One Political Plaza - Home of politics
Texas
Page: <<prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 21 next>>
Feb 18, 2021 16:33:52   #
archie bunker Loc: Texas
 
nwtk2007 wrote:
We had a storm like this in Dec 1989. A killer ice storm in Jan 1978. Was that also caused by climate change?

What we have is too many people moving in too fast. They come on faster than infrastructure can keep up. The areas where most of the outages occurred were fields back then. Now they are suburban sprawl.


I grew up in Amarillo, and moved to the country as soon as I could once I was able about 35 years ago.
My mail route begins literally 3 blocks west of my childhood home which was on the edge of town when we moved there. Now, fields I remember hunting prairie dogs, and riding dirt bikes in are covered with houses, and businesses. Pisses me off every time I have to deliver to that Wal-Greens because it sits on the best moto-cross track ever!

We seem to have done a little better here though. Not much in the blackout area here. But, there is a coal fired plant 3, or 4 miles as the crow flies from where I sit. As well as thousands of idle wind turbines, which, my understanding is, have their production routed down south.
They need more coal plants down that way in my opinion.
This winter is no different than many I've seen in my lifetime. And it very well could be how the state has handled the power distribution through it. I don't know. It seems somebody dropped the ball somewhere.
Could it be coal plants being regulated out of existence since they're killing people?

And what's this I've read from some here about not using anti freeze on coal, and wind turbines? LOL?
If you throw a cold lump of coal in a furnace, will it not burn?
Can you put anti freeze in the oil filled gearbox of a wind turbine. Do they make anti freeze for the multiple pounds of grease lubricating the massive bearings?
All those things are is a propeller attached to a gearbox, attached to a generator with a lot of "smart" stuff in between. Ice on the blades causes an inbalance, and they shut down. It ain't cold air.....


Sorry for rambling. I overfilled my truck, so I've been sitting here letting it burn some gas off.

| Reply
Feb 18, 2021 16:40:55   #
nwtk2007
 
archie bunker wrote:
I grew up in Amarillo, and moved to the country as soon as I could once I was able about 35 years ago.
My mail route begins literally 3 blocks west of my childhood home which was on the edge of town when we moved there. Now, fields I remember hunting prairie dogs, and riding dirt bikes in are covered with houses, and businesses. Pisses me off every time I have to deliver to that Wal-Greens because it sits on the best moto-cross track ever!

We seem to have done a little better here though. Not much in the blackout area here. But, there is a coal fired plant 3, or 4 miles as the crow flies from where I sit. As well as thousands of idle wind turbines, which, my understanding is, have their production routed down south.
They need more coal plants down that way in my opinion.
This winter is no different than many I've seen in my lifetime. And it very well could be how the state has handled the power distribution through it. I don't know. It seems somebody dropped the ball somewhere.
Could it be coal plants being regulated out of existence since they're killing people?

And what's this I've read from some here about not using anti freeze on coal, and wind turbines? LOL?
If you throw a cold lump of coal in a furnace, will it not burn?
Can you put anti freeze in the oil filled gearbox of a wind turbine. Do they make anti freeze for the multiple pounds of grease lubricating the massive bearings?
All those things are is a propeller attached to a gearbox, attached to a generator with a lot of "smart" stuff in between. Ice on the blades causes an inbalance, and they shut down. It ain't cold air.....


Sorry for rambling. I overfilled my truck, so I've been sitting here letting it burn some gas off.
I grew up in Amarillo, and moved to the country as... (show quote)


I have been saying this all weekk but you are the first to corroborate it. If they are out of balance due to ice on the blades, they will shake themselves apart.

| Reply
Feb 18, 2021 17:28:18   #
LogicallyRight Loc: Chicago
 
saltwind 78 wrote:
I want to express my concern for the people of Texas. I can't imagine what they are going through. It's not a question of money, there is plenty of money in Texas to take care the electric grid. In the long run, the ultimate problem is global warming. Until we substantially can lower our use of fossil fuels, this problem will get worse. That includes hotter weather over all, terrible winter storms like the one in Texas, extreme dry winds causing massive forest and grassland fires in California, increased danger to native wildlife, and so much more.
In the short run, it might be a good idea to take another look at the independent Texas electric grid. If they could have accepted electric power grid, this would have come off a lot better.
I want to express my concern for the people of Tex... (show quote)


I love the logic or should I say, illogic. They are freezing because of Global warming.

| Reply
 
 
Feb 18, 2021 18:52:29   #
son of witless
 
woodguru wrote:
Societies and their technology are supposed to adapt and provide for unexpected disasters, getting hit with something new is a crisis, getting hit with something again after doing nothing to mitigate it is often criminal.


So you believe that cutting greenhouse gases will stop these severe weather events from happening ? But what if we do everything you ask and these events still happen ? But what if these events have always happened, even before the widespread use of fossil fuels ?

But what if you are too afraid to answer me ??????????????????????????????????????????????

That is the pattern with you lefties. You say things. I question you and I never hear from you again.

| Reply
Feb 18, 2021 19:28:32   #
archie bunker Loc: Texas
 
nwtk2007 wrote:
I have been saying this all weekk but you are the first to corroborate it. If they are out of balance due to ice on the blades, they will shake themselves apart.


Yep, and technicians aren't allowed within 100 yards of them when there is icing on the blades. The ice being slung off can be deadly.

| Reply
Feb 18, 2021 19:36:03   #
archie bunker Loc: Texas
 
son of witless wrote:
So you believe that cutting greenhouse gases will stop these severe weather events from happening ? But what if we do everything you ask and these events still happen ? But what if these events have always happened, even before the widespread use of fossil fuels ?

But what if you are too afraid to answer me ??????????????????????????????????????????????

That is the pattern with you lefties. You say things. I question you and I never hear from you again.


Get over it. They say their piece on the innerweb thinking their touch, and go just told everyone they are always right.
Woodglue is different though.
He has lived, and experienced every human situation, and condition that is possibly imaginable. If he hasn't, he knows someone who has.
Why bother with him? Other than swatting him like a fly?

| Reply
Feb 18, 2021 19:47:28   #
nwtk2007
 
archie bunker wrote:
Yep, and technicians aren't allowed within 100 yards of them when there is icing on the blades. The ice being slung off can be deadly.


I imagine so!

| Reply
 
 
Feb 18, 2021 20:18:01   #
son of witless
 
archie bunker wrote:
Get over it. They say their piece on the innerweb thinking their touch, and go just told everyone they are always right.
Woodglue is different though.
He has lived, and experienced every human situation, and condition that is possibly imaginable. If he hasn't, he knows someone who has.
Why bother with him? Other than swatting him like a fly?


These people say things. It is their American Given Right. If you say something you need to be able to defend it. They constantly throw crap against the wall and they think it sticks. Well a lot of it only sticks if it is not questioned. I do not assume that anything these people say is true.

| Reply
Feb 18, 2021 20:32:48   #
Willy46
 
Bet they change their minds now.

| Reply
Feb 18, 2021 22:39:57   #
saltwind 78 Loc: Queens, New York City
 
not, There is a big difference between weather and climate. What you experienced back then was a bad weather storm. When weather changes at the pace it does, it shows a real problem. Over 90% of the earth scientists said the global warming is being caused by the burning of fossil fuels, which releases gasses that have an effect similar to a green house. I'm not a scientist, but I believe the guys with PhD after their name. This must be viewed as a period of transition, in order to face an existential threat.

| Reply
Feb 18, 2021 22:44:47   #
saltwind 78 Loc: Queens, New York City
 
son of witless wrote:
So you believe that cutting greenhouse gases will stop these severe weather events from happening ? But what if we do everything you ask and these events still happen ? But what if these events have always happened, even before the widespread use of fossil fuels ?

But what if you are too afraid to answer me ??????????????????????????????????????????????

That is the pattern with you lefties. You say things. I question you and I never hear from you again.


son, We didn't get into this mess overnight, and it will take time to reverse the problem. We Americans have a problem with immediate gratification. It has to be fixed now. That might work if you are replacing a crumby QB on an NFL team on draft day, but reversing a century and a half of pouring poison onto the air, not so much,

| Reply
 
 
Feb 18, 2021 22:51:26   #
archie bunker Loc: Texas
 
saltwind 78 wrote:
not, There is a big difference between weather and climate. What you experienced back then was a bad weather storm. When weather changes at the pace it does, it shows a real problem. Over 90% of the earth scientists said the global warming is being caused by the burning of fossil fuels, which releases gasses that have an effect similar to a green house. I'm not a scientist, but I believe the guys with PhD after their name. This must be viewed as a period of transition, in order to face an existential threat.
not, There is a big difference between weather and... (show quote)


Hmmmm....ok.

It was a bad weather storm back then.....but today....its some bullshit that you've bought into?

Tell me salty, what caused the end of the last ice age? Why did the glaciers covering most of the North American continent melt, and recede?

Was it because of Billy Bob out there racing his 2 cycle go cart?
Was it Mastadon farts?

| Reply
Feb 18, 2021 22:54:04   #
archie bunker Loc: Texas
 
saltwind 78 wrote:
son, We didn't get into this mess overnight, and it will take time to reverse the problem. We Americans have a problem with immediate gratification. It has to be fixed now. That might work if you are replacing a crumby QB on an NFL team on draft day, but reversing a century and a half of pouring poison onto the air, not so much,


Move to the country. Live a cleaner life.
You live in the problem you complain about.

| Reply
Feb 18, 2021 22:59:37   #
RascalRiley
 
archie bunker wrote:
Hmmmm....ok.

It was a bad weather storm back then.....but today....its some bullshit that you've bought into?

Tell me salty, what caused the end of the last ice age? Why did the glaciers covering most of the North American continent melt, and recede?

Was it because of Billy Bob out there racing his 2 cycle go cart?
Was it Mastadon farts?


You must have missed a few history classes.

| Reply
Feb 18, 2021 23:04:32   #
RascalRiley
 
archie bunker wrote:
Move to the country. Live a cleaner life.
You live in the problem you complain about.


There is no escaping the mess we are creating. At best we can slow and try to mitigate the effects of tampering with the atmosphere. If we keep denying the effects our existence on earth will be short

| Reply
Page: <<prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 21 next>>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
OnePoliticalPlaza.com - Forum
Copyright 2012-2021 IDF International Technologies, Inc.