One Political Plaza - Home of politics
Home Active Topics Newest Pictures Search Login Register
Faith, Religion, Spirituality
The Ars Magna
Apr 1, 2021 23:35:41   #
Roamin' Catholic Loc: the Frozen Tundra
 
I believe that a broad definition of art is the bringing of order out of chaos. If the universe is truly God's Creation as opposed to something that happened for no reason, then we are living in and are part of the greatest work of art. If the universe is God's Creation, why did He make it? Christianity teaches that all things were made for Christ and through Him.

The faithful may at times want to evangelize, to spread the Gospel to our brothers and sisters who may be in despair. Often, people trapped in the secular world aren't open to hearing the Word of God. Jesus overcomes this impediment by meeting people where they are. It may require the introduction of empirical evidence such as experiencing a miracle, an apparition, a near-death experience or, as in the case of 13th century scholar Ramon Llull, the use of science and logic.

Ramon Llull, mathematician, writer, and Franciscan monk, was passionate about revealing the "Ars Magna", that is, the "Great Art", to non-Christians. He was a pioneer in the use of science and logic to validate the teaching of Judeo-Christian religion. Eventually he created a machine, a sort of primitive analog computer composed of concentric discs inscribed and synchronized to move so as to provide responses to appropriate questions and statements.

I'm fascinated by the manifestations of God in science and mathematics, so I became interested in Llull's machine. I've yet to find a detailed description or representation of this machine, which I imagine was very "da Vinci- like".

However, about the same time that I was researching Llull's Ars Magna,
I listened to an interview with noted astrophysicist, cosmologist and author Dr. Paul Davies. Hearing this interview enriched my life in a profound way. I behold the modern revelation of the Ars Magna.

We have searched and found, we have asked and it has been given to us, we knock and it is opening to us.

In my next post I will write about the content of the Davies interview.

Reply
Apr 2, 2021 21:51:45   #
Rose42
 
Sounds interesting.

Reply
Apr 3, 2021 01:36:43   #
Zemirah Loc: Sojourner En Route...
 
"I charge you in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who will judge the living and the dead, and in view of His appearing and His kingdom:
Preach the word; be prepared in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, and encourage with every form of patient instruction.
For the time will come when men will not tolerate sound doctrine, but with itching ears they will gather around themselves teachers to suit their own desires."
(2nd Timothy 4:1-3)

Roamin' Catholic wrote:
"The faithful may at times want to evangelize, to spread the Gospel to our brothers and sisters who may be in despair. Often, people trapped in the secular world aren't open to hearing the Word of God.



It has been true since the first century that no one is "open to the Word of God."

"No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him, and I will raise him up at the last day." (John 6:44)

The world is a sinful place, and one of the Holy Spirit’s primary tasks is to convict the world of its sin of unbelief - "because they believe not in Christ."

The world must also be convicted of righteousness, and this, too, is something the Holy Spirit does... despite the world’s stubborn denial of absolute truth.

The righteousness the world tries to deny is demonstrated in Christ. (Romans 3:23).
The world is facing judgment, and the Holy Spirit also convicts them of this truth.


Roamin' Catholic wrote:
Jesus overcomes this impediment by meeting people where they are.


"I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners, to repentance." (Luke 5:32)

Roamin' Catholic wrote:
It may require the introduction of empirical evidence such as experiencing a miracle, an apparition, a near-death experience or, as in the case of 13th century scholar Ramon Llull, the use of science and logic."



"But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise;
God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong.
He chose the lowly and despised things of the world, and the things that are not, to nullify the things that are, so that no one may boast in His presence."
(1st Corinthians 1:27-29)

Reply
 
 
Apr 3, 2021 05:54:48   #
Roamin' Catholic Loc: the Frozen Tundra
 
Thank you Zemirah!

The Holy Spirit speaks so eloquently, so beautifully! And the written Words of God transcend the millenia!

Reply
Apr 4, 2021 08:08:20   #
lindajoy Loc: right here with you....
 
Roamin' Catholic wrote:
I believe that a broad definition of art is the bringing of order out of chaos. If the universe is truly God's Creation as opposed to something that happened for no reason, then we are living in and are part of the greatest work of art. If the universe is God's Creation, why did He make it? Christianity teaches that all things were made for Christ and through Him.

The faithful may at times want to evangelize, to spread the Gospel to our brothers and sisters who may be in despair. Often, people trapped in the secular world aren't open to hearing the Word of God. Jesus overcomes this impediment by meeting people where they are. It may require the introduction of empirical evidence such as experiencing a miracle, an apparition, a near-death experience or, as in the case of 13th century scholar Ramon Llull, the use of science and logic.

Ramon Llull, mathematician, writer, and Franciscan monk, was passionate about revealing the "Ars Magna", that is, the "Great Art", to non-Christians. He was a pioneer in the use of science and logic to validate the teaching of Judeo-Christian religion. Eventually he created a machine, a sort of primitive analog computer composed of concentric discs inscribed and synchronized to move so as to provide responses to appropriate questions and statements.

I'm fascinated by the manifestations of God in science and mathematics, so I became interested in Llull's machine. I've yet to find a detailed description or representation of this machine, which I imagine was very "da Vinci- like".

However, about the same time that I was researching Llull's Ars Magna,
I listened to an interview with noted astrophysicist, cosmologist and author Dr. Paul Davies. Hearing this interview enriched my life in a profound way. I behold the modern revelation of the Ars Magna.

We have searched and found, we have asked and it has been given to us, we knock and it is opening to us.

In my next post I will write about the content of the Davies interview.
I believe that a broad definition of art is the br... (show quote)


I would love to listen to that interview if you can tell me when and where I might index for it??

Llull's Machine sounds very interesting as well...

Teaching to non~christians for conversion purposes or understanding the divinity??

Reply
Apr 4, 2021 08:19:52   #
lindajoy Loc: right here with you....
 
Zemirah wrote:
"I charge you in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who will judge the living and the dead, and in view of His appearing and His kingdom:
Preach the word; be prepared in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, and encourage with every form of patient instruction.
For the time will come when men will not tolerate sound doctrine, but with itching ears they will gather around themselves teachers to suit their own desires."
(2nd Timothy 4:1-3)




"But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise;
God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong.
He chose the lowly and despised things of the world, and the things that are not, to nullify the things that are, so that no one may boast in His presence."
(1st Corinthians 1:27-29)
"I charge you in the presence of God and of C... (show quote)


While not as well versed in quoting scripture to specifics, I ask what has been asked of me when discussing similar things with others about sins and my own confusion..

There is no doubt we are sinners... There is no doubt Jesus died for our sins and because of such we “ have bern saved.” If so, then how is it we shall perish for the sins of the world?? Some may escape this judgement but even true followers of Christ sin... What is the difference especially when beholding Jesus telling the murderer who was crucified with him, in his repentance he would be that day in Jesus’ paradise??

Reply
Apr 4, 2021 20:15:03   #
Roamin' Catholic Loc: the Frozen Tundra
 
[quote=lindajoy]I would love to listen to that interview if you can tell me when and where I might index for it??

_______reply_______
I heard this interview on the Catholic Radio station one morning about 15 years ago. Dr. Davies has several books published, I'm thinking that the interview was in conjunction with one of his books. I think a carefully worded Google search might find it. I will give it a try, thanks for the suggestion!

_______[quote=lindajoy]_______

Llull's Machine sounds very interesting as well...

Teaching to non~christians for conversion purposes or understanding the divinity??

_______reply_______
Ramon Llull was active during the Crusades but was not a combatant because of his religious vows. He actually was granted an audience with the Caliph or whatever of the Muslim force that was occupying Constantinople or someplace even though they were besieged by the Knights of the Crusade.

Llull's mission was to convert Muslims to Christianity by the use of science and logic. He was well respected and well received by the Muslims, they didn't cut off his head. But not a lot of noteworthy conversion took place.

He was, however, a great influence on Martin Luther.

Reply
 
 
Apr 5, 2021 06:00:41   #
lindajoy Loc: right here with you....
 
lindajoy wrote:
I would love to listen to that interview if you can tell me when and where I might index for it??

Llull's Machine sounds very interesting as well...

Teaching to non~christians for conversion purposes or understanding the divinity??


I looked Dr.Davis up.. He has some 30 books out that have interesting titles and I’m going thru them now to see which I may order.. Fascinating credentials...

Paul Davies is a theoretical physicist, cosmologist, astrobiologist and best-selling science author. He has published about 30 books and hundreds of research papers and review articles across a range of scientific fields. He is also well-known as a media personality and science popularizer in several countries. His research interests have focused mainly on quantum gravity, early universe cosmology, the theory of quantum black holes and the nature of time. He has also made important contributions to the field of astrobiology, and was an early advocate of the theory that life on Earth may have originated on Mars. For several years he has also been running a major cancer research project, and developed a new theory of cancer based on tracing its deep evolutionary origins. Among his many awards are the 1995 Templeton Prize, the Faraday Prize from The Royal Society, the Kelvin Medal and Prize from the Institute of Physics, the Robinson Cosmology Prize and the Bicentenary Medal of Chile. He was made a member of the Order of Australia in the 2007 Queen's birthday honours list and the asteroid 6870 Pauldavies is named after him. His more recent books include "The Demon in the Machine", "About Time", "The Origin of Life", "The Goldilocks Enigma: Why Is the Universe Just Right for Life?", "How to Build a Time Machine" and "The Eerie Silence: Are We Alone in the Universe?"

Reply
Apr 6, 2021 07:52:38   #
Zemirah Loc: Sojourner En Route...
 
Sin is rebellion against God. It is disobedience to His revealed will as it is written in the Bible, God's revelation to man, without which we could not know Him or His love for us, or His plan, through Jesus Christ, to be reconciled with us.

It is true that "we are all sinners."

It is also true that we are saved only if we have received Christ as an act of our own free will.

Those who are in Christ Jesus are those who have professed their faith (belief) in
Jesus' propitiatory sacrifice as payment in full of the sin debt of death they owe to God, and have repented [not a gooey emotion], - for repentance literally means to turn [away from sin], and go another way.

Having accepted this precious gift of eternal life; they have instantly been cleansed of sin by the indwelling Holy Spirit with whom they are baptized into the universal body of Christ, which is composed of all believers in Jesus Christ upon the earth, and they are eternally sealed, for Jesus said the Comforter He would send would never leave you.

The Holy Spirit is God's seal on His people, His claim on us as His very own. The Greek word translated "earnest" in these passages is arrhabōn which means "a pledge," that is, part of the purchase money or property given in advance as security for the rest.

God looks at them, and instead of seeing their sin, He sees His sons' precious passover blood applied spiritually to the lintel and doorposts of their heart. He sees them as righteous and justified.

Subsequently remaining free of sin requires asking God for forgiveness - "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."
(1st John 1:9)

Having unconfessed sin in your life doesn't remove your salvation. You will not become unsaved, i.e., unglued from the seal of the Holy Spirit, but it will hinder, if not block your ability to communicate with God through your prayers.

Because of your own conscience, it will blemish the joy of your salvation.

There are verifying scriptures for this, Bible Hub is online. https://biblehub.com

There is only ONE who is worthy and able to take away the sins of the world, Jesus Christ.

John 1:29: "The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him and said, “Look, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!"

1 Corinthians 15:3
"For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures,"

1 Peter 1:19
but with the precious blood of Christ, a lamb without blemish or spot.

1 John 3:5
But you know that Christ appeared to take away sins, and in Him there is no sin.


One of the two thieves crucified with Jesus believed Jesus was the Son of God. He received just punishment for his crime from the earthly government. He was put to death.

He confessed he deserved the cross; he was saved because of his profession of faith in Jesus.
Faith is all that is required. One cannot "earn" or "work" his way into heaven.

It is a free gift of God... based only on our belief, repentance and acceptance.

Any good deeds that we do as Christians is a result of our salvation, and of being enabled by the indwelling Holy Spirit, it does not save us.

"One of the criminals who hung there heaped abuse on Him. "Are You not the Christ?" he said. "Save Yourself and us!
But the other one rebuked him, saying, 'Do you not even fear God, since you are under the same judgment?
We are punished justly, for we are receiving what our actions deserve. But this man has done nothing wrong.'
Then he said, "Jesus, remember me when You come into Your kingdom!
And Jesus said to him, "Truly I tell you, today you will be with Me in Paradise."
(Luke 23:39-43)


lindajoy wrote:
While not as well versed in quoting scripture to specifics, I ask what has been asked of me when discussing similar things with others about sins and my own confusion..

There is no doubt we are sinners... There is no doubt Jesus died for our sins and because of such we “ have bern saved.” If so, then how is it we shall perish for the sins of the world?? Some may escape this judgement but even true followers of Christ sin... What is the difference especially when beholding Jesus telling the murderer who was crucified with him, in his repentance he would be that day in Jesus’ paradise??
While not as well versed in quoting scripture to s... (show quote)

Reply
Apr 6, 2021 09:06:21   #
Roamin' Catholic Loc: the Frozen Tundra
 
Amen! And Happy Easter to you Zemirah! 😇

Reply
Apr 6, 2021 09:53:20   #
lindajoy Loc: right here with you....
 
Zemirah wrote:
Sin is rebellion against God. It is disobedience to His revealed will as it is written in the Bible, God's revelation to man, without which we could not know Him or His love for us, or His plan, through Jesus Christ, to be reconciled with us.

It is true that "we are all sinners."

It is also true that we are saved only if we have received Christ as an act of our own free will.

Those who are in Christ Jesus are those who have professed their faith (belief) in
Jesus' propitiatory sacrifice as payment in full of the sin debt of death they owe to God, and have repented [not a gooey emotion], - for repentance literally means to turn [away from sin], and go another way.

Having accepted this precious gift of eternal life; they have instantly been cleansed of sin by the indwelling Holy Spirit with whom they are baptized into the universal body of Christ, which is composed of all believers in Jesus Christ upon the earth, and they are eternally sealed, for Jesus said the Comforter He would send would never leave you.

The Holy Spirit is God's seal on His people, His claim on us as His very own. The Greek word translated "earnest" in these passages is arrhabōn which means "a pledge," that is, part of the purchase money or property given in advance as security for the rest.

God looks at them, and instead of seeing their sin, He sees His sons' precious passover blood applied spiritually to the lintel and doorposts of their heart. He sees them as righteous and justified.

Subsequently remaining free of sin requires asking God for forgiveness - "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."
(1st John 1:9)

Having unconfessed sin in your life doesn't remove your salvation. You will not become unsaved, i.e., unglued from the seal of the Holy Spirit, but it will hinder, if not block your ability to communicate with God through your prayers.

Because of your own conscience, it will blemish the joy of your salvation.

There are verifying scriptures for this, Bible Hub is online. https://biblehub.com

There is only ONE who is worthy and able to take away the sins of the world, Jesus Christ.

John 1:29: "The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him and said, “Look, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!"

1 Corinthians 15:3
"For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures,"

1 Peter 1:19
but with the precious blood of Christ, a lamb without blemish or spot.

1 John 3:5
But you know that Christ appeared to take away sins, and in Him there is no sin.


One of the two thieves crucified with Jesus believed Jesus was the Son of God. He received just punishment for his crime from the earthly government. He was put to death.

He confessed he deserved the cross; he was saved because of his profession of faith in Jesus.
Faith is all that is required. One cannot "earn" or "work" his way into heaven.

It is a free gift of God... based only on our belief, repentance and acceptance.

Any good deeds that we do as Christians is a result of our salvation, and of being enabled by the indwelling Holy Spirit, it does not save us.

"One of the criminals who hung there heaped abuse on Him. "Are You not the Christ?" he said. "Save Yourself and us!
But the other one rebuked him, saying, 'Do you not even fear God, since you are under the same judgment?
We are punished justly, for we are receiving what our actions deserve. But this man has done nothing wrong.'
Then he said, "Jesus, remember me when You come into Your kingdom!
And Jesus said to him, "Truly I tell you, today you will be with Me in Paradise."
(Luke 23:39-43)
Sin is rebellion against God. It is disobedience t... (show quote)


I agree absolutely with what you say here... I believe the very same...Without repenting our sins we can not truly walk in the path of Our savior..

Good grief tho, try as I or we might and having only the 10 commandments to love and follow I still have sin... I tell you there are days I give Thanks first and then ask for forgiveness in my whatever caused me to seek word to begin with..I can be driving, outside relishing in the beauty Mother Nature lays before us, sking a slope going to fast(😳) etcetcetc.. I just know and seek refuge from myself~~lol.. I’m not kidding I’m on a first spirit bases with Him...My name unimportant..

You humble me in all reality... Much of what you point out so graciously, I too, share with others in opinion..

Reply
 
 
Apr 6, 2021 14:46:10   #
Roamin' Catholic Loc: the Frozen Tundra
 
Zemirah wrote:


There are verifying scriptures for this, Bible Hub is online. https://biblehub.com



Thanks Zemirah, I hadn't heard of biblehub.com.

Now today I heard of it from you and also a priest I frequently listen to on Relevant Radio! I think the Lord is telling me something!

Reply
Apr 7, 2021 06:45:16   #
Zemirah Loc: Sojourner En Route...
 
A Happy belated Resurrection Day to you, Roamin' -

I have a tendency to ignore the finer social amenities.


Roamin' Catholic wrote:
Amen! And Happy Easter to you Zemirah! 😇

Reply
Apr 7, 2021 09:44:09   #
Roamin' Catholic Loc: the Frozen Tundra
 
Zemirah wrote:
A Happy belated Resurrection Day to you, Roamin' -

I have a tendency to ignore the finer social amenities.


"Resurrection Day"...I like that! 👍

Reply
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Faith, Religion, Spirituality
OnePoliticalPlaza.com - Forum
Copyright 2012-2021 IDF International Technologies, Inc.