One Political Plaza - Home of politics
Home Active Topics Newest Pictures Search Login Register
Leaning Left
Call 'Em In
Dec 15, 2020 21:46:58   #
jelun
 
It was unsettling this morning to listen to a staff person claim to another "I will never be able to say his first name", then giggling. I did not respond in that moment as I didn't want to overreact.
I have decided that I need to address this the next time I come in contact with that staffer, probably a month from now.
I consider myself an anti-racist and think it is my responsibility to try to improve our relationships as I journey through life.
I would love to read any suggestions from those who have stumbled into racially insensitive territory without thinking about the effects of your actions and what you would react to best in a discussion about that.
This article may prompt some thoughts.
https://www.tolerance.org/magazine/spring-2019/speaking-up-without-tearing-down

Thanks.

Reply
Dec 15, 2020 22:04:19   #
Canuckus Deploracus Loc: North of the wall
 
jelun wrote:
It was unsettling this morning to listen to a staff person claim to another "I will never be able to say his first name", then giggling. I did not respond in that moment as I didn't want to overreact.
I have decided that I need to address this the next time I come in contact with that staffer, probably a month from now.
I consider myself an anti-racist and think it is my responsibility to try to improve our relationships as I journey through life.
I would love to read any suggestions from those who have stumbled into racially insensitive territory without thinking about the effects of your actions and what you would react to best in a discussion about that.
This article may prompt some thoughts.
https://www.tolerance.org/magazine/spring-2019/speaking-up-without-tearing-down

Thanks.
It was unsettling this morning to listen to a staf... (show quote)


I usually assign nicknames to friends who's names I find difficult to pronounce or remember...

Considering the trouble so many people of non western backgrounds have with my name I've learned to let it go...

A rose by any other name, right

Reply
Dec 15, 2020 23:33:03   #
jelun
 
I worked with many immigrants who chose to alter their names or choose initials to represent themselves to let their coworkers off the hook for either choosing a mnemonic system or simply asking the pronunciation of a name. None of the doctors or managers changed their names. It's all about power.
Just wondering, what nickname did you choose for them to call you?



Canuckus Deploracus wrote:
I usually assign nicknames to friends who's names I find difficult to pronounce or remember...

Considering the trouble so many people of non western backgrounds have with my name I've learned to let it go...

A rose by any other name, right

Reply
 
 
Dec 16, 2020 01:00:37   #
Canuckus Deploracus Loc: North of the wall
 
jelun wrote:
I worked with many immigrants who chose to alter their names or choose initials to represent themselves to let their coworkers off the hook for either choosing a mnemonic system or simply asking the pronunciation of a name. None of the doctors or managers changed their names. It's all about power.
Just wondering, what nickname did you choose for them to call you?


My friends choose the nicknames they use for me... Anything from Badagand (mmeans big ass in hindi) to Canuck... And some that are less polite...

Others just mispronounce my name... Kaar... Carl... Kyer... Not a big deal....

My Chinese name is 高兴, means "happy"... Was a nickname when I first came here...

Reply
Dec 18, 2020 16:12:24   #
Rose42
 
jelun wrote:
I worked with many immigrants who chose to alter their names or choose initials to represent themselves to let their coworkers off the hook for either choosing a mnemonic system or simply asking the pronunciation of a name. None of the doctors or managers changed their names. It's all about power.
Just wondering, what nickname did you choose for them to call you?


Some people are just jerks. The immigrants I've worked with didn't mind if you had to clarify how to say their name. Some Anglicized their name. You could simply try helping them to say it rather than giving them the smack they deserve. lol

Reply
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Leaning Left
OnePoliticalPlaza.com - Forum
Copyright 2012-2021 IDF International Technologies, Inc.