One Political PlazaSM - Home of politics
COVID curve: How the US compares to other nations
Page: 1 2 next>>
Jun 29, 2020 00:03:29   #
PeterS
 
With an exception of a few more backward nations, only the US has its COVID curve continuing to climb. Think about it, while other nations are free from COVID and their citizens have resumed a normal life we are still going to be locked down because the idiots amongst us simply couldn't wait to come out of hiding. Conservatives are determined to have this nation ravaged by COVID simply they won't follow directions and do what they are told...



| Reply
Jun 29, 2020 01:09:39   #
JW
 
PeterS wrote:
With an exception of a few more backward nations, only the US has its COVID curve continuing to climb. Think about it, while other nations are free from COVID and their citizens have resumed a normal life we are still going to be locked down because the idiots amongst us simply couldn't wait to come out of hiding. Conservatives are determined to have this nation ravaged by COVID simply they won't follow directions and do what they are told...


Population of FRANCE 65,273,104

Population of ITALY 60,462,076

Population of SPAIN 46,754,727

Population of USA 330,997,161

I'll say it one more time, Pete, THERE IS NO WAY TO PREVENT GETTING THE DISEASE ONCE IT ENTERS THE GENERAL POPULATION. The only thing this idiotic sequestration and masking has accomplished is to slow the progress of the disease.

It has already made it through the populations of those smaller nations. Our curve will drop once we stop this nonsense and get back to normal life.

| Reply
Jun 29, 2020 01:24:13   #
Coos Bay Tom Loc: coos bay oregon
 
Not all conservatives are anti maskers but a large majority are if OPP or Facebook are indicators. Who led the charge for early opening and protested the lockdowns as a forever loss of "freedom" give you one guess. I am 66 but have kids in school. My senior always excelled as long as he had a classroom to go to. Now in the age of Corona virus he does his classes on a laptop and he slacks off badly. I have learned that he is not a good self motivator. There may not be regular school next fall. I am not sure he will step up to the plate if it is another over the computer school year. I wish The Corona crisis had been dealt with at the start

| Reply
Jun 29, 2020 01:38:33   #
Coos Bay Tom Loc: coos bay oregon
 
JW wrote:
Population of FRANCE 65,273,104

Population of ITALY 60,462,076

Population of SPAIN 46,754,727

Population of USA 330,997,161

I'll say it one more time, Pete, THERE IS NO WAY TO PREVENT GETTING THE DISEASE ONCE IT ENTERS THE GENERAL POPULATION. The only thing this idiotic sequestration and masking has accomplished is to slow the progress of the disease.

It has already made it through the populations of those smaller nations. Our curve will drop once we stop this nonsense and get back to normal life.
Population of FRANCE 65,273,104 br br Population ... (show quote)
Speak for yourself-- I'll go with the medical experts. The virus does not care what political party you belong to.

| Reply
Jun 29, 2020 01:43:43   #
JW
 
Coos Bay Tom wrote:
Speak for yourself-- I'll go with the medical experts. The virus does not care what political party you belong to.


It doesn't care how long you try to hide from it either. Sooner or later, you have to come back to the world and when you do, the virus will be waiting for you.

| Reply
Jun 29, 2020 02:22:26   #
Canuckus Deploracus Loc: North of the wall
 
PeterS wrote:
With an exception of a few more backward nations, only the US has its COVID curve continuing to climb. Think about it, while other nations are free from COVID and their citizens have resumed a normal life we are still going to be locked down because the idiots amongst us simply couldn't wait to come out of hiding. Conservatives are determined to have this nation ravaged by COVID simply they won't follow directions and do what they are told...


Damn those conservatives and their BLM movement.... If only the selfish bastards had had the good sense not to protest during a pandemic... Idiots all....

| Reply
Jun 29, 2020 02:23:42   #
Canuckus Deploracus Loc: North of the wall
 
JW wrote:
Population of FRANCE 65,273,104

Population of ITALY 60,462,076

Population of SPAIN 46,754,727

Population of USA 330,997,161

I'll say it one more time, Pete, THERE IS NO WAY TO PREVENT GETTING THE DISEASE ONCE IT ENTERS THE GENERAL POPULATION. The only thing this idiotic sequestration and masking has accomplished is to slow the progress of the disease.

It has already made it through the populations of those smaller nations. Our curve will drop once we stop this nonsense and get back to normal life.
Population of FRANCE 65,273,104 br br Population ... (show quote)


Eaxh of those nations has had less than 5% of its population infected...

None have achieved herd immunity...

All had stricter lockdowns than the US...

| Reply
Jun 29, 2020 04:51:56   #
PeterS
 
JW wrote:
Population of FRANCE 65,273,104

Population of ITALY 60,462,076

Population of SPAIN 46,754,727

Population of USA 330,997,161

I'll say it one more time, Pete, THERE IS NO WAY TO PREVENT GETTING THE DISEASE ONCE IT ENTERS THE GENERAL POPULATION. The only thing this idiotic sequestration and masking has accomplished is to slow the progress of the disease.

It has already made it through the populations of those smaller nations. Our curve will drop once we stop this nonsense and get back to normal life.
Population of FRANCE 65,273,104 br br Population ... (show quote)

The EU has a population of a similar size to our country and every country in the EU has a curve similar to the ones you saw above.

JW, with all due respect you don't know your ass from a hole in the ground when it comes to infectious diseases. Your notion that COVID is impossible to stop is a bunch of bullshit and the above curves prove it. NY state has a curve similar to the nations above. How could they have gotten their cases to near zero if it was impossible to stop?

What is certain is that if you do nothing it will ravage the nation but the more you do to stop it the more we will be able to slow it down. BTW, what will happen to the economy if COVID runs unrestrained through our country? We will see hospitals at or near capacity and our healthcare workers on overload. What happens if you have a heart attack or stroke and every ICU is full of COVID patients? Are they going to kick someone off a ventilator or will they do what they can for you and just make you comfortable until you die. Do you think our economy will be sustainable when our healthcare system collapses?

The only reason our curve continues to grow is that do nothing Trump is president of this country. Anyone, including Pense, would have been a better president for this crisis. But Trump is consumed by reelection and knows that this virus pretty much sunk his chances for that to happen. And of course, the more he fumbles the ball the faster his chances go down the tube...

| Reply
Jun 29, 2020 06:42:02   #
Smedley_buzkill
 
PeterS wrote:
The EU has a population of a similar size to our country and every country in the EU has a curve similar to the ones you saw above.

JW, with all due respect you don't know your ass from a hole in the ground when it comes to infectious diseases. Your notion that COVID is impossible to stop is a bunch of bullshit and the above curves prove it. NY state has a curve similar to the nations above. How could they have gotten their cases to near zero if it was impossible to stop?

What is certain is that if you do nothing it will ravage the nation but the more you do to stop it the more we will be able to slow it down. BTW, what will happen to the economy if COVID runs unrestrained through our country? We will see hospitals at or near capacity and our healthcare workers on overload. What happens if you have a heart attack or stroke and every ICU is full of COVID patients? Are they going to kick someone off a ventilator or will they do what they can for you and just make you comfortable until you die. Do you think our economy will be sustainable when our healthcare system collapses?

The only reason our curve continues to grow is that do nothing Trump is president of this country. Anyone, including Pense, would have been a better president for this crisis. But Trump is consumed by reelection and knows that this virus pretty much sunk his chances for that to happen. And of course, the more he fumbles the ball the faster his chances go down the tube...
The EU has a population of a similar size to our c... (show quote)


Talk about ignorance. Why don't you tell us where you got YOUR medical degree, slick? Your comparison of the US to the EU is like comparing a Rhino to a Hippo. Two entirely different creatures. You claim that the entire EU shows rates like the three countries you posted, but I notice you were careful not to provide any graphs for them.
Here's one for ya, Einstein... this is the MORTALITY RATE for the US. I hate to tell you this, since you already know it all, but THIS is the important part. It doesn't matter how many people catch a cold, it matters how many die from it. You will notice our mortality rate has declined rapidly in spite of more cases. Click on the link and get someone to explain the graph to you. It clearly shows that our mortality rate has dropped to a level not seen since the middle of March. Put that in your crack pipe and smoke it.

https://www.google.com/search?q=US+mortality+rate+from+Covid&rlz=1C1GCEA_enUS894US894&oq=US+mortality+rate+from+Covid&aqs=chrome..69i57.10617j0j7&

Now once more so every one is clear....what was that you said to someone else about their not knowing their ass from a hole in the ground, slick?

| Reply
Jun 29, 2020 06:51:09   #
Smedley_buzkill
 
Coos Bay Tom wrote:
Speak for yourself-- I'll go with the medical experts. The virus does not care what political party you belong to.


Neither does this graph, Tom. The mortality rate from Corona has dropped to levels not seen since the middle of March. This is what matters. Not how many people get sick, but how many die.

https://www.google.com/search?q=US+mortality+rate+from+Covid&rlz=1C1GCEA_enUS894US894&oq=US+mortality+rate+from+Covid&aqs=chrome..69i57.10617j0j7&

The county I live in has about 50,000 residents and around 10,000 transients who work here but live elsewhere. Sixty thousand people. One death from Covid 19. These are stats from the GA DOH and the CDC in Atlanta. Meanwhile, these same organizations inform us that my county has had four people die from the plain old flu that pays us a visit every year.
Liberals continue to do their Chicken Little routine while ignoring the fact that the death rate has been dropping since May 5th. As a matter of fact, the rate is now the same as it was in the middle of March. Almost exactly the same, long before the spikes during the worst part of the pandemic in May.
Trump gets blamed for Obama's mistakes; mistakes that Biden knew all about. The masks that were used during the H1N1 were never replaced.
https://www.google.com/search?q=US+mortality+rate+from+Covid&rlz=1C1GCEA_enUS894US894&oq=US+mortality+rate+from+Covid&aqs=chrome..69i57.10617j0j7&

| Reply
Jun 29, 2020 07:09:59   #
Canuckus Deploracus Loc: North of the wall
 
Smedley_buzkill wrote:
Neither does this graph, Tom. The mortality rate from Corona has dropped to levels not seen since the middle of March. This is what matters. Not how many people get sick, but how many die.

https://www.google.com/search?q=US+mortality+rate+from+Covid&rlz=1C1GCEA_enUS894US894&oq=US+mortality+rate+from+Covid&aqs=chrome..69i57.10617j0j7&

The county I live in has about 50,000 residents and around 10,000 transients who work here but live elsewhere. Sixty thousand people. One death from Covid 19. These are stats from the GA DOH and the CDC in Atlanta. Meanwhile, these same organizations inform us that my county has had four people die from the plain old flu that pays us a visit every year.
Liberals continue to do their Chicken Little routine while ignoring the fact that the death rate has been dropping since May 5th. As a matter of fact, the rate is now the same as it was in the middle of March. Almost exactly the same, long before the spikes during the worst part of the pandemic in May.
Trump gets blamed for Obama's mistakes; mistakes that Biden knew all about. The masks that were used during the H1N1 were never replaced.
https://www.google.com/search?q=US+mortality+rate+from+Covid&rlz=1C1GCEA_enUS894US894&oq=US+mortality+rate+from+Covid&aqs=chrome..69i57.10617j0j7&
Neither does this graph, Tom. The mortality rate f... (show quote)


Remember in early March when the mortality rate was low and people were all relaxed.... Even though cases were increasing alarmingly.... Yeah

| Reply
Jun 29, 2020 09:28:18   #
Coos Bay Tom Loc: coos bay oregon
 
JW wrote:
It doesn't care how long you try to hide from it either. Sooner or later, you have to come back to the world and when you do, the virus will be waiting for you.
My corner of the world has been very safe. For that I am grateful. Providing every research lab is not de funded a vaccine will come about.

| Reply
Jun 29, 2020 10:46:00   #
nwtk2007
 
JW wrote:
Population of FRANCE 65,273,104

Population of ITALY 60,462,076

Population of SPAIN 46,754,727

Population of USA 330,997,161

I'll say it one more time, Pete, THERE IS NO WAY TO PREVENT GETTING THE DISEASE ONCE IT ENTERS THE GENERAL POPULATION. The only thing this idiotic sequestration and masking has accomplished is to slow the progress of the disease.

It has already made it through the populations of those smaller nations. Our curve will drop once we stop this nonsense and get back to normal life.
Population of FRANCE 65,273,104 br br Population ... (show quote)


Bingo. Also, if unreported, we don't see it. If not tested, we don't find it.

| Reply
Jun 29, 2020 15:36:46   #
JW
 
Canuckus Deploracus wrote:
Eaxh of those nations has had less than 5% of its population infected...

None have achieved herd immunity...

All had stricter lockdowns than the US...


I am addressing this to you but it is intended to reference all of the negative responses I got.

We have no idea what percentage of the populations has been in contact with the virus because we don't even know if the testing is accurate or not. False negatives have been a constant fly in that ointment. The virus affects different people differently autopsies have shown. As of now, no single test can be certain to detect the virus.

Basic logic 101, the smaller the herd, the sooner saturation can be reached. Basic logic 201, the longer a population is hidden from a communicable disease, the longer it will take to reach saturation.

Basic immunology 101, herd immunity results from either exposure or vaccination. Since no vaccine has been forthcoming, we are dependent on natural immunity. Corona viruses are notoriously difficult to stop. They are still working on one for the common cold. Again, we are dependent on natural immunity to reach herd immunity and that requires exposure to the virus.

Basic immunology 201, surviving past the natural life cycle of any disease is the only certain way to avoid it failing effective medical intervention. Viruses, most not being living organisms, can survive intact for millions of years under favorable conditions. That puts us back to reliance on herd immunity or dumb luck, for now.

Synopsis, failing reliable testing methods, failing 100% testing and failing a complete understanding of the pathology of the disease, there is no way to mitigate propagation of the disease. Considering the population sizes involved, the curves on Pete's graphs are exactly what is to be expected.

The entire purpose of sequestration was to prevent overwhelming the hospital system. That has been achieved, now lets quit playing doctor and get back to normal life.

| Reply
Jun 29, 2020 15:49:48   #
nwtk2007
 
JW wrote:
I am addressing this to you but it is intended to reference all of the negative responses I got.

We have no idea what percentage of the populations has been in contact with the virus because we don't even know if the testing is accurate or not. False negatives have been a constant fly in that ointment. The virus affects different people differently autopsies have shown. As of now, no single test can be certain to detect the virus.

Basic logic 101, the smaller the herd, the sooner saturation can be reached. Basic logic 201, the longer a population is hidden from a communicable disease, the longer it will take to reach saturation.

Basic immunology 101, herd immunity results from either exposure or vaccination. Since no vaccine has been forthcoming, we are dependent on natural immunity. Corona viruses are notoriously difficult to stop. They are still working on one for the common cold. Again, we are dependent on natural immunity to reach herd immunity and that requires exposure to the virus.

Basic immunology 201, surviving past the natural life cycle of any disease is the only certain way to avoid it failing effective medical intervention. Viruses, most not being living organisms, can survive intact for millions of years under favorable conditions. That puts us back to reliance on herd immunity or dumb luck, for now.

Synopsis, failing reliable testing methods, failing 100% testing and failing a complete understanding of the pathology of the disease, there is no way to mitigate propagation of the disease. Considering the population sizes involved, the curves on Pete's graphs are exactly what is to be expected.

The entire purpose of sequestration was to prevent overwhelming the hospital system. That has been achieved, now lets quit playing doctor and get back to normal life.
I am addressing this to you but it is intended to ... (show quote)


Also, we are finding out that it is less deadly than previously thought with the death rate down to 26 in 10,000 in the US. As we test more and more, the death rate will continue to decrease.

I am also hearing that a large portion of the beds in use in the southern states of Texas, Arizona and California are taken by recent immigrants from Mexico, most illegally here.

| Reply
Page: 1 2 next>>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
OnePoliticalPlaza.com - Forum
Copyright 2012-2020 IDF International Technologies, Inc.