One Political Plaza - Home of politics
Home Active Topics Newest Pictures Search Login Register
Main
Though I cannot understand the choice to not wear mask or take vaccine, aiding and abetting the spread of the virus is macabre Looney Tunes
Page 1 of 4 next> last>>
Sep 14, 2021 19:10:55   #
rumitoid
 
DeSantis dumps standardized testing in Florida schools

JACKSONVILLE, Florida — Gov. Ron DeSantis announced public schools in Florida will no longer administer end-of-year state testing and will instead rely on year-round monitoring to assess student progress.

At a press conference with state education officials in Clearwater, DeSantis also defended his decision to ban mask mandates and keep schools open, citing new data that show a decline in COVID-19 hospitalizations in the state.

“We continue to see the numbers decline,” DeSantis, a Republican, said, citing pandemic statistics from Florida's health department. “Our admissions have been the lowest they’ve been since about the middle of July.”

DeSantis is locked in a court battle over mask mandates in schools. The governor has imposed fines on school board members who impose the mandates, and the matter is now under a court challenge.

On Tuesday, DeSantis ended another mandate by eliminating a decades-old requirement that public schools administer the Florida Standards Assessment to all students in April of each year.

The assessments measure student progress in math, English, and other critical skills, but they have grown unpopular because they require weeks of classroom preparation that displaces other learning.

“Yes, we're going to continue to make sure that we're measuring results having high standards,” DeSantis said. “We're going to do it in a way that's more student-friendly, parent-friendly, and teacher-friendly. There's going to be more feedback. There's going to be more individualized assessments that are going to be possible.”

The move is likely to draw criticism from those who say the FSA is an important tool for measuring student progress and ensuring that those who graduate are proficient in core skills such as reading, writing, and math.

Most states implement some form of statewide testing.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/desantis-dumps-standardized-testing-florida-182300546.html

Reply
Sep 14, 2021 21:15:25   #
Wolf counselor Loc: Heart of Texas
 
rumitoid wrote:
DeSantis dumps standardized testing in Florida schools

JACKSONVILLE, Florida — Gov. Ron DeSantis announced public schools in Florida will no longer administer end-of-year state testing and will instead rely on year-round monitoring to assess student progress.

At a press conference with state education officials in Clearwater, DeSantis also defended his decision to ban mask mandates and keep schools open, citing new data that show a decline in COVID-19 hospitalizations in the state.

“We continue to see the numbers decline,” DeSantis, a Republican, said, citing pandemic statistics from Florida's health department. “Our admissions have been the lowest they’ve been since about the middle of July.”

DeSantis is locked in a court battle over mask mandates in schools. The governor has imposed fines on school board members who impose the mandates, and the matter is now under a court challenge.

On Tuesday, DeSantis ended another mandate by eliminating a decades-old requirement that public schools administer the Florida Standards Assessment to all students in April of each year.

The assessments measure student progress in math, English, and other critical skills, but they have grown unpopular because they require weeks of classroom preparation that displaces other learning.

“Yes, we're going to continue to make sure that we're measuring results having high standards,” DeSantis said. “We're going to do it in a way that's more student-friendly, parent-friendly, and teacher-friendly. There's going to be more feedback. There's going to be more individualized assessments that are going to be possible.”

The move is likely to draw criticism from those who say the FSA is an important tool for measuring student progress and ensuring that those who graduate are proficient in core skills such as reading, writing, and math.

Most states implement some form of statewide testing.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/desantis-dumps-standardized-testing-florida-182300546.html
DeSantis dumps standardized testing in Florida sch... (show quote)









Reply
Sep 14, 2021 21:30:25   #
Blade_Runner Loc: DARK SIDE OF THE MOON
 
rumitoid wrote:
Though I cannot understand the choice to not wear mask or take vaccine, aiding and abetting the spread of the virus is macabre Looney Tunes
I have never been tested for Covid, I have not been vaxxed, I wear the mask only when necessary to grab some groceries, and I am not infected.

So, lemme axe ya, how am I "aiding and abetting the spread" of Covid?

Oh, yeah, and our hospital hasn't treated a case in over 4 months.

Reply
 
 
Sep 14, 2021 21:46:17   #
PeterS
 
rumitoid wrote:
DeSantis dumps standardized testing in Florida schools

JACKSONVILLE, Florida — Gov. Ron DeSantis announced public schools in Florida will no longer administer end-of-year state testing and will instead rely on year-round monitoring to assess student progress.

At a press conference with state education officials in Clearwater, DeSantis also defended his decision to ban mask mandates and keep schools open, citing new data that show a decline in COVID-19 hospitalizations in the state.

“We continue to see the numbers decline,” DeSantis, a Republican, said, citing pandemic statistics from Florida's health department. “Our admissions have been the lowest they’ve been since about the middle of July.”

DeSantis is locked in a court battle over mask mandates in schools. The governor has imposed fines on school board members who impose the mandates, and the matter is now under a court challenge.

On Tuesday, DeSantis ended another mandate by eliminating a decades-old requirement that public schools administer the Florida Standards Assessment to all students in April of each year.

The assessments measure student progress in math, English, and other critical skills, but they have grown unpopular because they require weeks of classroom preparation that displaces other learning.

“Yes, we're going to continue to make sure that we're measuring results having high standards,” DeSantis said. “We're going to do it in a way that's more student-friendly, parent-friendly, and teacher-friendly. There's going to be more feedback. There's going to be more individualized assessments that are going to be possible.”

The move is likely to draw criticism from those who say the FSA is an important tool for measuring student progress and ensuring that those who graduate are proficient in core skills such as reading, writing, and math.

Most states implement some form of statewide testing.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/desantis-dumps-standardized-testing-florida-182300546.html
DeSantis dumps standardized testing in Florida sch... (show quote)

They are conservatives. They are governed by irrationalism. I will never understand them.

Reply
Sep 14, 2021 22:03:52   #
Blade_Runner Loc: DARK SIDE OF THE MOON
 
PeterS wrote:
They are conservatives. They are governed by irrationalism. I will never understand them.


I haven't a clue how you arrived at the conclusion that conservatives are "governed by irrationalism", and there is no changing your mind, so I reckon you'll have to live with that lie the rest of your miserable life.

Reply
Sep 14, 2021 22:09:25   #
JFlorio Loc: Seminole Florida
 
PeterS wrote:
They are conservatives. They are governed by irrationalism. I will never understand them.


At least we are governed by ourselves. You useful (fill in the blank) are governed by any suit with a D after their name. Get you some knee pads since you live on your knees.

Reply
Sep 15, 2021 01:01:26   #
PeterS
 
JFlorio wrote:
At least we are governed by ourselves. You useful (fill in the blank) are governed by any suit with a D after their name. Get you some knee pads since you live on your knees.

Oh come now, you believe every word that comes out of the mouths of the talking heads of Fox News and on the right. You can't "think" for yourself and dance to the tune of every demagogue out there.

Reply
 
 
Sep 15, 2021 01:08:42   #
PeterS
 
Blade_Runner wrote:
I haven't a clue how you arrived at the conclusion that conservatives are "governed by irrationalism", and there is no changing your mind, so I reckon you'll have to live with that lie the rest of your miserable life.

I know how to read a definition.

Irrationalism: 1) a system of belief or action that disregards or contradicts rational principles. 2) a system emphasizing intuition, instinct, feeling, or faith rather than reason or holding that the universe is governed by irrational forces.

It describes the current state of conservatism to a tee.

Reply
Sep 15, 2021 01:41:08   #
PeterS
 
Blade_Runner wrote:
I have never been tested for Covid, I have not been vaxxed, I wear the mask only when necessary to grab some groceries, and I am not infected.

So, lemme axe ya, how am I "aiding and abetting the spread" of Covid?

Oh, yeah, and our hospital hasn't treated a case in over 4 months.

What is the name of your hospital and where is it located? And you wear a mask when you go into the grocery? I never would have thought that of you. As for how you are aiding and abetting, you encourage people to disregard something that has the potential to kill their neighbors, their children, and themselves all based on anecdotal evidence gleaned from whatever hole in the wall you live in.

Reply
Sep 15, 2021 01:59:54   #
Blade_Runner Loc: DARK SIDE OF THE MOON
 
PeterS wrote:
I know how to read a definition.

Irrationalism: 1) a system of belief or action that disregards or contradicts rational principles. 2) a system emphasizing intuition, instinct, feeling, or faith rather than reason or holding that the universe is governed by irrational forces.

It describes the current state of conservatism to a tee.
You apply a dictionary definition to the conservative world view? Is that all you've got? Pretty lame. Foolish, actually.

For your sake, I do hope that your life is not governed solely by logic, that instincts, intuition, feelings and faith play no role. That would illogical, unreasonable and irrational.

In truth, logic plays a minor role in our daily lives. We wouldn't even be able to function without instincts, intuition, feelings and faith.

Science has established that the universe had a beginning. Edwin Hubble, for whom the orbiting telescope is named, discovered the galactic red shift, From his observations he calculated the galaxies were traveling outward from the same point in space - a "Singularity".

In the first picosecond of the Big Bang, all of the elements necessary for the universe to exist - matter, energy, time, and the forces and laws that govern the universe - were present. Obviously included were the Laws of Science, every last one of them.

So, what then is irrational about that?

Reply
Sep 15, 2021 02:34:34   #
Blade_Runner Loc: DARK SIDE OF THE MOON
 
PeterS wrote:
What is the name of your hospital and where is it located? And you wear a mask when you go into the grocery? I never would have thought that of you. As for how you are aiding and abetting, you encourage people to disregard something that has the potential to kill their neighbors, their children, and themselves all based on anecdotal evidence gleaned from whatever hole in the wall you live in.
Some businesses here, not all, require a face covering, therefore, when I need groceries or the like, I wear a mask. NBD.

I do not encourage anyone to disregard or to obey the Covid guidelines. It would be hypocritical for me to demand that others do what I do. They are free to make their own decisions on that score.

I have often seen a person driving alone in their car with the windows rolled up and wearing a mask.
I have seen entire families doing the same thing.
They are not "following the science", they are reacting to fear.

Our clinic and hospital are just across the street from me, separated by the parking lot and helo-pad. Our pharmacy is adjacent. I have the opportunity to talk to the doctors and nurses and pharmacists on occasion, off the record, without appointment.

And, thank you very much, but I do not live in a "hole in the wall". My home is comfortable and clean.

Reply
 
 
Sep 15, 2021 03:02:51   #
PeterS
 
Blade_Runner wrote:
You apply a dictionary definition to the conservative world view? Is that all you've got? Pretty lame. Foolish, actually.

For your sake, I do hope that your life is not governed solely by logic, that instincts, intuition, feelings and faith play no role. That would illogical, unreasonable and irrational.

In truth, logic plays a minor role in our daily lives. We wouldn't even be able to function without instincts, intuition, feelings and faith.

Science has established that the universe had a beginning. Edwin Hubble, for whom the orbiting telescope is named, discovered the galactic red shift, From his observations he calculated the galaxies were traveling outward from the same point in space - a "Singularity".

In the first picosecond of the Big Bang, all of the elements necessary for the universe to exist - matter, energy, time, and the forces and laws that govern the universe - were present. Obviously included were the Laws of Science, every last one of them.

So, what then is irrational about that?
You apply a dictionary definition to the conservat... (show quote)

The question to be asked is the big bang a natural event or one caused by a supernatural being. How you answer that determines whether you are rational or clinging to irrationalism to describe the world around you.

As for relying on instincts, intuition, feelings, and faith vs logic, I think it comes down to how you build your worldview and whether you use logic or rely solely on your instincts, intuition, feelings, and faith to do so. Conservatives' current rejection of science solely to bolster their political view...a view built on their instincts, intuition, feelings, and faith is a very good example of irrationalism and what I have been talking about.

Reply
Sep 15, 2021 08:33:27   #
JFlorio Loc: Seminole Florida
 
PeterS wrote:
Oh come now, you believe every word that comes out of the mouths of the talking heads of Fox News and on the right. You can't "think" for yourself and dance to the tune of every demagogue out there.


That's simply a lie. I agree with many of their views but do not believe every statement. I do independent research. Many times I find pundits from all sources putting their spin on reports.

Reply
Sep 15, 2021 09:04:27   #
Cuda2020
 
Recently a long time republican friend of mine, who is a nurse, also refused the shot, she contacted it and ended up in the hospital for two weeks, they wanted to release her but she wouldn't go unless with a prescribed O2 tank. She's not sure if her lungs have permanent damaged, she confessed she took it as just another flu and there were things people don't know.

In reference to wolfy's train wreck ,and the school bus, the train is the virus, but the bus is the unvaccinated, that's proven in the numbers of whose cases are in the hospitals. What does it take for people to wake up?

Reply
Sep 15, 2021 12:34:07   #
Peewee Loc: San Antonio, TX
 
PeterS wrote:
I know how to read a definition.

Irrationalism: 1) a system of belief or action that disregards or contradicts rational principles. 2) a system emphasizing intuition, instinct, feeling, or faith rather than reason or holding that the universe is governed by irrational forces.

It describes the current state of conservatism to a tee.


It also defines the Left and CNN. One lie after another.

Reply
Page 1 of 4 next> last>>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Main
OnePoliticalPlaza.com - Forum
Copyright 2012-2021 IDF International Technologies, Inc.