One Political PlazaSM - Home of politics
22 in an hour and a half, damn impressive
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Page: 1 2 3 next>>
Sep 10, 2019 13:49:17   #
Kevyn
 
The Cheeto faced Shitgibbon held one of his moronathon hate fests in North Carolina last night and spewed 22 bald faced lies.

| Reply
Sep 10, 2019 14:01:47   #
Louie27 Loc: Peoria, AZ
 
Kevyn wrote:
The Cheeto faced Shitgibbon held one of his moronathon hate fests in North Carolina last night and spewed 22 bald faced lies.


Since you watched that affair, what were his bald faced lies? Don't give me your take but a true account of the the bald faced lies told at the rally.

| Reply
Sep 10, 2019 14:14:09   #
Kevyn
 
Louie27 wrote:
Since you watched that affair, what were his bald faced lies? Don't give me your take but a true account of the the bald faced lies told at the rally.


Trump makes at least 22 false claims at North Carolina rally

President Donald Trump held a campaign rally on Monday in a North Carolina congressional district that is having a special election on Tuesday because of credible allegations of Republican election fraud.
Trump did not mention those allegations. Instead, he repeated his baseless allegation of voter fraud in Democratic-dominated California.
"A lot of illegal voting going on out there, by the way, a lot of illegal voting," Trump said during his 85-minute speech in Fayetteville. As we've pointed out before, there is zero evidence for this claim.
Trump made at least 21 other false claims at the rally, most of them statements that have been debunked on multiple previous occasions.
As we continue to pore over the text, here's the preliminary list:
China and trade
China's economy
"I want China to do well and I hope they do well, but they've had now the worst year in 57 years," Trump said.
Facts First: China's official second-quarter GDP growth rate, 6.2%, was the worst since 1992, 27 years ago. Trump correctly cited this "27 years" statistic in July, but he then began changing it for no factual reason. On subsequent occasions, he has said "35 years," "61 years" and "54 years," among other figures.
Trade deficit with China
"China made $500 billion over the last number of years," Trump said.
Facts First: Trump refers to trade deficits as economic losses, and surpluses as gains, though this characterization is rejected by many economists. The US trade deficit with China has never been $500 billion; it was $381 billion last year when counting goods and services, $420 billion when counting goods alone.
Who is paying the tariffs on China
"Hundreds of billions of dollars have been and are coming into our country in the form of tariffs. And China is eating the cost, which the fake news doesn't want to tell you," Trump said.
Facts First: Economic studies have found that Americans shoulder most of the cost of tariffs.
In addition, "hundreds of billions" is an exaggeration, at least when it comes to what has been collected thus far. US Customs and Border Protection reports collecting $41.6 billion from all kinds of duties in the 2018 fiscal year and $34.6 billion in the 2017 fiscal year, and it says $25 billion has been produced by Trump's tariffs on China in particular.
The USMCA and Canada
"We need a vote on the USMCA. That's United States, Mexico and Canada. And they've already voted. They want it," Trump said.
Facts First: Mexico's Senate has voted to ratify the USMCA trade agreement, but Canada's Parliament has not held a vote.
The agreement is highly unlikely to be rejected by Parliament even if Justin Trudeau's Liberal government is ousted in the coming election, since the Conservative opposition party says it will "reluctantly" vote in favor. Still, the voting has not happened yet.
The USMCA and unions
Trump, urging House Speaker Nancy Pelosi to hold a vote on the USMCA, said, "The unions want it."
Facts First: American unions generally don't like Trump's North American trade agreement, a revised version of NAFTA. The AFL-CIO, a large labor federation made up of 55 unions, says changes must be made to the agreement before the federation could possibly be supportive; in a Fox News appearance in early September, AFL-CIO president Richard Trumka called its present incarnation "an unenforceable trade deal" that would be "a windfall for corporations and a disaster for workers."
As The New York Times has reported, the United Automobile Workers and United Steelworkers, among other unions, have also demanded changes.
Immigration
Democrat Dan McCready
Trump said that the Democratic candidate in the 9th District race, Dan McCready, "wants open borders."
Facts First: McCready does not support open borders. His website says he wants comprehensive immigration reform "that secures our border, respects our laws and protects our American values." He calls for the government to "reinforce physical barriers with the technology Dan used in the Marines, like infrared cameras and drones."
Democrats and borders
Trump said the Democrats refuse to work with him to fix immigration laws "because they want to have open borders."
Facts First: Some Democrats, including presidential candidates Elizabeth Warren and Julián Castro, have advocated a significant loosening of immigration law, including a decriminalization of the act of illegally crossing the border. But none of them have proposed literally opening the border to unrestricted migration.
During the Trump era, Democrats have voted for billions of dollars' worth of fencing and other border security measures.
Migrants and court
"You have a program, catch and release: you catch them and then you have to release them. And they're supposed to come back to court in the next three, four, five, six years, and nobody shows up," Trump said.
Facts First: While it is unclear what subset of migrants Trump was referring to, the majority of migrants do show up for court. In 2017, 89% of asylum seekers appeared in court to receive decisions on their cases. Among all kinds of migrants, 72% appeared in court.
Immigration laws
"What can be much more threatening than people that want to pour across our borders? And we have the worst laws -- we have the weakest laws in the history of any country. You can't do anything to stop 'em," Trump said.
Facts First: This is obviously inaccurate hyperbole. Current US immigration laws are not even close to the weakest they have been in the history of this country: the US government did not make a broad effort to control the flow of people entering the country until the late 1800s, more than a century after the country's founding
There are clearly numerous tools at the government's disposal to stop people from illegally entering the country, from physical barriers to Border Patrol apprehensions. Trump frequently complains that asylum seekers must be released and granted a legal process, but that is also the case in other countries.
The border wall
Trump said "we're putting up miles and miles" of the border wall.
Facts First: No new miles of wall had been built during Trump's presidency as of August, Customs and Border Protection told CNN's Geneva Sands. Sixty miles of existing barriers have been replaced.
Overdose deaths and the border
Trump, talking about the opioid crisis and drug smuggling, said, "100,000 people a year die from what comes across our southern border."
Facts First: The "100,000" figure is an exaggeration, though we don't have an exact figure for overdose deaths connected to the southern border. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has issued a preliminary estimate that there were 68,557 drug overdose deaths of any kind in 2018, an estimated 47,590 of them involving any kind of opioid and an estimated 31,897 involving synthetic opioids including fentanyl.
It is obviously not true that all of these drugs came from Mexico; Trump himself has repeatedly said that a significant portion of trafficked fentanyl comes through the mail from China.
Economy
Asian unemployment
Trump said Asian Americans are at the best unemployment numbers "we've ever had."
Facts First: The unemployment rate for Asian Americans was 2.8% in August -- higher than the 2.6% rate in December 2016, Barack Obama's last full month in office.
Women's unemployment
Trump said, "The unemployment numbers for women are the best they've been now in 72 years."
Facts First: This was another exaggeration. It has been 66 years since the women's rate has been as low as it has been this year -- it was 3.6% in August, 3.4% in April -- not 75 years.
We might omit this if it were a one-time slip, but Trump habitually exaggerates many positive statistics, including women's unemployment rates, even though the accurate figure is still impressive. In fact, according to our previous fact checking work at the Toronto Star, Trump exaggerated on women's unemployment in this kind of manner 37 times between the inauguration and June 2 of this year.
Manufacturing jobs
"And by the way: 600,000 manufacturing jobs in this country. Remember? 'You would need a magic wand, you can't do that anymore.' Well, we did it," Trump said.
Facts First: The economy has added 485,000 manufacturing jobs since January 2017, when Trump took office, official data shows. The number is 512,000 jobs added if you go back to November 2016, the month of Trump's election.
Trump's "magic wand" comment was a reference to a remark Barack Obama made at a PBS town hall in 2016. Obama scoffed at Trump's promises to bring back what Obama called "jobs of the past" without providing specifics on how he would do so.
Contrary to Trump's frequent claims, though, Obama didn't say manufacturing jobs could not be created at all or created in large numbers; Obama boasted of how many were being created during his presidency, saying, "We actually make more stuff, have a bigger manufacturing base today than we've had in most of our history."
Accomplishments
Right to Try
"They've been trying to get this for 45 years," Trump said of the program that seeks to make it easier for terminally ill patients to access experimental medications.
Facts First: There had not been a 45-year push for a federal Right to Try law, experts said. Similar laws have been passed at the state level only since 2014, after the Goldwater Institute, a libertarian think tank, began pushing for them.
Veterans Choice
Trump took credit for passing the Veterans Choice program that allows some veterans to be reimbursed for seeing doctors outside the VA system: "We passed something that they've wanted to do for half a century. We passed VA Choice."
Facts First: The Choice program, a bipartisan initiative led by Bernie Sanders and the late John McCain, was signed into law by Barack Obama in 2014. In 2018, Trump signed the VA Mission Act, which expanded and changed the program.
Energy production
"We ended the last administration's cruel war on American energy. The United States is now the number one producer of oil and natural gas anywhere in the world," Trump said.
Facts First: The US has not just "now" become the world's top energy producer: it took the top spot in 2012, under Obama, the very president he accused of perpetrating the "war."
"The United States has been the world's top producer of natural gas since 2009, when US natural gas production surpassed that of Russia, and it has been the world's top producer of petroleum hydrocarbons since 2013, when its production exceeded Saudi Arabia's," the Energy Information Administration says.
Pre-existing conditions
"We'll always protect patients with pre-existing conditions, always," Trump said.
Facts First: We usually don't fact-check promises, but this one has already proved untrue. The Trump administration and congressional Republicans have repeatedly put forward bills and lawsuits that would weaken Obamacare's protections for people with pre-existing conditions. Trump is currently supporting a Republican lawsuit that is seeking to declare all of Obamacare void. He has not issued a plan to reinstate the law's protections for people with pre-existing conditions if the suit succeeds.
The decline in overdose deaths
"Last year we saw the first nationwide decline in drug overdose deaths in nearly 31 years," Trump said.
Facts First: This was another of Trump's regular exaggerations of numbers that are already impressive. There was a rare decline in overdose deaths in 2018, according to preliminary data from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's National Center for Health Statistics -- but it was the first in since 1990, or 28 years ago, not "nearly 31 years" ago.
Foreign affairs
Payments to Iran
Trump claimed that the US "paid" Iran "$150 billion" as part of the 2015 nuclear agreement.
Facts First: The money in question was Iranian money frozen in foreign financial institutions because of sanctions, not US government money -- and experts say the total was significantly lower than $150 billion. You can read a fuller fact check here.
NATO spending
Trump said that, "until President Trump," military spending by non-US NATO members was declining. "The NATO cost of -- spending was going like this," he said, moving his hand in a downward sloping motion.
Facts First: Military spending by NATO members had increased for two years prior to Trump's presidency. According to official NATO figures, spending increased by 1.8% in 2015 and 2.8% in 2016, before Trump took office.
Trump-era increases have been bigger -- 6% in 2017 and an estimated 3.8% in 2018 -- and Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg has credited Trump for his role in prompting the increase. But the upward trend started two years before Trump's tenure began.
In 2014, NATO countries who were not yet meeting the alliance guideline of spending 2% of their Gross Domestic Product on defense re-committed to meeting the target. Spending began rising after that.

| Reply
Sep 10, 2019 14:15:57   #
amadjuster Loc: Texas Panhandle
 
Kevyn wrote:
Trump makes at least 22 false claims at North Carolina rally

President Donald Trump held a campaign rally on Monday in a North Carolina congressional district that is having a special election on Tuesday because of credible allegations of Republican election fraud.
Trump did not mention those allegations. Instead, he repeated his baseless allegation of voter fraud in Democratic-dominated California.
"A lot of illegal voting going on out there, by the way, a lot of illegal voting," Trump said during his 85-minute speech in Fayetteville. As we've pointed out before, there is zero evidence for this claim.
Trump made at least 21 other false claims at the rally, most of them statements that have been debunked on multiple previous occasions.
As we continue to pore over the text, here's the preliminary list:
China and trade
China's economy
"I want China to do well and I hope they do well, but they've had now the worst year in 57 years," Trump said.
Facts First: China's official second-quarter GDP growth rate, 6.2%, was the worst since 1992, 27 years ago. Trump correctly cited this "27 years" statistic in July, but he then began changing it for no factual reason. On subsequent occasions, he has said "35 years," "61 years" and "54 years," among other figures.
Trade deficit with China
"China made $500 billion over the last number of years," Trump said.
Facts First: Trump refers to trade deficits as economic losses, and surpluses as gains, though this characterization is rejected by many economists. The US trade deficit with China has never been $500 billion; it was $381 billion last year when counting goods and services, $420 billion when counting goods alone.
Who is paying the tariffs on China
"Hundreds of billions of dollars have been and are coming into our country in the form of tariffs. And China is eating the cost, which the fake news doesn't want to tell you," Trump said.
Facts First: Economic studies have found that Americans shoulder most of the cost of tariffs.
In addition, "hundreds of billions" is an exaggeration, at least when it comes to what has been collected thus far. US Customs and Border Protection reports collecting $41.6 billion from all kinds of duties in the 2018 fiscal year and $34.6 billion in the 2017 fiscal year, and it says $25 billion has been produced by Trump's tariffs on China in particular.
The USMCA and Canada
"We need a vote on the USMCA. That's United States, Mexico and Canada. And they've already voted. They want it," Trump said.
Facts First: Mexico's Senate has voted to ratify the USMCA trade agreement, but Canada's Parliament has not held a vote.
The agreement is highly unlikely to be rejected by Parliament even if Justin Trudeau's Liberal government is ousted in the coming election, since the Conservative opposition party says it will "reluctantly" vote in favor. Still, the voting has not happened yet.
The USMCA and unions
Trump, urging House Speaker Nancy Pelosi to hold a vote on the USMCA, said, "The unions want it."
Facts First: American unions generally don't like Trump's North American trade agreement, a revised version of NAFTA. The AFL-CIO, a large labor federation made up of 55 unions, says changes must be made to the agreement before the federation could possibly be supportive; in a Fox News appearance in early September, AFL-CIO president Richard Trumka called its present incarnation "an unenforceable trade deal" that would be "a windfall for corporations and a disaster for workers."
As The New York Times has reported, the United Automobile Workers and United Steelworkers, among other unions, have also demanded changes.
Immigration
Democrat Dan McCready
Trump said that the Democratic candidate in the 9th District race, Dan McCready, "wants open borders."
Facts First: McCready does not support open borders. His website says he wants comprehensive immigration reform "that secures our border, respects our laws and protects our American values." He calls for the government to "reinforce physical barriers with the technology Dan used in the Marines, like infrared cameras and drones."
Democrats and borders
Trump said the Democrats refuse to work with him to fix immigration laws "because they want to have open borders."
Facts First: Some Democrats, including presidential candidates Elizabeth Warren and Julián Castro, have advocated a significant loosening of immigration law, including a decriminalization of the act of illegally crossing the border. But none of them have proposed literally opening the border to unrestricted migration.
During the Trump era, Democrats have voted for billions of dollars' worth of fencing and other border security measures.
Migrants and court
"You have a program, catch and release: you catch them and then you have to release them. And they're supposed to come back to court in the next three, four, five, six years, and nobody shows up," Trump said.
Facts First: While it is unclear what subset of migrants Trump was referring to, the majority of migrants do show up for court. In 2017, 89% of asylum seekers appeared in court to receive decisions on their cases. Among all kinds of migrants, 72% appeared in court.
Immigration laws
"What can be much more threatening than people that want to pour across our borders? And we have the worst laws -- we have the weakest laws in the history of any country. You can't do anything to stop 'em," Trump said.
Facts First: This is obviously inaccurate hyperbole. Current US immigration laws are not even close to the weakest they have been in the history of this country: the US government did not make a broad effort to control the flow of people entering the country until the late 1800s, more than a century after the country's founding
There are clearly numerous tools at the government's disposal to stop people from illegally entering the country, from physical barriers to Border Patrol apprehensions. Trump frequently complains that asylum seekers must be released and granted a legal process, but that is also the case in other countries.
The border wall
Trump said "we're putting up miles and miles" of the border wall.
Facts First: No new miles of wall had been built during Trump's presidency as of August, Customs and Border Protection told CNN's Geneva Sands. Sixty miles of existing barriers have been replaced.
Overdose deaths and the border
Trump, talking about the opioid crisis and drug smuggling, said, "100,000 people a year die from what comes across our southern border."
Facts First: The "100,000" figure is an exaggeration, though we don't have an exact figure for overdose deaths connected to the southern border. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has issued a preliminary estimate that there were 68,557 drug overdose deaths of any kind in 2018, an estimated 47,590 of them involving any kind of opioid and an estimated 31,897 involving synthetic opioids including fentanyl.
It is obviously not true that all of these drugs came from Mexico; Trump himself has repeatedly said that a significant portion of trafficked fentanyl comes through the mail from China.
Economy
Asian unemployment
Trump said Asian Americans are at the best unemployment numbers "we've ever had."
Facts First: The unemployment rate for Asian Americans was 2.8% in August -- higher than the 2.6% rate in December 2016, Barack Obama's last full month in office.
Women's unemployment
Trump said, "The unemployment numbers for women are the best they've been now in 72 years."
Facts First: This was another exaggeration. It has been 66 years since the women's rate has been as low as it has been this year -- it was 3.6% in August, 3.4% in April -- not 75 years.
We might omit this if it were a one-time slip, but Trump habitually exaggerates many positive statistics, including women's unemployment rates, even though the accurate figure is still impressive. In fact, according to our previous fact checking work at the Toronto Star, Trump exaggerated on women's unemployment in this kind of manner 37 times between the inauguration and June 2 of this year.
Manufacturing jobs
"And by the way: 600,000 manufacturing jobs in this country. Remember? 'You would need a magic wand, you can't do that anymore.' Well, we did it," Trump said.
Facts First: The economy has added 485,000 manufacturing jobs since January 2017, when Trump took office, official data shows. The number is 512,000 jobs added if you go back to November 2016, the month of Trump's election.
Trump's "magic wand" comment was a reference to a remark Barack Obama made at a PBS town hall in 2016. Obama scoffed at Trump's promises to bring back what Obama called "jobs of the past" without providing specifics on how he would do so.
Contrary to Trump's frequent claims, though, Obama didn't say manufacturing jobs could not be created at all or created in large numbers; Obama boasted of how many were being created during his presidency, saying, "We actually make more stuff, have a bigger manufacturing base today than we've had in most of our history."
Accomplishments
Right to Try
"They've been trying to get this for 45 years," Trump said of the program that seeks to make it easier for terminally ill patients to access experimental medications.
Facts First: There had not been a 45-year push for a federal Right to Try law, experts said. Similar laws have been passed at the state level only since 2014, after the Goldwater Institute, a libertarian think tank, began pushing for them.
Veterans Choice
Trump took credit for passing the Veterans Choice program that allows some veterans to be reimbursed for seeing doctors outside the VA system: "We passed something that they've wanted to do for half a century. We passed VA Choice."
Facts First: The Choice program, a bipartisan initiative led by Bernie Sanders and the late John McCain, was signed into law by Barack Obama in 2014. In 2018, Trump signed the VA Mission Act, which expanded and changed the program.
Energy production
"We ended the last administration's cruel war on American energy. The United States is now the number one producer of oil and natural gas anywhere in the world," Trump said.
Facts First: The US has not just "now" become the world's top energy producer: it took the top spot in 2012, under Obama, the very president he accused of perpetrating the "war."
"The United States has been the world's top producer of natural gas since 2009, when US natural gas production surpassed that of Russia, and it has been the world's top producer of petroleum hydrocarbons since 2013, when its production exceeded Saudi Arabia's," the Energy Information Administration says.
Pre-existing conditions
"We'll always protect patients with pre-existing conditions, always," Trump said.
Facts First: We usually don't fact-check promises, but this one has already proved untrue. The Trump administration and congressional Republicans have repeatedly put forward bills and lawsuits that would weaken Obamacare's protections for people with pre-existing conditions. Trump is currently supporting a Republican lawsuit that is seeking to declare all of Obamacare void. He has not issued a plan to reinstate the law's protections for people with pre-existing conditions if the suit succeeds.
The decline in overdose deaths
"Last year we saw the first nationwide decline in drug overdose deaths in nearly 31 years," Trump said.
Facts First: This was another of Trump's regular exaggerations of numbers that are already impressive. There was a rare decline in overdose deaths in 2018, according to preliminary data from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's National Center for Health Statistics -- but it was the first in since 1990, or 28 years ago, not "nearly 31 years" ago.
Foreign affairs
Payments to Iran
Trump claimed that the US "paid" Iran "$150 billion" as part of the 2015 nuclear agreement.
Facts First: The money in question was Iranian money frozen in foreign financial institutions because of sanctions, not US government money -- and experts say the total was significantly lower than $150 billion. You can read a fuller fact check here.
NATO spending
Trump said that, "until President Trump," military spending by non-US NATO members was declining. "The NATO cost of -- spending was going like this," he said, moving his hand in a downward sloping motion.
Facts First: Military spending by NATO members had increased for two years prior to Trump's presidency. According to official NATO figures, spending increased by 1.8% in 2015 and 2.8% in 2016, before Trump took office.
Trump-era increases have been bigger -- 6% in 2017 and an estimated 3.8% in 2018 -- and Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg has credited Trump for his role in prompting the increase. But the upward trend started two years before Trump's tenure began.
In 2014, NATO countries who were not yet meeting the alliance guideline of spending 2% of their Gross Domestic Product on defense re-committed to meeting the target. Spending began rising after that.
Trump makes at least 22 false claims at North Caro... (show quote)


Really?? Take you prozac and go to bed.

| Reply
Sep 10, 2019 14:26:09   #
Liberty Tree
 
amadjuster wrote:
Really?? Take you prozac and go to bed.


He thinks leftwing spin is fact. Pay him no mind.

| Reply
Sep 10, 2019 14:47:12   #
Gatsby
 
Louie27 wrote:
Since you watched that affair, what were his bald faced lies? Don't give me your take but a true account of the the bald faced lies told at the rally.


A. Any time that President Trump challenges liberal dogma, they respond by calling him a liar.
B. President Trump always challenges liberal dogma.
Therefore:

| Reply
Sep 10, 2019 16:15:35   #
Fit2BTied Loc: Texas
 
Kevyn wrote:
The Cheeto faced Shitgibbon held one of his moronathon hate fests in North Carolina last night and spewed 22 bald faced lies.

Nice article, Kevyn (with_a_Y).
https://www.nbc-2.com/story/41027395/fact-check-trump-makes-at-least-22-false-claims-at-north-carolina-rally
And you even came up with a new slur for the President. Your Mama must be so proud that all that schoolin' didn't go to waste.

| Reply
Sep 10, 2019 16:30:26   #
byronglimish Loc: Lapine Oregon
 
Fit2BTied wrote:
Nice article, Kevyn (with_a_Y).
https://www.nbc-2.com/story/41027395/fact-check-trump-makes-at-least-22-false-claims-at-north-carolina-rally
And you even came up with a new slur for the President. Your Mama must be so proud that all that schoolin' didn't go to waste.


It's his soap and his mom's shower, he'll wash it as fast as he wants to!

| Reply
Sep 10, 2019 17:56:45   #
woodguru
 
Liberty Tree wrote:
He thinks leftwing spin is fact. Pay him no mind.


Meanwhile you believe facts are fake news, the only thing you believe is right wing rhetoric.

| Reply
Sep 10, 2019 18:55:18   #
EmilyD
 
Gatsby wrote:
A. Any time that President Trump challenges liberal dogma, they respond by calling him a liar.
B. President Trump always challenges liberal dogma.
Therefore:


It's like when they say Trump isn't building a wall, then you supply them with facts (pictures and videos) that the wall is being built. They don't like it, so they deny it and say it isn't happening. The fact that it's true just doesn't matter to them. Same thing with Trump's "lies" - they think that if they say it often enough and loud enough, people might believe them. They underestimate the silent majority Americans, who are not stupid and can see with their own eyes what's going on.

| Reply
Sep 10, 2019 19:27:33   #
permafrost Loc: Minnesota
 
Kevyn wrote:
Trump makes at least 22 false claims at North Carolina rally

President Donald Trump held a campaign rally on Monday in a North Carolina congressional district that is having a special election on Tuesday because of credible allegations of Republican election fraud.
Trump did not mention those allegations. Instead, he repeated his baseless allegation of voter fraud in Democratic-dominated California.
"A lot of illegal voting going on out there, by the way, a lot of illegal voting," Trump said during his 85-minute speech in Fayetteville. As we've pointed out before, there is zero evidence for this claim.
Trump made at least 21 other false claims at the rally, most of them statements that have been debunked on multiple previous occasions.
As we continue to pore over the text, here's the preliminary list:
China and trade
China's economy
"I want China to do well and I hope they do well, but they've had now the worst year in 57 years," Trump said.
Facts First: China's official second-quarter GDP growth rate, 6.2%, was the worst since 1992, 27 years ago. Trump correctly cited this "27 years" statistic in July, but he then began changing it for no factual reason. On subsequent occasions, he has said "35 years," "61 years" and "54 years," among other figures.
Trade deficit with China
"China made $500 billion over the last number of years," Trump said.
Facts First: Trump refers to trade deficits as economic losses, and surpluses as gains, though this characterization is rejected by many economists. The US trade deficit with China has never been $500 billion; it was $381 billion last year when counting goods and services, $420 billion when counting goods alone.
Who is paying the tariffs on China
"Hundreds of billions of dollars have been and are coming into our country in the form of tariffs. And China is eating the cost, which the fake news doesn't want to tell you," Trump said.
Facts First: Economic studies have found that Americans shoulder most of the cost of tariffs.
In addition, "hundreds of billions" is an exaggeration, at least when it comes to what has been collected thus far. US Customs and Border Protection reports collecting $41.6 billion from all kinds of duties in the 2018 fiscal year and $34.6 billion in the 2017 fiscal year, and it says $25 billion has been produced by Trump's tariffs on China in particular.
The USMCA and Canada
"We need a vote on the USMCA. That's United States, Mexico and Canada. And they've already voted. They want it," Trump said.
Facts First: Mexico's Senate has voted to ratify the USMCA trade agreement, but Canada's Parliament has not held a vote.
The agreement is highly unlikely to be rejected by Parliament even if Justin Trudeau's Liberal government is ousted in the coming election, since the Conservative opposition party says it will "reluctantly" vote in favor. Still, the voting has not happened yet.
The USMCA and unions
Trump, urging House Speaker Nancy Pelosi to hold a vote on the USMCA, said, "The unions want it."
Facts First: American unions generally don't like Trump's North American trade agreement, a revised version of NAFTA. The AFL-CIO, a large labor federation made up of 55 unions, says changes must be made to the agreement before the federation could possibly be supportive; in a Fox News appearance in early September, AFL-CIO president Richard Trumka called its present incarnation "an unenforceable trade deal" that would be "a windfall for corporations and a disaster for workers."
As The New York Times has reported, the United Automobile Workers and United Steelworkers, among other unions, have also demanded changes.
Immigration
Democrat Dan McCready
Trump said that the Democratic candidate in the 9th District race, Dan McCready, "wants open borders."
Facts First: McCready does not support open borders. His website says he wants comprehensive immigration reform "that secures our border, respects our laws and protects our American values." He calls for the government to "reinforce physical barriers with the technology Dan used in the Marines, like infrared cameras and drones."
Democrats and borders
Trump said the Democrats refuse to work with him to fix immigration laws "because they want to have open borders."
Facts First: Some Democrats, including presidential candidates Elizabeth Warren and Julián Castro, have advocated a significant loosening of immigration law, including a decriminalization of the act of illegally crossing the border. But none of them have proposed literally opening the border to unrestricted migration.
During the Trump era, Democrats have voted for billions of dollars' worth of fencing and other border security measures.
Migrants and court
"You have a program, catch and release: you catch them and then you have to release them. And they're supposed to come back to court in the next three, four, five, six years, and nobody shows up," Trump said.
Facts First: While it is unclear what subset of migrants Trump was referring to, the majority of migrants do show up for court. In 2017, 89% of asylum seekers appeared in court to receive decisions on their cases. Among all kinds of migrants, 72% appeared in court.
Immigration laws
"What can be much more threatening than people that want to pour across our borders? And we have the worst laws -- we have the weakest laws in the history of any country. You can't do anything to stop 'em," Trump said.
Facts First: This is obviously inaccurate hyperbole. Current US immigration laws are not even close to the weakest they have been in the history of this country: the US government did not make a broad effort to control the flow of people entering the country until the late 1800s, more than a century after the country's founding
There are clearly numerous tools at the government's disposal to stop people from illegally entering the country, from physical barriers to Border Patrol apprehensions. Trump frequently complains that asylum seekers must be released and granted a legal process, but that is also the case in other countries.
The border wall
Trump said "we're putting up miles and miles" of the border wall.
Facts First: No new miles of wall had been built during Trump's presidency as of August, Customs and Border Protection told CNN's Geneva Sands. Sixty miles of existing barriers have been replaced.
Overdose deaths and the border
Trump, talking about the opioid crisis and drug smuggling, said, "100,000 people a year die from what comes across our southern border."
Facts First: The "100,000" figure is an exaggeration, though we don't have an exact figure for overdose deaths connected to the southern border. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has issued a preliminary estimate that there were 68,557 drug overdose deaths of any kind in 2018, an estimated 47,590 of them involving any kind of opioid and an estimated 31,897 involving synthetic opioids including fentanyl.
It is obviously not true that all of these drugs came from Mexico; Trump himself has repeatedly said that a significant portion of trafficked fentanyl comes through the mail from China.
Economy
Asian unemployment
Trump said Asian Americans are at the best unemployment numbers "we've ever had."
Facts First: The unemployment rate for Asian Americans was 2.8% in August -- higher than the 2.6% rate in December 2016, Barack Obama's last full month in office.
Women's unemployment
Trump said, "The unemployment numbers for women are the best they've been now in 72 years."
Facts First: This was another exaggeration. It has been 66 years since the women's rate has been as low as it has been this year -- it was 3.6% in August, 3.4% in April -- not 75 years.
We might omit this if it were a one-time slip, but Trump habitually exaggerates many positive statistics, including women's unemployment rates, even though the accurate figure is still impressive. In fact, according to our previous fact checking work at the Toronto Star, Trump exaggerated on women's unemployment in this kind of manner 37 times between the inauguration and June 2 of this year.
Manufacturing jobs
"And by the way: 600,000 manufacturing jobs in this country. Remember? 'You would need a magic wand, you can't do that anymore.' Well, we did it," Trump said.
Facts First: The economy has added 485,000 manufacturing jobs since January 2017, when Trump took office, official data shows. The number is 512,000 jobs added if you go back to November 2016, the month of Trump's election.
Trump's "magic wand" comment was a reference to a remark Barack Obama made at a PBS town hall in 2016. Obama scoffed at Trump's promises to bring back what Obama called "jobs of the past" without providing specifics on how he would do so.
Contrary to Trump's frequent claims, though, Obama didn't say manufacturing jobs could not be created at all or created in large numbers; Obama boasted of how many were being created during his presidency, saying, "We actually make more stuff, have a bigger manufacturing base today than we've had in most of our history."
Accomplishments
Right to Try
"They've been trying to get this for 45 years," Trump said of the program that seeks to make it easier for terminally ill patients to access experimental medications.
Facts First: There had not been a 45-year push for a federal Right to Try law, experts said. Similar laws have been passed at the state level only since 2014, after the Goldwater Institute, a libertarian think tank, began pushing for them.
Veterans Choice
Trump took credit for passing the Veterans Choice program that allows some veterans to be reimbursed for seeing doctors outside the VA system: "We passed something that they've wanted to do for half a century. We passed VA Choice."
Facts First: The Choice program, a bipartisan initiative led by Bernie Sanders and the late John McCain, was signed into law by Barack Obama in 2014. In 2018, Trump signed the VA Mission Act, which expanded and changed the program.
Energy production
"We ended the last administration's cruel war on American energy. The United States is now the number one producer of oil and natural gas anywhere in the world," Trump said.
Facts First: The US has not just "now" become the world's top energy producer: it took the top spot in 2012, under Obama, the very president he accused of perpetrating the "war."
"The United States has been the world's top producer of natural gas since 2009, when US natural gas production surpassed that of Russia, and it has been the world's top producer of petroleum hydrocarbons since 2013, when its production exceeded Saudi Arabia's," the Energy Information Administration says.
Pre-existing conditions
"We'll always protect patients with pre-existing conditions, always," Trump said.
Facts First: We usually don't fact-check promises, but this one has already proved untrue. The Trump administration and congressional Republicans have repeatedly put forward bills and lawsuits that would weaken Obamacare's protections for people with pre-existing conditions. Trump is currently supporting a Republican lawsuit that is seeking to declare all of Obamacare void. He has not issued a plan to reinstate the law's protections for people with pre-existing conditions if the suit succeeds.
The decline in overdose deaths
"Last year we saw the first nationwide decline in drug overdose deaths in nearly 31 years," Trump said.
Facts First: This was another of Trump's regular exaggerations of numbers that are already impressive. There was a rare decline in overdose deaths in 2018, according to preliminary data from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's National Center for Health Statistics -- but it was the first in since 1990, or 28 years ago, not "nearly 31 years" ago.
Foreign affairs
Payments to Iran
Trump claimed that the US "paid" Iran "$150 billion" as part of the 2015 nuclear agreement.
Facts First: The money in question was Iranian money frozen in foreign financial institutions because of sanctions, not US government money -- and experts say the total was significantly lower than $150 billion. You can read a fuller fact check here.
NATO spending
Trump said that, "until President Trump," military spending by non-US NATO members was declining. "The NATO cost of -- spending was going like this," he said, moving his hand in a downward sloping motion.
Facts First: Military spending by NATO members had increased for two years prior to Trump's presidency. According to official NATO figures, spending increased by 1.8% in 2015 and 2.8% in 2016, before Trump took office.
Trump-era increases have been bigger -- 6% in 2017 and an estimated 3.8% in 2018 -- and Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg has credited Trump for his role in prompting the increase. But the upward trend started two years before Trump's tenure began.
In 2014, NATO countries who were not yet meeting the alliance guideline of spending 2% of their Gross Domestic Product on defense re-committed to meeting the target. Spending began rising after that.
Trump makes at least 22 false claims at North Caro... (show quote)




Fine post Kevyn, great information.

But these right wing orange cult lovers will never accept the truth, no matter how often it is shown to them..

They as a group have no values at all beyond their own pleasure of the moment..

| Reply
Sep 10, 2019 20:47:17   #
maximus Loc: Chattanooga, Tennessee
 
woodguru wrote:
Meanwhile you believe facts are fake news, the only thing you believe is right wing rhetoric.




Should we believe your "facts" because YOU say they are true? I say our facts are true, not yours.

| Reply
Sep 10, 2019 22:07:31   #
Fit2BTied Loc: Texas
 
permafrost wrote:
Fine post Kevyn, great information.

But these right wing orange cult lovers will never accept the truth, no matter how often it is shown to them..

They as a group have no values at all beyond their own pleasure of the moment..
The absurdity of that last statement coming from someone on the progressive side deserves a thumbs up for chutzpah. All you guys do is chase pleasure - morality be damned. Touche, Sir!

| Reply
Sep 11, 2019 05:52:26   #
Texas Truth
 
Kevyn wrote:
The Cheeto faced Shitgibbon held one of his moronathon hate fests in North Carolina last night and spewed 22 bald faced lies.


so disrespectful towards the president of the United States. Do I need to contact Administration? I am offended here. That should become a concern of yours.

| Reply
Sep 11, 2019 05:55:04   #
Tug484
 
Louie27 wrote:
Since you watched that affair, what were his bald faced lies? Don't give me your take but a true account of the the bald faced lies told at the rally.


He won't tell. He'll run and hide for a day or two.
He has no lies to lay out for us.

| Reply
Page: 1 2 3 next>>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
OnePoliticalPlaza.com - Forum
Copyright 2012-2019 IDF International Technologies, Inc.