One Political PlazaSM - Home of politics
We Hate Trump.
Page: <<prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 next>>
Feb 12, 2020 13:09:13   #
byronglimish Loc: Lapine Oregon
 
permafrost wrote:
President Obama reduced the black unemployment rate by 50%.. from 16% to 8% during the worst recession if 70 years.. trump reduced it 3% in time of recovered economy..

Professor Gates was an incident that could have affected the local police for decades.. President Obama went out of his way to defuse it..

Federal assistance was doing exactly what it was put in place to do. helping Americans in a disastrous time of need.. Great for all the victims of the great bush recession..




Perm, do you have a link to this claim..."Obama reduced black unemployment by 50%??

Or was this opinion?

| Reply
Feb 12, 2020 13:09:20   #
American Vet
 
permafrost wrote:
It was very difficult for Reagan and his administration to remove the act, but on the other hand it would be even more difficult to revive it.

https://muse.jhu.edu/article/612934

While today the Fairness Doctrine is associated with names like Rush Limbaugh, who was among its beneficiaries, this article brings to the forefront the names of Mark Fowler and Dennis Patrick, the chairmen of the FCC who presided over the process of repealing the doctrine. The research for this paper includes interviews with Fowler and Patrick and other principal actors who uniquely illuminate the story of repeal. The research also includes a review of FCC documents, including more than one hundred letters from various parties in 1984–85 that provide insight into positions and interests on both sides.

This research examines the role of the FCC chairmen as political entrepreneurs confronting challenges in the institutional environment and assuming the “risk” associated with dissenting from some in their own party. Although Fowler and Patrick served under a president who supported repeal, they ultimately required “cover” from the Supreme Court to change Fairness Doctrine policy. The story evaluates their success according to criteria associated with successful political entrepreneurs, including reputation, bureaucratic autonomy, and risk. It critically assesses to what extent their achievements were hindered by forces of opposition from their own party and facilitated by opinions of the courts. [End Page 376]

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

This is what most Dems think and support on the free speech position..

https://www.aclu.org/issues/free-speech

Freedom of expression is the matrix, the indispensable condition, of nearly every other form of freedom.”

—U.S. Supreme Court Justice Benjamin N. Cardozo in Palko v. Connecticut

Freedom of speech, the press, association, assembly, and petition: This set of guarantees, protected by the First Amendment, comprises what we refer to as freedom of expression. It is the foundation of a vibrant democracy, and without it, other fundamental rights, like the right to vote, would wither away.

The fight for freedom of speech has been a bedrock of the ACLU’s mission since the organization was founded in 1920, driven by the need to protect the constitutional rights of conscientious objectors and anti-war protesters. The organization’s work quickly spread to combating censorship, securing the right to assembly, and promoting free speech in schools.

Almost a century later, these battles have taken on new forms, but they persist. The ACLU’s Speech, Privacy, and Technology Project continues to champion freedom of expression in its myriad forms — whether through protest, media, online speech, or the arts — in the face of new threats. For example, new avenues for censorship have arisen alongside the wealth of opportunities for speech afforded by the Internet. The threat of mass government surveillance chills the free expression of ordinary citizens, legislators routinely attempt to place new restrictions on online activity, and journalism is criminalized in the name of national security. The ACLU is always on guard to ensure that the First Amendment’s protections remain robust — in times of war or peace, for bloggers or the institutional press, online or off.

Over the years, the ACLU has represented or defended individuals engaged in some truly offensive speech. We have defended the speech rights of communists, Nazis, Ku Klux Klan members, accused terrorists, pornographers, anti-LGBT activists, and flag burners. That’s because the defense of freedom of speech is most necessary when the message is one most people find repulsive. Constitutional rights must apply to even the most unpopular groups if they’re going to be preserved for everyone.
It was very difficult for Reagan and his administr... (show quote)


Thank you for a lengthy rant.

Now answer the question: How is free speech suppressed today?

| Reply
Feb 12, 2020 13:12:20   #
nwtk2007
 
American Vet wrote:
Thank you for a lengthy rant.

Now answer the question: How is free speech suppressed today?


By holding impeachment hearings behind closed doors, by selectively omitting questions for witnesses, by preventing the president from having his own attorney at the closed door questioning, etc, etc.

| Reply
Feb 12, 2020 13:26:29   #
American Vet
 
nwtk2007 wrote:
By holding impeachment hearings behind closed doors, by selectively omitting questions for witnesses, by preventing the president from having his own attorney at the closed door questioning, etc, etc.



| Reply
Feb 12, 2020 13:51:19   #
permafrost Loc: Minnesota
 
byronglimish wrote:
Perm, do you have a link to this claim..."Obama reduced black unemployment by 50%??

Or was this opinion?



I can indeed but all you have to do is a quick look at one of the graphs I posted.. it is clear as a bell.

| Reply
Feb 12, 2020 14:44:42   #
Seth
 
PeterS wrote:
Ain't that the truth...


What makes President Trump a racist? I keep hearing that from your ilk, but have yet to see any evidence.

Yeah, yeah, I know... You can't break with the party line.

| Reply
Feb 12, 2020 14:49:08   #
rafterman Loc: South Florida
 
PeterS wrote:
Ain't that the truth...


1st, I would like for you to please provide me with a specific case of Trump being racist. I'm sorry, but I need to be enlightened. Please take the time to give me an example so that I can understand your position. 2nd, I NEVER hated Obama - I disagreed with his policies. I thought he was a thoughtful guy, but always seemed to be lecturing. However, that's just my take. It seems to me, if I disagreed with President Obama, I should not be pigeon holed as a racist. Look, I disagreed with Obamacare. So by your analysis, I am a racist. Sure doesn't make any sense to me.
Anyway, I would appreciate you enlightening me on these two points.
Please respond.

| Reply
Feb 12, 2020 14:54:28   #
Sonny Magoo Loc: If you ain't Dutch you ain't much.
 
PeterS wrote:
Ain't that the truth...


Yeah...so what.
You believe in billions of years.
..and with that, you know it's righteous thinking.
Can't have it both ways...

| Reply
Feb 12, 2020 14:55:43   #
Seth
 
permafrost wrote:
President Obama reduced the black unemployment rate by 50%.. from 16% to 8% during the worst recession if 70 years.. trump reduced it 3% in time of recovered economy..

Professor Gates was an incident that could have affected the local police for decades.. President Obama went out of his way to defuse it..

Federal assistance was doing exactly what it was put in place to do. helping Americans in a disastrous time of need.. Great for all the victims of the great bush recession..


Ah, Pyotr Nikolaevitch Prospelov is alive and living in northern Minnesota.

| Reply
Feb 12, 2020 15:31:11   #
nwtk2007
 
rafterman wrote:
1st, I would like for you to please provide me with a specific case of Trump being racist. I'm sorry, but I need to be enlightened. Please take the time to give me an example so that I can understand your position. 2nd, I NEVER hated Obama - I disagreed with his policies. I thought he was a thoughtful guy, but always seemed to be lecturing. However, that's just my take. It seems to me, if I disagreed with President Obama, I should not be pigeon holed as a racist. Look, I disagreed with Obamacare. So by your analysis, I am a racist. Sure doesn't make any sense to me.
Anyway, I would appreciate you enlightening me on these two points.
Please respond.
1st, I would like for you to please provide me wit... (show quote)


I, too, liked Obama initially but never went with his policies for the most part. But later, his and Michele's own racism started to filter through. That I did not like. It gradually became all about mean ole whitey. It was good to see him go.

| Reply
Feb 12, 2020 16:06:17   #
Voice of Reason Loc: Earth
 
PeterS wrote:
Ain't that the truth...


LOL. Next to LBJ, Obama is the most racist president this country ever had. He is the only president in US history to actively encourage and promote race riots.

Of course, this is the level of stupidity one would expect from leftists who call everybody who disagrees with them racists while maintaining black people are too subhuman to get drivers licenses or govt. ID's.

| Reply
Feb 12, 2020 16:15:19   #
nwtk2007
 
Voice of Reason wrote:
LOL. Next to LBJ, Obama is the most racist president this country ever had. He is the only president in US history to actively encourage and promote race riots.

Of course, this is the level of stupidity one would expect from leftists who call everybody who disagrees with them racists while maintaining black people are too subhuman to get drivers licenses or govt. ID's.



| Reply
Feb 12, 2020 16:24:14   #
Seth
 
Voice of Reason wrote:
LOL. Next to LBJ, Obama is the most racist president this country ever had. He is the only president in US history to actively encourage and promote race riots.

Of course, this is the level of stupidity one would expect from leftists who call everybody who disagrees with them racists while maintaining black people are too subhuman to get drivers licenses or govt. ID's.



| Reply
Feb 12, 2020 16:39:39   #
Smedley_buzkill
 
PeterS wrote:
Ain't that the truth...


Viva la Raza!

| Reply
Feb 12, 2020 16:41:39   #
Smedley_buzkill
 
byronglimish wrote:
Perm, do you have a link to this claim..."Obama reduced black unemployment by 50%??

Or was this opinion?


If he does have a link, it's probably from Mother Jones or Salon.

| Reply
Page: <<prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 next>>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
OnePoliticalPlaza.com - Forum
Copyright 2012-2020 IDF International Technologies, Inc.