over recent years from 2.14% in 2014 to an estimated 2.07% in 2023.

NATO defence expenditure estimates for 2023 120224 CREDIT NATO.jpg
Defence spending by NATO nation, 2023 figures are estimates (Picture: NATO).
Ukraine war

The trend of countries that are bordering Ukraine, Russia, or its neighbour and ally Belarus, is now exceeding Nato's 2% guideline, following Russia's illegal invasion of Ukraine in February 2022.

Estonia (2.73%), Lithuania (2.54%), Finland (2.45%), Romania (2.44%), Hungary (2.43%) and Latvia (2.07%) are all exceeding the alliance's guideline for defence expenditure.

Poland is the alliance's biggest spender as a share of GDP, contributing 3.90%, spending even more than the US (3.49%) in second and Greece (3.01%) the next closest.

The nations falling short of the alliance's target are France (1.90%), Montenegro (1.87%), North Macedonia (1.87%), Bulgaria (1.84%), Croatia (1.79%), Albania (1.76%), Netherlands (1.70%), Norway (1.67%), Denmark (1.65%), Germany (1.57%), Czech Republic (1.50%), Portugal (1.48%), Italy (1.46%), Canada (1.38%), Slovenia (1.35%), Turkey (1.31%), Spain (1.26%), Belgium (1.13%) and Luxembourg (0.72%).

Iceland, which does not have any armed forces, was not featured on the list.

Formed in the aftermath of the Second World War, Nato's original goals were to secure peace in Europe, promote co-operation among its members and counter the threat posed by the USSR, also known as the Soviet Union.



Reply
Feb 12, 2024 17:17:41   #
Lily
 
AuntiE wrote:
https://www.forces.net/news/world/nato-which-countries-pay-their-share-defence

Nato: Which countries pay their share on defence?
12th February 2024 at 12:56pm

The number of Nato member nations meeting or exceeding the alliance's spending target is only one-third, according to official estimates.

The numbers have been highlighted after former US president Donald Trump made comments suggesting he might encourage Russia to attack members of the alliance who do not pay enough to Nato.

Nato Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg has criticised Mr Trump saying his words put US and European troops are "at increased risk".

In 2023, Mr Stoltenberg highlighted that allies had made progress, as there were now 11 nations clearing the spending threshold in comparison to 2022's seven.

The UK is one of the nations out of 30 believed to be hitting the target, but is no longer the fourth in the list of proportional spending, dropping to tenth, just ahead of Slovakia (2.03%).

Nato sets alliance members the aim of spending 2% of their gross domestic product (GDP) on defence.

But the latest estimates show now only 11 countries are achieving the target with France (1.90%), Germany (1.57%) and Norway (1.67%) notably below the 2% threshold.


UK's defence spending

However, Nato data suggests that UK defence spending as a percentage of GDP is also not in the strongest position with it once again dropping.

Despite increased threats and tensions in the world, the UK's percentage spent on defence has dropped rather than risen over recent years from 2.14% in 2014 to an estimated 2.07% in 2023.

NATO defence expenditure estimates for 2023 120224 CREDIT NATO.jpg
Defence spending by NATO nation, 2023 figures are estimates (Picture: NATO).
Ukraine war

The trend of countries that are bordering Ukraine, Russia, or its neighbour and ally Belarus, is now exceeding Nato's 2% guideline, following Russia's illegal invasion of Ukraine in February 2022.

Estonia (2.73%), Lithuania (2.54%), Finland (2.45%), Romania (2.44%), Hungary (2.43%) and Latvia (2.07%) are all exceeding the alliance's guideline for defence expenditure.

Poland is the alliance's biggest spender as a share of GDP, contributing 3.90%, spending even more than the US (3.49%) in second and Greece (3.01%) the next closest.

The nations falling short of the alliance's target are France (1.90%), Montenegro (1.87%), North Macedonia (1.87%), Bulgaria (1.84%), Croatia (1.79%), Albania (1.76%), Netherlands (1.70%), Norway (1.67%), Denmark (1.65%), Germany (1.57%), Czech Republic (1.50%), Portugal (1.48%), Italy (1.46%), Canada (1.38%), Slovenia (1.35%), Turkey (1.31%), Spain (1.26%), Belgium (1.13%) and Luxembourg (0.72%).

Iceland, which does not have any armed forces, was not featured on the list.

Formed in the aftermath of the Second World War, Nato's original goals were to secure peace in Europe, promote co-operation among its members and counter the threat posed by the USSR, also known as the Soviet Union.
https://www.forces.net/news/world/nato-which-count... (show quote)


And progressive/socialist here on OPP go hysterical over Trump’s comments about defense of NATO countries. If they are unwilling to pay their share to defend themselves why should we defend them?

Reply
Feb 12, 2024 17:22:51   #
AuntiE Loc: 45th Least Free State
 
Lily wrote:
And progressive/socialist here on OPP go hysterical over Trump’s comments about defense of NATO countries. If they are unwilling to pay their share to defend themselves why should we defend them?


One question is is there still a need for NATO? The Soviet “Block” no longer exists.

Reply
 
 
Feb 12, 2024 17:25:14   #
American Vet
 
AuntiE wrote:
One question is is there still a need for NATO? The Soviet “Block” no longer exists.


Excellent post/observation.

Reply
Feb 12, 2024 17:53:35   #
AuntiE Loc: 45th Least Free State
 
American Vet wrote:
Excellent post/observation.


Maybe the answer is those who are paying the agreed upon percentage receive support if they are attacked. Those who do not pay the agreed percentage can fin for themselves.

Reply
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Main
OnePoliticalPlaza.com - Forum
Copyright 2012-2024 IDF International Technologies, Inc.