One Political PlazaSM - Home of politics
Update on A Real Hero, PoppaGringo
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Page: 1 2 next>>
Aug 18, 2019 14:41:23   #
slatten49 (a regular here)
 
I spent quite some time on the phone this morning with 'PoppaGringo,' aka 'Salty'. I wish to address all OPPers regarding our relationship and bits of that conversation.

Over our years on OPP, we have become especially close. This, in spite of my living in Central Texas and him in greater San Diego, California. Perhaps it came about soon after we became acquainted through the OPP forum, due to our both being USMC combat Veterans...he of Korea, myself of Viet Nam. For whatever reason, we hit it off. Both of us being Marines, he soon started calling me 'Boot,' while I reciprocated by calling him 'Salty.' Marines on OPP will understand both in the text of each serving as terms of enduring & endearing respect.

We have visited with one another on both home grounds and maintain steady contact via phone and email. In the past, when he was active on OPP, we also maintained close communication through PMs. As we have met several of each others family, we have also become as family ourselves. Thus, it saddens me to provide the following update that had been requested by several OPPers as of late. I was given permission to share this info.

Salty now describes himself as totally disabled. He is unable to walk or take care of himself, and recently moved in with his retired Naval Officer son. His daughter is now visiting with him, and in the near future, he will be traveling back to Florida with her for continuous home care in her residence. We discussed the likelihood of our working out a plan where we could all spend some time together in Texas on their way back to Florida by car.

I will point out that he & I had disagreements on...among other things, politics. However, nothing stood or stands between our common bond as proud American Veterans. A note: One thing he had asked keeping quiet about on the forum was his being a POW during the Korean conflict. Upon his return to the states after Korea, he had suffered criticism as a result of being a POW and was sensitive to such. BTW, he was injured and unconscious from incoming artillery fire when captured. I now reveal that because it explains to a even higher degree the level of sacrifice he made in service to our great nation. It also adds to the reasons I revere the man.

I ask that each of you who know/knew of Salty (or even if you didn't) give pause when you can and, in the manner you choose, address his health and well-being via prayers, best wishes, thoughts, etc.. He is as fine an individual as I've ever known and deserves all the love, honor and respect we can send.

SEMPER FI, Salty

| Reply
Aug 18, 2019 15:21:59   #
no propaganda please (a regular here)
 
slatten49 wrote:
I spent quite some time on the phone this morning with 'PoppaGringo,' aka 'Salty'. I wish to address all OPPers regarding our relationship and bits of that conversation.

Over our years on OPP, we have become especially close. This, in spite of my living in Central Texas and him in greater San Diego, California. Perhaps it came about soon after we became acquainted through the OPP forum, due to our both being USMC combat Veterans...he of Korea, myself of Viet Nam. For whatever reason, we hit it off. Both of us being Marines, he soon started calling me 'Boot,' while I reciprocated by calling him 'Salty.' Marines on OPP will understand both in the text of each serving as terms of enduring & endearing respect.

We have visited with one another on both home grounds and maintain steady contact via phone and email. In the past, when he was active on OPP, we also maintained close communication through PMs. As we have met several of each others family, we have also become as family ourselves. Thus, it saddens me to provide the following update that had been requested by several OPPers as of late. I was given permission to share this info.

Salty now describes himself as totally disabled. He is unable to walk or take care of himself, and recently moved in with his retired Naval Officer son. His daughter is now visiting with him, and in the near future, he will be traveling back to Florida with her for continuous home care in her residence. We discussed the likelihood of our working out a plan where we could all spend some time together in Texas on their way back to Florida by car.

I will be point out that he & I had disagreements on...among other things, politics. However, nothing stood or stands between our common bond as proud American Veterans. A note: One thing he had asked keeping quiet about on the forum was his being a POW during the Korean conflict. Upon his return to the states after Korea, he had suffered criticism as a result of being a POW and was sensitive to such. I now reveal that because it explains to a even higher degree the level of sacrifice he made in service to our great nation. It also adds to the reasons I revere the man.

I ask that each of you who know/knew of Salty (or even if you didn't) give pause when you can and, in the manner you choose, address his health and well-being via prayers, best wishes, thoughts, etc.. He is as fine an individual as I've ever known and deserves all the love, honor and respect we can send.

SEMPER FI, Salty
I spent quite some time on the phone this morning ... (show quote)


I remember him. Of course he will be in our thoughts and prayers.
NPPand SWMBO

| Reply
Aug 18, 2019 15:51:16   #
GmanTerry (a regular here)
 
slatten49 wrote:
I spent quite some time on the phone this morning with 'PoppaGringo,' aka 'Salty'. I wish to address all OPPers regarding our relationship and bits of that conversation.

Over our years on OPP, we have become especially close. This, in spite of my living in Central Texas and him in greater San Diego, California. Perhaps it came about soon after we became acquainted through the OPP forum, due to our both being USMC combat Veterans...he of Korea, myself of Viet Nam. For whatever reason, we hit it off. Both of us being Marines, he soon started calling me 'Boot,' while I reciprocated by calling him 'Salty.' Marines on OPP will understand both in the text of each serving as terms of enduring & endearing respect.

We have visited with one another on both home grounds and maintain steady contact via phone and email. In the past, when he was active on OPP, we also maintained close communication through PMs. As we have met several of each others family, we have also become as family ourselves. Thus, it saddens me to provide the following update that had been requested by several OPPers as of late. I was given permission to share this info.

Salty now describes himself as totally disabled. He is unable to walk or take care of himself, and recently moved in with his retired Naval Officer son. His daughter is now visiting with him, and in the near future, he will be traveling back to Florida with her for continuous home care in her residence. We discussed the likelihood of our working out a plan where we could all spend some time together in Texas on their way back to Florida by car.

I will point out that he & I had disagreements on...among other things, politics. However, nothing stood or stands between our common bond as proud American Veterans. A note: One thing he had asked keeping quiet about on the forum was his being a POW during the Korean conflict. Upon his return to the states after Korea, he had suffered criticism as a result of being a POW and was sensitive to such. BTW, he was injured and unconscious from incoming artillery fire when captured. I now reveal that because it explains to a even higher degree the level of sacrifice he made in service to our great nation. It also adds to the reasons I revere the man.

I ask that each of you who know/knew of Salty (or even if you didn't) give pause when you can and, in the manner you choose, address his health and well-being via prayers, best wishes, thoughts, etc.. He is as fine an individual as I've ever known and deserves all the love, honor and respect we can send.

SEMPER FI, Salty
I spent quite some time on the phone this morning ... (show quote)


Thank you for the update brother. I wondered what had happened to him. Pass on our best to him when you next communicate.

Semper Fi

| Reply
Aug 18, 2019 15:51:23   #
archie bunker (a regular here)
 
slatten49 wrote:
I spent quite some time on the phone this morning with 'PoppaGringo,' aka 'Salty'. I wish to address all OPPers regarding our relationship and bits of that conversation.

Over our years on OPP, we have become especially close. This, in spite of my living in Central Texas and him in greater San Diego, California. Perhaps it came about soon after we became acquainted through the OPP forum, due to our both being USMC combat Veterans...he of Korea, myself of Viet Nam. For whatever reason, we hit it off. Both of us being Marines, he soon started calling me 'Boot,' while I reciprocated by calling him 'Salty.' Marines on OPP will understand both in the text of each serving as terms of enduring & endearing respect.

We have visited with one another on both home grounds and maintain steady contact via phone and email. In the past, when he was active on OPP, we also maintained close communication through PMs. As we have met several of each others family, we have also become as family ourselves. Thus, it saddens me to provide the following update that had been requested by several OPPers as of late. I was given permission to share this info.

Salty now describes himself as totally disabled. He is unable to walk or take care of himself, and recently moved in with his retired Naval Officer son. His daughter is now visiting with him, and in the near future, he will be traveling back to Florida with her for continuous home care in her residence. We discussed the likelihood of our working out a plan where we could all spend some time together in Texas on their way back to Florida by car.

I will point out that he & I had disagreements on...among other things, politics. However, nothing stood or stands between our common bond as proud American Veterans. A note: One thing he had asked keeping quiet about on the forum was his being a POW during the Korean conflict. Upon his return to the states after Korea, he had suffered criticism as a result of being a POW and was sensitive to such. BTW, he was injured and unconscious from incoming artillery fire when captured. I now reveal that because it explains to a even higher degree the level of sacrifice he made in service to our great nation. It also adds to the reasons I revere the man.

I ask that each of you who know/knew of Salty (or even if you didn't) give pause when you can and, in the manner you choose, address his health and well-being via prayers, best wishes, thoughts, etc.. He is as fine an individual as I've ever known and deserves all the love, honor and respect we can send.

SEMPER FI, Salty
I spent quite some time on the phone this morning ... (show quote)


I always admired his dry wit, and considered him a friend. After all he's been through, it's a testiment to him that he held his family together, and they have the love for him that they obviously do.
He'll be recieving prayers from this household for sure.

| Reply
Aug 18, 2019 15:52:22   #
bahmer (a regular here)
 
no propaganda please wrote:
I remember him. Of course he will be in our thoughts and prayers.
NPPand SWMBO


Same here he will be in my prayers as well. Take care PapaGringo we all love you.

| Reply
Aug 18, 2019 15:59:34   #
badbobby (a regular here)
 
slatten49 wrote:
I spent quite some time on the phone this morning with 'PoppaGringo,' aka 'Salty'. I wish to address all OPPers regarding our relationship and bits of that conversation.

Over our years on OPP, we have become especially close. This, in spite of my living in Central Texas and him in greater San Diego, California. Perhaps it came about soon after we became acquainted through the OPP forum, due to our both being USMC combat Veterans...he of Korea, myself of Viet Nam. For whatever reason, we hit it off. Both of us being Marines, he soon started calling me 'Boot,' while I reciprocated by calling him 'Salty.' Marines on OPP will understand both in the text of each serving as terms of enduring & endearing respect.

We have visited with one another on both home grounds and maintain steady contact via phone and email. In the past, when he was active on OPP, we also maintained close communication through PMs. As we have met several of each others family, we have also become as family ourselves. Thus, it saddens me to provide the following update that had been requested by several OPPers as of late. I was given permission to share this info.

Salty now describes himself as totally disabled. He is unable to walk or take care of himself, and recently moved in with his retired Naval Officer son. His daughter is now visiting with him, and in the near future, he will be traveling back to Florida with her for continuous home care in her residence. We discussed the likelihood of our working out a plan where we could all spend some time together in Texas on their way back to Florida by car.

I will point out that he & I had disagreements on...among other things, politics. However, nothing stood or stands between our common bond as proud American Veterans. A note: One thing he had asked keeping quiet about on the forum was his being a POW during the Korean conflict. Upon his return to the states after Korea, he had suffered criticism as a result of being a POW and was sensitive to such. BTW, he was injured and unconscious from incoming artillery fire when captured. I now reveal that because it explains to a even higher degree the level of sacrifice he made in service to our great nation. It also adds to the reasons I revere the man.

I ask that each of you who know/knew of Salty (or even if you didn't) give pause when you can and, in the manner you choose, address his health and well-being via prayers, best wishes, thoughts, etc.. He is as fine an individual as I've ever known and deserves all the love, honor and respect we can send.

SEMPER FI, Salty
I spent quite some time on the phone this morning ... (show quote)
Thanks Slat
I knew Papi was ill,but I didn't know it was that bad
Though I never met Papi personally
<I admired him for his wit and his charm
Papi even took me under his wing when I first came on to OPP,and more or less taught me the ropes
My heart is broken to hear the extent of Papi's problems
you feel sorry for yourself,because you think your time is running out,and there is still so much you want to do.Now I'm ashamed of my feelings
I have it so much better than my dear friend(And though I never met Papi personally,he is my dear friend)
my prayers go to this fine person in my life
and to you Papi

OOORAH!!!

| Reply
Aug 18, 2019 16:21:28   #
lpnmajor (a regular here)
 
slatten49 wrote:
I spent quite some time on the phone this morning with 'PoppaGringo,' aka 'Salty'. I wish to address all OPPers regarding our relationship and bits of that conversation.

Over our years on OPP, we have become especially close. This, in spite of my living in Central Texas and him in greater San Diego, California. Perhaps it came about soon after we became acquainted through the OPP forum, due to our both being USMC combat Veterans...he of Korea, myself of Viet Nam. For whatever reason, we hit it off. Both of us being Marines, he soon started calling me 'Boot,' while I reciprocated by calling him 'Salty.' Marines on OPP will understand both in the text of each serving as terms of enduring & endearing respect.

We have visited with one another on both home grounds and maintain steady contact via phone and email. In the past, when he was active on OPP, we also maintained close communication through PMs. As we have met several of each others family, we have also become as family ourselves. Thus, it saddens me to provide the following update that had been requested by several OPPers as of late. I was given permission to share this info.

Salty now describes himself as totally disabled. He is unable to walk or take care of himself, and recently moved in with his retired Naval Officer son. His daughter is now visiting with him, and in the near future, he will be traveling back to Florida with her for continuous home care in her residence. We discussed the likelihood of our working out a plan where we could all spend some time together in Texas on their way back to Florida by car.

I will point out that he & I had disagreements on...among other things, politics. However, nothing stood or stands between our common bond as proud American Veterans. A note: One thing he had asked keeping quiet about on the forum was his being a POW during the Korean conflict. Upon his return to the states after Korea, he had suffered criticism as a result of being a POW and was sensitive to such. BTW, he was injured and unconscious from incoming artillery fire when captured. I now reveal that because it explains to a even higher degree the level of sacrifice he made in service to our great nation. It also adds to the reasons I revere the man.

I ask that each of you who know/knew of Salty (or even if you didn't) give pause when you can and, in the manner you choose, address his health and well-being via prayers, best wishes, thoughts, etc.. He is as fine an individual as I've ever known and deserves all the love, honor and respect we can send.

SEMPER FI, Salty
I spent quite some time on the phone this morning ... (show quote)


Roger that.

| Reply
Aug 18, 2019 16:27:43   #
archie bunker (a regular here)
 
badbobby wrote:
Thanks Slat
I knew Papi was ill,but I didn't know it was that bad
Though I never met Papi personally
<I admired him for his wit and his charm
Papi even took me under his wing when I first came on to OPP,and more or less taught me the ropes
My heart is broken to hear the extent of Papi's problems
you feel sorry for yourself,because you think your time is running out,and there is still so much you want to do.Now I'm ashamed of my feelings
I have it so much better than my dear friend(And though I never met Papi personally,he is my dear friend)
my prayers go to this fine person in my life
and to you Papi

OOORAH!!!
Thanks Slat br I knew Papi was ill,but I didn't kn... (show quote)


Well said BB! I think, maybe, that many of us take a lot for granted in life.

| Reply
Aug 18, 2019 16:53:17   #
Coos Bay Tom (a regular here)
 
slatten49 wrote:
I spent quite some time on the phone this morning with 'PoppaGringo,' aka 'Salty'. I wish to address all OPPers regarding our relationship and bits of that conversation.

Over our years on OPP, we have become especially close. This, in spite of my living in Central Texas and him in greater San Diego, California. Perhaps it came about soon after we became acquainted through the OPP forum, due to our both being USMC combat Veterans...he of Korea, myself of Viet Nam. For whatever reason, we hit it off. Both of us being Marines, he soon started calling me 'Boot,' while I reciprocated by calling him 'Salty.' Marines on OPP will understand both in the text of each serving as terms of enduring & endearing respect.

We have visited with one another on both home grounds and maintain steady contact via phone and email. In the past, when he was active on OPP, we also maintained close communication through PMs. As we have met several of each others family, we have also become as family ourselves. Thus, it saddens me to provide the following update that had been requested by several OPPers as of late. I was given permission to share this info.

Salty now describes himself as totally disabled. He is unable to walk or take care of himself, and recently moved in with his retired Naval Officer son. His daughter is now visiting with him, and in the near future, he will be traveling back to Florida with her for continuous home care in her residence. We discussed the likelihood of our working out a plan where we could all spend some time together in Texas on their way back to Florida by car.

I will point out that he & I had disagreements on...among other things, politics. However, nothing stood or stands between our common bond as proud American Veterans. A note: One thing he had asked keeping quiet about on the forum was his being a POW during the Korean conflict. Upon his return to the states after Korea, he had suffered criticism as a result of being a POW and was sensitive to such. BTW, he was injured and unconscious from incoming artillery fire when captured. I now reveal that because it explains to a even higher degree the level of sacrifice he made in service to our great nation. It also adds to the reasons I revere the man.

I ask that each of you who know/knew of Salty (or even if you didn't) give pause when you can and, in the manner you choose, address his health and well-being via prayers, best wishes, thoughts, etc.. He is as fine an individual as I've ever known and deserves all the love, honor and respect we can send.

SEMPER FI, Salty
I spent quite some time on the phone this morning ... (show quote)


I really liked Micheal. I was my pleasure to speak with him over the phone once thanks to you Slats. I wish him all the best in his move to Florida.

| Reply
Aug 18, 2019 21:54:10   #
Lonewolf (a regular here)
 
slatten49 wrote:
I spent quite some time on the phone this morning with 'PoppaGringo,' aka 'Salty'. I wish to address all OPPers regarding our relationship and bits of that conversation.

Over our years on OPP, we have become especially close. This, in spite of my living in Central Texas and him in greater San Diego, California. Perhaps it came about soon after we became acquainted through the OPP forum, due to our both being USMC combat Veterans...he of Korea, myself of Viet Nam. For whatever reason, we hit it off. Both of us being Marines, he soon started calling me 'Boot,' while I reciprocated by calling him 'Salty.' Marines on OPP will understand both in the text of each serving as terms of enduring & endearing respect.

We have visited with one another on both home grounds and maintain steady contact via phone and email. In the past, when he was active on OPP, we also maintained close communication through PMs. As we have met several of each others family, we have also become as family ourselves. Thus, it saddens me to provide the following update that had been requested by several OPPers as of late. I was given permission to share this info.

Salty now describes himself as totally disabled. He is unable to walk or take care of himself, and recently moved in with his retired Naval Officer son. His daughter is now visiting with him, and in the near future, he will be traveling back to Florida with her for continuous home care in her residence. We discussed the likelihood of our working out a plan where we could all spend some time together in Texas on their way back to Florida by car.

I will point out that he & I had disagreements on...among other things, politics. However, nothing stood or stands between our common bond as proud American Veterans. A note: One thing he had asked keeping quiet about on the forum was his being a POW during the Korean conflict. Upon his return to the states after Korea, he had suffered criticism as a result of being a POW and was sensitive to such. BTW, he was injured and unconscious from incoming artillery fire when captured. I now reveal that because it explains to a even higher degree the level of sacrifice he made in service to our great nation. It also adds to the reasons I revere the man.

I ask that each of you who know/knew of Salty (or even if you didn't) give pause when you can and, in the manner you choose, address his health and well-being via prayers, best wishes, thoughts, etc.. He is as fine an individual as I've ever known and deserves all the love, honor and respect we can send.

SEMPER FI, Salty
I spent quite some time on the phone this morning ... (show quote)


In my prayers

| Reply
Aug 20, 2019 07:58:06   #
BearK
 
badbobby wrote:
Thanks Slat
I knew Papi was ill,but I didn't know it was that bad
Though I never met Papi personally
<I admired him for his wit and his charm
Papi even took me under his wing when I first came on to OPP,and more or less taught me the ropes
My heart is broken to hear the extent of Papi's problems
you feel sorry for yourself,because you think your time is running out,and there is still so much you want to do.Now I'm ashamed of my feelings
I have it so much better than my dear friend(And though I never met Papi personally,he is my dear friend)
my prayers go to this fine person in my life
and to you Papi

OOORAH!!!
Thanks Slat br I knew Papi was ill,but I didn't kn... (show quote)


It was good time teasing between the three of you. PG is a man of integrity, a man to be admired. From some previous texts it was obvious he was not doing well. I know our good Lord will be watching over him. I will keep him in prayer. Thanks for this info Slats.

| Reply
Aug 20, 2019 08:14:26   #
slatten49 (a regular here)
 
BearK wrote:
It was good time teasing between the three of you. PG is a man of integrity, a man to be admired. From some previous texts it was obvious he was not doing well. I know our good Lord will be watching over him. I will keep him in prayer. Thanks for this info Slats.

Marie, whenever I speak with him on the phone, Salty always asks about you & BadBobby.

| Reply
Aug 30, 2019 16:08:44   #
lindajoy
 
slatten49 wrote:
I spent quite some time on the phone this morning with 'PoppaGringo,' aka 'Salty'. I wish to address all OPPers regarding our relationship and bits of that conversation.

Over our years on OPP, we have become especially close. This, in spite of my living in Central Texas and him in greater San Diego, California. Perhaps it came about soon after we became acquainted through the OPP forum, due to our both being USMC combat Veterans...he of Korea, myself of Viet Nam. For whatever reason, we hit it off. Both of us being Marines, he soon started calling me 'Boot,' while I reciprocated by calling him 'Salty.' Marines on OPP will understand both in the text of each serving as terms of enduring & endearing respect.

We have visited with one another on both home grounds and maintain steady contact via phone and email. In the past, when he was active on OPP, we also maintained close communication through PMs. As we have met several of each others family, we have also become as family ourselves. Thus, it saddens me to provide the following update that had been requested by several OPPers as of late. I was given permission to share this info.

Salty now describes himself as totally disabled. He is unable to walk or take care of himself, and recently moved in with his retired Naval Officer son. His daughter is now visiting with him, and in the near future, he will be traveling back to Florida with her for continuous home care in her residence. We discussed the likelihood of our working out a plan where we could all spend some time together in Texas on their way back to Florida by car.

I will point out that he & I had disagreements on...among other things, politics. However, nothing stood or stands between our common bond as proud American Veterans. A note: One thing he had asked keeping quiet about on the forum was his being a POW during the Korean conflict. Upon his return to the states after Korea, he had suffered criticism as a result of being a POW and was sensitive to such. BTW, he was injured and unconscious from incoming artillery fire when captured. I now reveal that because it explains to a even higher degree the level of sacrifice he made in service to our great nation. It also adds to the reasons I revere the man.

I ask that each of you who know/knew of Salty (or even if you didn't) give pause when you can and, in the manner you choose, address his health and well-being via prayers, best wishes, thoughts, etc.. He is as fine an individual as I've ever known and deserves all the love, honor and respect we can send.

SEMPER FI, Salty
I spent quite some time on the phone this morning ... (show quote)


As you know I often wondered where he was and suspected more was up to it all..
He is a man of honor so very true and he is a fine gentleman as well..

I wish him well and will keep him in my prayers and lifted by He above..

It saddens me to read this Slat, although I am very grateful to you for letting us all know..

As I sat reading this I thought of our exchanges and the ever so beautiful music he would on occasion post back, the epitome of fine music never escaped him and was perfect in describing him although that was never his intention...

Please, the next time you speak with him tell him hello and love him much..

Such an amazing man with absolutely nothing to regret especially being a POW!!!!!!!

| Reply
Aug 30, 2019 16:09:21   #
lindajoy
 
archie bunker wrote:
Well said BB! I think, maybe, that many of us take a lot for granted in life.


There is absolute truth in what you say here, Arch!!

| Reply
Aug 30, 2019 16:10:03   #
lindajoy
 
BearK wrote:
It was good time teasing between the three of you. PG is a man of integrity, a man to be admired. From some previous texts it was obvious he was not doing well. I know our good Lord will be watching over him. I will keep him in prayer. Thanks for this info Slats.



| Reply
Page: 1 2 next>>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
OnePoliticalPlaza.com - Forum
Copyright 2012-2019 IDF International Technologies, Inc.