This is a really good recipe for cranberry sauce. It’s quite simple.
First you get 12 ounces of cranberries (the standard sack) at the market. There’s a recipe on the back that you use but you make two substitutions.
For the water, (8 ozs.) you substitute premium orange juice, not from concentrate. You might want to decrease the total volume of orange juice by an ounce or two, because it can be a little runny if you use the full amount.
For the sugar, you substitute an equal amount (8 ozs.) of pure maple syrup, not pancake syrup. Every market has several se******ns.
1. Combine the orange juice with the maple syrup in a saucepan. Bring it slowly to a simmering boil over low to medium heat, stirring frequently. It’s important to not bring it to a roiling boil but to a simmering boil; you don’t want to burn the maple syrup. Be very careful because once the small bubbles begin to form, the mixture can boil very quickly & overflow.
2. Then thoroughly rinse the cranberries and add them to the orange juice/maple syrup mixture. Continue cooking over low to medium heat, stirring frequently. Do this for five or ten minutes or until most of the cranberries seem popped. Then remove it from the direct heat and allow it to cool. When cool, refrigerate.
3. You can add some chopped walnuts, for a garnish, if desired.
4. For some of the orange juice you can also substitute a little Grand Marnier or Triple Sec (generic Cointreau).
A DYNAMITE RECIPE FOR EGG NOG
This recipe is from the Ritz of London and Paris. It will blow your socks off.
It serves 18 to 20 people who are braced for the best, and I use the word ‘braced’ advisedly. I only made it full strength using regular rum and not the Demerara, once for my wife’s family’s traditional Italian Christmas Eve celebration. Everyone said it was great but strong.
It really is good. My daughter just made it for an office party, without the alcohol, and everyone said it was the best they’d ever had. A couple of people said they’d never liked egg nog before.
1. One dozen eggs separated into yolks & w****s,
2. One cup of sugar,
3. Three cups of brandy,
4. Two cups of Demerara Rum (that’s the 151 proof, guys!) But you can use the regular rum, preferably amber,
5. One half cup of sherry or madeira,
6. Two and a half cups of milk,
7. One and a half cups of heavy cream, whipped,
8. Two and a half cups of cream,
9. Fresh nutmeg.
1. Beat yolks with ½ cup of sugar until thick,
2. Beat in the brandy, rum, sherry, milk and cream,
3. Beat w****s until stiff,
4. Gradually add remaining half cup of sugar,
5. When w****s form soft peaks add the yolk mixture along with the whipped cream and fold it all together gently, using a spatula,
6. Combine the milk with the regular unwhipped cream,
7. Add the egg w****s, yolks and whipped cream mixture to the milk and cream mixture,
8. Sprinkle the nutmeg and then refrigerate until you use it.
If you want to reply, then register here
. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.