One Political PlazaSM - Home of politics
Reformers win: Public unions humiliated
Nov 6, 2014 11:36:24   #
JMHO Loc: Utah
 
Governor Scott Walker's victory proves that politicians can buck the unions – and win.

Public employee unions put everything they had in trying to defeat Wisconsin governor Scott Walker. The incumbent cruised to victory.

National unions spent tens of millions of dollars to defeat reform governors Walker, Kasich in Ohio, and Scott in Florida, and to re-elect Quinn in Illinois.

All for naught.

Wall Street Journal:

President Obama spent Election Day making calls for Democrats, including one to a radio host in which he blamed his party’s looming defeats on “probably the worst possible group of states for Democrats since Eisenhower.” He was referring to Senate races in states won by Mitt Romney. We’re not sure how he squares that with GOP Senate victories in Iowa and Colorado, both of which he carried twice.

But the bad-map theory certainly doesn’t explain the Republican sweep of governorships in Florida and the Midwest states that he carried twice. The victories by Scott Walker in Wisconsin, Rick Snyder in Michigan and Rick Scott in Florida are all the more impressive because they had dared to challenge the sanctum sanctorum of Democrat politics—public union power.

Mr. Walker famously reformed collective bargaining, and the AFL-CIO went all in against him first in a recall and is now a double loser. Mr. Snyder signed a right-to-work law in the home of the United Auto Workers and survived. Mr. Scott signed tenure reform and pay evaluation for teachers, while Democrat Charlie Crist played up to the unions.

The grand slam was completed by Republican Bruce Rauner, the private-equity manager who defeated incumbent Pat Quinn and the Democrat-public union alliance in Illinois, of all places. Mr. Rauner campaigned on pension reform and repealing Mr. Quinn’s tax increases.

It seems pretty clear that the voters rewarded those politicians who worked to break the monopoly of power held by public-sector unions by sending them back to the statehouse. Even more importantly in some ways, the myth of organized labor's power has been shattered, at least for the time being. That myth held back some governors from making necessary changes in pension benefit packages to avoid disaster.

Governor-Elect Rauner in Illinois will likely be the next leader to test public unions. Chicago public unions enjoy some of the best pensions in the country. Not surprisingly, there is a massive shortfall in contributions that threatens the pension system with collapse. The state's employee pensions are in a little better shape, but the health care system for retirees is draining state funds . Rauner will have to convince some Democrats to support reform – an interesting challenge in a state so heavily dominated by public unions, who support Democratic politicians almost exclusively.

Governor Walker has now won 3 races in 4 years – two of those races featured public unions that were energized and extraordinarily well-funded. Republican governors should note Walker's success and try to duplicate his efforts.

Read more: http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2014/11/reformers_win_public_unions_humiliated_.html#ixzz3IJ68BaMz

| Reply
Nov 6, 2014 11:40:55   #
jimahrens Loc: California
 
Unions are a thing of the past. There was a time that unions were needed those days are gone.
JMHO wrote:
Governor Scott Walker's victory proves that politicians can buck the unions – and win.

Public employee unions put everything they had in trying to defeat Wisconsin governor Scott Walker. The incumbent cruised to victory.

National unions spent tens of millions of dollars to defeat reform governors Walker, Kasich in Ohio, and Scott in Florida, and to re-elect Quinn in Illinois.

All for naught.

Wall Street Journal:

President Obama spent Election Day making calls for Democrats, including one to a radio host in which he blamed his party’s looming defeats on “probably the worst possible group of states for Democrats since Eisenhower.” He was referring to Senate races in states won by Mitt Romney. We’re not sure how he squares that with GOP Senate victories in Iowa and Colorado, both of which he carried twice.

But the bad-map theory certainly doesn’t explain the Republican sweep of governorships in Florida and the Midwest states that he carried twice. The victories by Scott Walker in Wisconsin, Rick Snyder in Michigan and Rick Scott in Florida are all the more impressive because they had dared to challenge the sanctum sanctorum of Democrat politics—public union power.

Mr. Walker famously reformed collective bargaining, and the AFL-CIO went all in against him first in a recall and is now a double loser. Mr. Snyder signed a right-to-work law in the home of the United Auto Workers and survived. Mr. Scott signed tenure reform and pay evaluation for teachers, while Democrat Charlie Crist played up to the unions.

The grand slam was completed by Republican Bruce Rauner, the private-equity manager who defeated incumbent Pat Quinn and the Democrat-public union alliance in Illinois, of all places. Mr. Rauner campaigned on pension reform and repealing Mr. Quinn’s tax increases.

It seems pretty clear that the voters rewarded those politicians who worked to break the monopoly of power held by public-sector unions by sending them back to the statehouse. Even more importantly in some ways, the myth of organized labor's power has been shattered, at least for the time being. That myth held back some governors from making necessary changes in pension benefit packages to avoid disaster.

Governor-Elect Rauner in Illinois will likely be the next leader to test public unions. Chicago public unions enjoy some of the best pensions in the country. Not surprisingly, there is a massive shortfall in contributions that threatens the pension system with collapse. The state's employee pensions are in a little better shape, but the health care system for retirees is draining state funds . Rauner will have to convince some Democrats to support reform – an interesting challenge in a state so heavily dominated by public unions, who support Democratic politicians almost exclusively.

Governor Walker has now won 3 races in 4 years – two of those races featured public unions that were energized and extraordinarily well-funded. Republican governors should note Walker's success and try to duplicate his efforts.

Read more: http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2014/11/reformers_win_public_unions_humiliated_.html#ixzz3IJ68BaMz
b Governor Scott Walker's victory proves that pol... (show quote)

| Reply
Nov 6, 2014 11:50:49   #
Super Dave Loc: Realville, USA
 
jimahrens wrote:
Unions are a thing of the past. There was a time that unions were needed those days are gone.
Agreed. But they are entrenched and have rich and powerful allies in government and the MSM.

They fear Scott Walker because he broke the seal on their entrenchment.

It's a matter of time before more Governors follow suit.. Which is of course, why the left threw everything they had at him.

He's got to be a prime candidate for President... If nothing else, it would be great to see him run just to watch the left's heads explode.

| Reply
Nov 6, 2014 17:02:38   #
jimahrens Loc: California
 
I was born in Wisconsin went to University there I am amazed at the transformation of such a liberal State.
Super Dave wrote:
Agreed. But they are entrenched and have rich and powerful allies in government and the MSM.

They fear Scott Walker because he broke the seal on their entrenchment.

It's a matter of time before more Governors follow suit.. Which is of course, why the left threw everything they had at him.

He's got to be a prime candidate for President... If nothing else, it would be great to see him run just to watch the left's heads explode.

| Reply
Nov 7, 2014 09:56:02   #
Super Dave Loc: Realville, USA
 
jimahrens wrote:
I was born in Wisconsin went to University there I am amazed at the transformation of such a liberal State.

Walker is 'da man.

| Reply
Nov 7, 2014 09:58:33   #
jimahrens Loc: California
 
I think he would make one hell of a good President
Super Dave wrote:
Walker is 'da man.

| Reply
Nov 7, 2014 10:00:13   #
Super Dave Loc: Realville, USA
 
jimahrens wrote:
I think he would make one hell of a good President


:thumbup:

| Reply
Nov 7, 2014 10:06:35   #
Constitutional libertarian Loc: St Croix National Scenic River Way
 
JMHO wrote:
Governor Scott Walker's victory proves that politicians can buck the unions – and win.

Public employee unions put everything they had in trying to defeat Wisconsin governor Scott Walker. The incumbent cruised to victory.

National unions spent tens of millions of dollars to defeat reform governors Walker, Kasich in Ohio, and Scott in Florida, and to re-elect Quinn in Illinois.

All for naught.

Wall Street Journal:

President Obama spent Election Day making calls for Democrats, including one to a radio host in which he blamed his party’s looming defeats on “probably the worst possible group of states for Democrats since Eisenhower.” He was referring to Senate races in states won by Mitt Romney. We’re not sure how he squares that with GOP Senate victories in Iowa and Colorado, both of which he carried twice.

But the bad-map theory certainly doesn’t explain the Republican sweep of governorships in Florida and the Midwest states that he carried twice. The victories by Scott Walker in Wisconsin, Rick Snyder in Michigan and Rick Scott in Florida are all the more impressive because they had dared to challenge the sanctum sanctorum of Democrat politics—public union power.

Mr. Walker famously reformed collective bargaining, and the AFL-CIO went all in against him first in a recall and is now a double loser. Mr. Snyder signed a right-to-work law in the home of the United Auto Workers and survived. Mr. Scott signed tenure reform and pay evaluation for teachers, while Democrat Charlie Crist played up to the unions.

The grand slam was completed by Republican Bruce Rauner, the private-equity manager who defeated incumbent Pat Quinn and the Democrat-public union alliance in Illinois, of all places. Mr. Rauner campaigned on pension reform and repealing Mr. Quinn’s tax increases.

It seems pretty clear that the voters rewarded those politicians who worked to break the monopoly of power held by public-sector unions by sending them back to the statehouse. Even more importantly in some ways, the myth of organized labor's power has been shattered, at least for the time being. That myth held back some governors from making necessary changes in pension benefit packages to avoid disaster.

Governor-Elect Rauner in Illinois will likely be the next leader to test public unions. Chicago public unions enjoy some of the best pensions in the country. Not surprisingly, there is a massive shortfall in contributions that threatens the pension system with collapse. The state's employee pensions are in a little better shape, but the health care system for retirees is draining state funds . Rauner will have to convince some Democrats to support reform – an interesting challenge in a state so heavily dominated by public unions, who support Democratic politicians almost exclusively.

Governor Walker has now won 3 races in 4 years – two of those races featured public unions that were energized and extraordinarily well-funded. Republican governors should note Walker's success and try to duplicate his efforts.

Read more: http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2014/11/reformers_win_public_unions_humiliated_.html#ixzz3IJ68BaMz
b Governor Scott Walker's victory proves that pol... (show quote)


The WI public unions had a daily anti walker song/chant/sit in right in the middle of the rotundra of the state capital. Please tell me the citizens of WI weren't paying actual employees to do sit in's during the middle of the day every day for months on end.

I think unions still have a place but NOT gov employees. It is a conflict of interest, there is no evil corporation, no company town script, just hard working Americans paying taxes.

| Reply
Nov 7, 2014 10:08:11   #
jimahrens Loc: California
 
The way unions work is now a thing of the past. I believe if we abolish Teachers Unions our Children will actually get an Education. Tenure is a big problem and it needs to go. Hopefully this election has put some of the radical Liberal Organizations on notice were are not going to tolerate there Socialist agenda's anymore.
JMHO wrote:
Governor Scott Walker's victory proves that politicians can buck the unions – and win.

Public employee unions put everything they had in trying to defeat Wisconsin governor Scott Walker. The incumbent cruised to victory.

National unions spent tens of millions of dollars to defeat reform governors Walker, Kasich in Ohio, and Scott in Florida, and to re-elect Quinn in Illinois.

All for naught.

Wall Street Journal:

President Obama spent Election Day making calls for Democrats, including one to a radio host in which he blamed his party’s looming defeats on “probably the worst possible group of states for Democrats since Eisenhower.” He was referring to Senate races in states won by Mitt Romney. We’re not sure how he squares that with GOP Senate victories in Iowa and Colorado, both of which he carried twice.

But the bad-map theory certainly doesn’t explain the Republican sweep of governorships in Florida and the Midwest states that he carried twice. The victories by Scott Walker in Wisconsin, Rick Snyder in Michigan and Rick Scott in Florida are all the more impressive because they had dared to challenge the sanctum sanctorum of Democrat politics—public union power.

Mr. Walker famously reformed collective bargaining, and the AFL-CIO went all in against him first in a recall and is now a double loser. Mr. Snyder signed a right-to-work law in the home of the United Auto Workers and survived. Mr. Scott signed tenure reform and pay evaluation for teachers, while Democrat Charlie Crist played up to the unions.

The grand slam was completed by Republican Bruce Rauner, the private-equity manager who defeated incumbent Pat Quinn and the Democrat-public union alliance in Illinois, of all places. Mr. Rauner campaigned on pension reform and repealing Mr. Quinn’s tax increases.

It seems pretty clear that the voters rewarded those politicians who worked to break the monopoly of power held by public-sector unions by sending them back to the statehouse. Even more importantly in some ways, the myth of organized labor's power has been shattered, at least for the time being. That myth held back some governors from making necessary changes in pension benefit packages to avoid disaster.

Governor-Elect Rauner in Illinois will likely be the next leader to test public unions. Chicago public unions enjoy some of the best pensions in the country. Not surprisingly, there is a massive shortfall in contributions that threatens the pension system with collapse. The state's employee pensions are in a little better shape, but the health care system for retirees is draining state funds . Rauner will have to convince some Democrats to support reform – an interesting challenge in a state so heavily dominated by public unions, who support Democratic politicians almost exclusively.

Governor Walker has now won 3 races in 4 years – two of those races featured public unions that were energized and extraordinarily well-funded. Republican governors should note Walker's success and try to duplicate his efforts.

Read more: http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2014/11/reformers_win_public_unions_humiliated_.html#ixzz3IJ68BaMz
b Governor Scott Walker's victory proves that pol... (show quote)

| Reply
Nov 7, 2014 10:09:23   #
jimahrens Loc: California
 
How about a Walker, Ben Carson ticket.
Super Dave wrote:
:thumbup:

| Reply
Nov 7, 2014 10:15:45   #
Workinman Loc: Bayou Pigeon
 
jimahrens wrote:
How about a Walker, Ben Carson ticket.


I would support that ticket!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

| Reply
Nov 7, 2014 10:21:28   #
jimahrens Loc: California
 
I think it would be a great combination. There needs to be a serious discussion about the possibility. Let's put it out there see where it goes.
Workinman wrote:
I would support that ticket!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

| Reply
Nov 7, 2014 10:22:08   #
JMHO Loc: Utah
 
jimahrens wrote:
How about a Walker, Ben Carson ticket.


Maybe, let's wait and see...after the primaries.

| Reply
Nov 7, 2014 10:23:21   #
Workinman Loc: Bayou Pigeon
 
jimahrens wrote:
I think it would be a great combination. There needs to be a serious discussion about the possibility. Let's put it out there see where it goes.


Yes you are right I will do some digging for information so we can put it out there.

| Reply
Nov 7, 2014 11:55:56   #
jimahrens Loc: California
 
Thanks appreciate it.
Workinman wrote:
Yes you are right I will do some digging for information so we can put it out there.

| Reply
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
OnePoliticalPlaza.com - Forum
Copyright 2012-2020 IDF International Technologies, Inc.