One Political PlazaSM - Home of politics
Minimum wage
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Page: 1 2 3 next>>
Nov 22, 2019 10:26:44   #
Saspatz007 Loc: The goat sheds
 
I’ve heard a number of arguments against raising the minimum wage.

It drives inflation up.

It increases unemployment.
If anyone knows how to access verifiable data on minority/youth unemployment numbers, please let me know.

It hurts the GDP.

Am I missing anything?

| Reply
Nov 22, 2019 10:35:36   #
Lonewolf
 
Saspatz007 wrote:
I’ve heard a number of arguments against raising the minimum wage.

It drives inflation up.

It increases unemployment.
If anyone knows how to access verifiable data on minority/youth unemployment numbers, please let me know.

It hurts the GDP.

Am I missing anything?


The biggest reason to keep it low is greed people making 60 billion a year want to keep their boot on the neck of the working man who made them rich in the first place!

| Reply
Nov 22, 2019 10:43:59   #
bestpal38 Loc: Cedar City, Utah
 
Lonewolf wrote:
The biggest reason to keep it low is greed people making 60 billion a year want to keep their boot on the neck of the working man who made them rich in the first place!


Heres the problem wolfy!! The people with their boot on the neck of the working man, will still do so by raising prices on goods, and services, so raising minimum wage does nothing to help that. Yes there is a lot of corporate greed out there, but raising minimum wage is just a knee jerk reaction, and won't really fix anything. Needs to be another solution. Minimum wage jobs were never meant as a career choice.

| Reply
Nov 22, 2019 10:52:19   #
Lonewolf
 
bestpal38 wrote:
Heres the problem wolfy!! The people with their boot on the neck of the working man, will still do so by raising prices on goods, and services, so raising minimum wage does nothing to help that. Yes there is a lot of corporate greed out there, but raising minimum wage is just a knee jerk reaction, and won't really fix anything. Needs to be another solution. Minimum wage jobs were never meant as a career choice.


Acording to your Theory if we lowered the minimum wage prices would be going down and we'd all be better off but we both know that's pretty much b*******
When the minimum wage was created it was a living wage and on signing the bill Roosevelt said any company that survived by paying workers less than a living wage had no business being in America.

| Reply
Nov 22, 2019 11:05:25   #
bestpal38 Loc: Cedar City, Utah
 
Lonewolf wrote:
Acording to your Theory if we lowered the minimum wage prices would be going down and we'd all be better off but we both know that's pretty much b*******
When the minimum wage was created it was a living wage and on signing the bill Roosevelt said any company that survived by paying workers less than a living wage had no business being in America.


Didn't imply that at all. But I am saying by raising the minimum wage, it becomes a never ending cycle, which does nobody any good.

| Reply
Nov 22, 2019 11:10:58   #
jimpack123 Loc: wisconsin
 
bestpal38 wrote:
Didn't imply that at all. But I am saying by raising the minimum wage, it becomes a never ending cycle, which does nobody any good.


kind of like Trump's tariffs

| Reply
Nov 22, 2019 11:20:34   #
Lonewolf
 
bestpal38 wrote:
Didn't imply that at all. But I am saying by raising the minimum wage, it becomes a never ending cycle, which does nobody any good.


You do realise if you gave a burger flipoer a 2 dollar raise it wouldn't raise the cost of a bugger 2 bucks , most likely 10 cents! I think they should get a living wage as I don't want people living in their cars cooking my food so I'll gladly pay 10 bucks for a burger

| Reply
Nov 22, 2019 11:33:30   #
Sonny Magoo Loc: If you ain't Dutch you ain't much.
 
If raising the minimum wage is good, why not make it 20.00 an hour, or 50.00??

| Reply
Nov 22, 2019 11:47:20   #
jimpack123 Loc: wisconsin
 
Sonny Magoo wrote:
If raising the minimum wage is good, why not make it 20.00 an hour, or 50.00??


a gradual increase to 15 bucks a hour by 2030 should be doable cut elected officals pay by 20 percent would help and make them pay to social security get rid of stopping social security paying in at 130 thousand while you are at it

| Reply
Nov 22, 2019 11:49:51   #
Saspatz007 Loc: The goat sheds
 
jimpack123 wrote:
a gradual increase to 15 bucks a hour by 2030 should be doable cut elected officals pay by 20 percent would help and make them pay to social security get rid of stopping social security paying in at 130 thousand while you are at it


I don’t like opening my mouth before I can provably verify my point.

| Reply
Nov 22, 2019 12:00:36   #
Saspatz007 Loc: The goat sheds
 
Lonewolf wrote:
The biggest reason to keep it low is greed people making 60 billion a year want to keep their boot on the neck of the working man who made them rich in the first place!


It’s never a good idea to make a statement about a group without data and documentation to prove what you’re stating. Also, it’s not a good idea to make a blanket statement about any group. It’s very important to talk of a group in general. I don’t go with holding any individual guilty with out evidence. Innocent until proven guilty. That’s my rule.

| Reply
Nov 22, 2019 12:06:39   #
Saspatz007 Loc: The goat sheds
 
Sonny Magoo wrote:
If raising the minimum wage is good, why not make it 20.00 an hour, or 50.00??


This is a straw man.

You make an assumption without evidence.

Please let me know if there’s an example of any mainstream request for a 50.00 or even 20.00.

| Reply
Nov 22, 2019 12:10:39   #
Saspatz007 Loc: The goat sheds
 
Lonewolf wrote:
You do realise if you gave a burger flipoer a 2 dollar raise it wouldn't raise the cost of a bugger 2 bucks , most likely 10 cents! I think they should get a living wage as I don't want people living in their cars cooking my food so I'll gladly pay 10 bucks for a burger


Can you provide evidence for your claim regarding a small increase in cost after a raise in pay ?

| Reply
Nov 22, 2019 12:31:13   #
Lonewolf
 
Saspatz007 wrote:
Can you provide evidence for your claim regarding a small increase in cost after a raise in pay ?


It's pretty much common sense I've run many businesses and I've always paid my workers more than the competition I did that to keep my help rather then Train new people over over as employees left looking for better jobs. Tell me something why do the heirs of Walmart make $1000000 an hour Henry fuse to give their workers 40 hours a week and benefits they keep their pay so low that their employees are eligible for public benefits like food stamps.
So considering the six of them make $1000000 an hour they would only have to use a fraction of their income so employees could make a decent living and it really wouldn't have to raise the price on anything to do it but greed prevents them I'm doing it.
How many burgers does a burger flipper flip in a 8 hr shift probluy at least 500 so 200 into a hundred so you see were talking Pennies on each Burger

| Reply
Nov 22, 2019 12:39:06   #
waltmoreno
 
Saspatz007 wrote:
I’ve heard a number of arguments against raising the minimum wage.

It drives inflation up.

It increases unemployment.
If anyone knows how to access verifiable data on minority/youth unemployment numbers, please let me know.

It hurts the GDP.

Am I missing anything?


The issue is simple: Does a government-mandated minimum wage help or hurt the very workers and job seekers it's intended to help? Well empirical data shows conclusively that raising the minimum wage to an artificial number drives companies of businesses. So the wage should be whatever the market shows the worth of that employee's contribution to the company is.
Remember AOC, the former coffee shop employee who was elected to Congress, who then voted FOR a minimum wage of $15 New York. Shortly after that she went to the closing of the coffee shop where she used to work, to commiserate with her former fellow employees. The owner said that he had to close due to the mandatory minimum wage.
So go ask her former boss, Charles Milite, who owned The Coffee Shop diner in Union Square where AOC used to work. The Coffee Shop closed its doors after 28 years, sidelining 150 employees. New York's minimum wage law would have added $46,000 a month to his labor costs in 2019. Milite said: "I know it doesn't sound like much -- $2 an hour. But when you multiply it by 40 hours, by 130 people, it becomes a big number. It was going to increase our monthly payroll $46,000."
The unintended consequences of 'good ideas' strikes again! It's infallible!

| Reply
Page: 1 2 3 next>>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
OnePoliticalPlaza.com - Forum
Copyright 2012-2019 IDF International Technologies, Inc.