One Political PlazaSM - Home of politics
Obama had Class!
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Page: <<prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 15 next>>
Nov 30, 2019 12:55:45   #
Jakebrake Loc: Broomfield, CO
 
flash wrote:
Now for the really important question of the day. Ohio State. Or Michigan who will win?


My hope is Michigan~

| Reply
Nov 30, 2019 13:21:32   #
flash
 
Jakebrake wrote:
My hope is Michigan~


Normally I'd agree but this has the potential to be a great game and one that I can just sit and enjoy without my BP going through the roof.

| Reply
Nov 30, 2019 13:29:44   #
Jakebrake Loc: Broomfield, CO
 
flash wrote:
Normally I'd agree but this has the potential to be a great game and one that I can just sit and enjoy without my BP going through the roof.


Yep, me too. Being an LSU supporter living in CO I can relax, have a Budweiser and enjoy. Now we probably get back to the topic before we completely hijack the thread~

| Reply
Nov 30, 2019 14:03:11   #
Smedley_buzkill
 
Canuckus Deploracus wrote:
They can self identify any way they like...

I have native blood and don't identify as an Indian..

The point is that identifying with only half of one's blood is disingenuous...

I've met "blacks" whose blood is whiter than mine...

I think I will self-identify as a three-headed alien woollybooger of dubious ancestry and uncertain gender. In reality, I do have a smidgen of black blood.
BTW, since no race of humanity originated in the Americas, there is no such thing as a "Native American." Something like First Comers would be far more accurate. (How about "We'uns wuz here firsters?")

| Reply
Nov 30, 2019 15:51:24   #
PaulPisces Loc: San Francisco
 
Smedley_buzkill wrote:
I think I will self-identify as a three-headed alien woollybooger of dubious ancestry and uncertain gender. In reality, I do have a smidgen of black blood.
BTW, since no race of humanity originated in the Americas, there is no such thing as a "Native American." Something like First Comers would be far more accurate. (How about "We'uns wuz here firsters?")


So everyone here is an immigrant, right?

| Reply
Nov 30, 2019 16:18:27   #
no propaganda please Loc: moon orbiting the third rock from the sun
 
PaulPisces wrote:
I think the very idea that it is only blood (or skin color) that defines one's ethnicity misses the point entirely. While race may be biological (and subject to infinite degrees of genetic variance), ethnic identity is more anthropological. We generally identify with the group with whom we share the most common cultural, social and emotional traits.


You are correct and Obama identified with the tribal culture and Muslim beliefs of his fathers tribe, and he said so a number of times.

| Reply
Nov 30, 2019 16:32:33   #
steve66613
 
no propaganda please wrote:
You are correct and Obama identified with the tribal culture and Muslim beliefs of his fathers tribe, and he said so a number of times.


Obastard was out of this world! He just loved Uranus!

| Reply
Nov 30, 2019 17:20:55   #
eden
 
PaulPisces wrote:
I think the very idea that it is only blood (or skin color) that defines one's ethnicity misses the point entirely. While race may be biological (and subject to infinite degrees of genetic variance), ethnic identity is more anthropological. We generally identify with the group with whom we share the most common cultural, social and emotional traits.


Oh that is waaaay too sensible for this thread.

| Reply
Nov 30, 2019 17:22:28   #
eden
 
PaulPisces wrote:
So everyone here is an immigrant, right?


Yes correct.

| Reply
Nov 30, 2019 19:15:53   #
Canuckus Deploracus Loc: North of the wall
 
eden wrote:
Sure he did. And Trump played heavily on his “business” acumen which amounted mostly to running to daddy for cash bailouts for his failed ventures. Interesting comparison...no?


You understand that the Trump business empire spans the world, yes?

And his daddy has been dead for a while... God rest his soul...

And that families tend to help one another...

And that the vast majority of his business ventures have been successful...

And that being rich is in no way comparable to being a race...


If Trump were playing the race card I'd lose a lot of respect for him...

| Reply
Nov 30, 2019 19:20:10   #
Canuckus Deploracus Loc: North of the wall
 
PaulPisces wrote:
I think the very idea that it is only blood (or skin color) that defines one's ethnicity misses the point entirely. While race may be biological (and subject to infinite degrees of genetic variance), ethnic identity is more anthropological. We generally identify with the group with whom we share the most common cultural, social and emotional traits.


Raised by a white mother in Hawaii and Indonesia...

Which group would that be?

Liked your response... There is a certain amount of truth to it... Except for all of the posers... Plus it only really? holds true to the Western world...

A white kid growing up in the ghetto might identify with the black ethnicity... But he sure ain't black....

| Reply
Nov 30, 2019 19:21:49   #
Canuckus Deploracus Loc: North of the wall
 
PaulPisces wrote:
So everyone here is an immigrant, right?


Everyone, everywhere, everywhen...

What's ours is ours as long as we can hold it...

| Reply
Nov 30, 2019 19:22:58   #
Canuckus Deploracus Loc: North of the wall
 
Smedley_buzkill wrote:
I think I will self-identify as a three-headed alien woollybooger of dubious ancestry and uncertain gender. In reality, I do have a smidgen of black blood.
BTW, since no race of humanity originated in the Americas, there is no such thing as a "Native American." Something like First Comers would be far more accurate. (How about "We'uns wuz here firsters?")


Too bad for those first coners that the second comers kicked their asses...

Now it's up to the second comers to resist the third comers...

| Reply
Nov 30, 2019 19:27:55   #
Seth
 
Canuckus Deploracus wrote:
You understand that the Trump business empire spans the world, yes?

And his daddy has been dead for a while... God rest his soul...

And that families tend to help one another...

And that the vast majority of his business ventures have been successful...

And that being rich is in no way comparable to being a race...


If Trump were playing the race card I'd lose a lot of respect for him...



| Reply
Nov 30, 2019 21:39:01   #
son of witless
 
PaulPisces wrote:
I think the very idea that it is only blood (or skin color) that defines one's ethnicity misses the point entirely. While race may be biological (and subject to infinite degrees of genetic variance), ethnic identity is more anthropological. We generally identify with the group with whom we share the most common cultural, social and emotional traits.


A valid point in many cases. But here is the however. Obama was just as White as he was Black. He did LOOK BLACK. Now what if he had LOOKED WHITE instead and had been born 30 years earlier when identifying as Black would have been more of a handicap instead of an asset ? He might have hidden his Black part and had success. In that case he may have been condemned by later critics.

He was raised by his White Grandparents, his White mother, and his Indonesian Stepfather. During his formative years I do not see how he was exposed to much Black Culture. His later embrace of that Black Culture was an asset during his college career and an even bigger asset during his political career.

| Reply
Page: <<prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 15 next>>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
OnePoliticalPlaza.com - Forum
Copyright 2012-2019 IDF International Technologies, Inc.