One Political PlazaSM - Home of politics
This is a Start: Court Rules President Trump Can Defund Planned Parenthood, Will Cut Almost $60 Million in Taxpayer Funding
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Jul 12, 2019 12:46:51   #
Parky60 (a regular here)
 
Didn't see this anywhere in the lamestream media.

https://www.lifenews.com/2019/07/11/court-rules-president-trump-can-defund-planned-parenthood-will-cut-almost-60-million-in-taxpayer-funding-2/?fbclid=IwAR3L6ohBMjGB6aVAqE3eMbWjhhd7bA73yoDh14P9IdSjtK8vC0yWFREe_v0

And this should be reported at the top of this article instead of being buried at the bottom:

A recent Marist poll found that, by a double-digit margin, a majority of all Americans oppose any taxpayer funding of abortion (54 percent to 39 percent).

| Reply
Jul 12, 2019 12:59:50   #
Kevyn (a regular here)
 
Parky60 wrote:
Didn't see this anywhere in the lamestream media.

https://www.lifenews.com/2019/07/11/court-rules-president-trump-can-defund-planned-parenthood-will-cut-almost-60-million-in-taxpayer-funding-2/?fbclid=IwAR3L6ohBMjGB6aVAqE3eMbWjhhd7bA73yoDh14P9IdSjtK8vC0yWFREe_v0

And this should be reported at the top of this article instead of being buried at the bottom:

A recent Marist poll found that, by a double-digit margin, a majority of all Americans oppose any taxpayer funding of abortion (54 percent to 39 percent).
Didn't see this anywhere in the lamestream media. ... (show quote)


70% of Americans believe that woman have a constitutional right to obtain an abortion if they want to terminate a pregnancy.

| Reply
Jul 12, 2019 13:11:01   #
The Critical Critic (a regular here)
 
Kevyn wrote:
70% of Americans believe that woman have a constitutional right to obtain an abortion if they want to terminate a pregnancy.


That’s odd, first because the Constitution doesn’t grant rights to citizens, and second, the word abortion isn’t in the Constitution nor is any kind of healthcare.

| Reply
Jul 12, 2019 13:16:29   #
woodguru (a regular here)
 
Parky60 wrote:
Didn't see this anywhere in the lamestream media.

https://www.lifenews.com/2019/07/11/court-rules-president-trump-can-defund-planned-parenthood-will-cut-almost-60-million-in-taxpayer-funding-2/?fbclid=IwAR3L6ohBMjGB6aVAqE3eMbWjhhd7bA73yoDh14P9IdSjtK8vC0yWFREe_v0

And this should be reported at the top of this article instead of being buried at the bottom:

A recent Marist poll found that, by a double-digit margin, a majority of all Americans oppose any taxpayer funding of abortion (54 percent to 39 percent).
Didn't see this anywhere in the lamestream media. ... (show quote)


Ignorance prevails...it is already illegal to use federal funds for abortions. Planned parenthood is about so many things besides abortion, it is about prenatal care, ultrasounds, cancer screening...in fact hundreds of thousands of women have been diagnosed early enough to save their lives.

Of course the number of people who oppose the government paying for abortions is high, but it doesn't reflect the fact that the government doesn't, so it is in affect an agreement by people who know that, and ignorance by those who don't.

So in effect defunding planned parenthood and women's health centers is defunding a lot of good programs.

And by the way, this is a matter for legislation, not executive order, the people get to say, not the minority that put this moron in office.

The majority of americans favors legal abortions, it is a quickly shrinking minority that doesn't.

| Reply
Jul 12, 2019 13:24:13   #
woodguru (a regular here)
 
Kevyn wrote:
70% of Americans believe that woman have a constitutional right to obtain an abortion if they want to terminate a pregnancy.


You said that wrong... 100% of people with brains know that women have a constitutional right to have an abortion...

when asked about agreeing if women have a right to make their own choice it's upwards of 70% that do

It's a fight the GOP is going to die on one way or another, this nation is no longer a christian nation

| Reply
Jul 12, 2019 13:25:36   #
Kevyn (a regular here)
 
The Critical Critic wrote:
That’s odd, first because the Constitution doesn’t grant rights to citizens, and second, the word abortion isn’t in the Constitution nor is any kind of healthcare.


The supreme court ruled it a constitutional right in 1973

| Reply
Jul 12, 2019 13:26:06   #
Kevyn (a regular here)
 
woodguru wrote:
You said that wrong... 100% of people with brains know that women have a constitutional right to have an abortion...

when asked about agreeing if women have a right to make their own choice it's upwards of 70% that do

It's a fight the GOP is going to die on one way or another, this nation is no longer a christian nation


It never was.

| Reply
Jul 12, 2019 13:26:10   #
Parky60 (a regular here)
 
woodguru wrote:
Ignorance prevails...it is already illegal to use federal funds for abortions. Planned parenthood is about so many things besides abortion, it is about prenatal care, ultrasounds, cancer screening...in fact hundreds of thousands of women have been diagnosed early enough to save their lives.

Of course the number of people who oppose the government paying for abortions is high, but it doesn't reflect the fact that the government doesn't, so it is in affect an agreement by people who know that, and ignorance by those who don't.

So in effect defunding planned parenthood and women's health centers is defunding a lot of good programs.

And by the way, this is a matter for legislation, not executive order, the people get to say, not the minority that put this moron in office.

The majority of americans favors legal abortions, it is a quickly shrinking minority that doesn't.
Ignorance prevails...it is already illegal to use ... (show quote)

The only ignorance is yours and it's willful.

Here are the top myths Planned Parenthood peddles that are debunked by information from its own annual report.

Abortion is just 3 percent of Planned Parenthood’s business
This statistic has been rated false by left-leaning outlets, including Slate and the Washington Post. The claim rests on a deceptive tactic: calculating abortion procedures as a fraction of its “services” — defined by the group as “discrete clinical interactions” — rather than as a fraction of its clients.

Take an example. A woman walks into a Planned Parenthood clinic. She takes a pregnancy test, meets with a counselor, and chooses to have an abortion procedure. While she’s there, she also receives an STI test and a breast exam and is handed birth control on her way out the door. Planned Parenthood would count each of these “discrete interactions” — six in total — as a service, so abortion would be only 16 percent of that woman’s visit.

Applying this method to an entire year of “services,” Planned Parenthood inflates its numbers to make abortion look like a vanishingly small part of what it does. The actual numbers in the report tell a drastically different story.

Look, for instance, at how the 321,384 abortion procedures dwarf adoption referrals (3,889) and prenatal services (7,762). Planned Parenthood performed 83 abortions for every one adoption referral last year. And its prenatal services have dropped steadily every year since 2009, from over 40,000 that year to just under 8,000 last year. Hardly “comprehensive women’s health care.”

What’s more, Planned Parenthood performs about one-third of annual U.S. abortions, making it the single largest abortion provider in the country, by far. As the most expensive procedure provided, abortion underwrites a huge portion of the group’s bottom line. Surely this is why the national organization routinely imposes abortion quotas on its regional affiliates and rewards clinics that exceed their abortion targets.

Planned Parenthood president, Cecile Richards, has inadvertently underscored the group’s repeated attempts to downplay its commitment to abortion. Richards met with Ivanka Trump last year to discuss the group’s future, and Trump suggested that Planned Parenthood split into two financially distinct groups, one of which offered no abortion, allowing it to receive government money without compromising taxpayers’ consciences. Richards refused, calling it naïve and saying that Trump failed to understand how central abortion is to Planned Parenthood’s mission.

Millions of women wouldn’t have health care if Planned Parenthood didn’t exist
The report indicates that Planned Parenthood saw 2.4 million clients in the last fiscal year. But, as has been shown by the group’s own figures, it doesn’t provide those clients with very many actual health-care services. According to the report, the only significant services offered, besides abortion, are STI and HIV tests, contraception, and pregnancy tests.

Last year, it provided only 235,000 well-woman exams and 32,000 “family practice services,” despite executives’ repeated claims that the group is an average health-care provider offering a vast selection of regular health-care services.

The report also hints, but doesn’t outright acknowledge, that Planned Parenthood closed dozens of clinics over the last year. Its 2015–16 report cited “nearly 650 health centers,” while this year’s report highlights “more than 600.”

According to American Life League’s annual survey, Planned Parenthood closed 32 clinics last year, leaving the group with just 597 facilities. This means that several states have only a handful of Planned Parenthood centers, and some have as few as one or two. And yet we are supposed to believe that these paltry clinics provide essential care to women who would otherwise have nowhere to go.

In reality, there exist over 13,000 federally qualified health-care centers across the country that offer a wide array of actual health-care procedures, not just a tiny selection of reproductive services. These centers outnumber Planned Parenthood facilities 20 to one. It is beyond absurd to suggest that American women would have nowhere to turn for health care if not to Planned Parenthood.

Planned Parenthood both needs and deserves government funding
A plurality of Planned Parenthood’s revenue last year came from government reimbursements and grants, totaling more than half a billion dollars. The group is, understandably, fixated on retaining and expanding that funding — surely in large part for the PR cover it provides. Planned Parenthood’s political-action wing spends millions each year lobbying to increase its federal funding, essentially taking government coin and using it to push for even more.

The group’s executives have recently taken to crusading against the Hyde Amendment, which bars federal funding from paying for abortion procedures. (The fungibility of money, of course, means that any federal money given to Planned Parenthood aids the group in providing abortions.)

But the group could very easily continue to exist without federal money. For one thing, the Trump administration has been great for business. The group’s private donations went up by nearly $100 million last year, bringing the tally to more than half a billion dollars from wealthy benefactors. If Planned Parenthood were ever actually defunded, you can bet that number would skyrocket even higher.

And there’s no question that Planned Parenthood is rolling in excess cash. Its net assets at the end of last fiscal year totaled more than $1.6 billion, up from $1.5 billion the year before. The group directs more than $174 million annually to management salaries, an ever-increasing number.

Planned Parenthood’s PAC is among the most powerful lobbying groups in American politics, shelling out $40 million last year for “public policy” and investing upwards of $175 million in such nebulous categories as “movement building,” “strengthening and securing Planned Parenthood,” and “engaging communities.”

If the group can manage to scrounge up enough cash for these activities — and continue to sit comfortably on assets in excess of $1 billion — surely it can bear its own operating costs. Given its commitment to abortion, and its lack of commitment to much else in the way of actual health care, it should be required to do just that.

The public square is rife with misinformation and outright lies about what Planned Parenthood does. Its own annual report should end any debate. It is, first and foremost, a corporation that profits from the routine and casual slaughter of unborn children. For the sake of political prudence, it must be defunded. For the sake of justice, it must be shut down.

| Reply
Jul 12, 2019 13:27:08   #
Parky60 (a regular here)
 
woodguru wrote:
You said that wrong... 100% of people with brains know that women have a constitutional right to have an abortion...

when asked about agreeing if women have a right to make their own choice it's upwards of 70% that do

It's a fight the GOP is going to die on one way or another, this nation is no longer a christian nation

So we have a constitutional right to murder people?

| Reply
Jul 12, 2019 13:33:57   #
Parky60 (a regular here)
 
woodguru wrote:
You said that wrong... 100% of people with brains know that women have a constitutional right to have an abortion...

when asked about agreeing if women have a right to make their own choice it's upwards of 70% that do

It's a fight the GOP is going to die on one way or another, this nation is no longer a christian nation

Of course you're missing the point. Current SCOTUS rulings indicate you have a constitutional right to murder your child.

BUT a majority of all Americans oppose any taxpayer funding of abortion (54 percent to 39 percent).

And regardless of what you say, PP is "cooking the books" to hide the fact that they use taxpayer funding for abortions.

| Reply
Jul 12, 2019 13:38:33   #
Rose42 (a regular here)
 
woodguru wrote:
Ignorance prevails...it is already illegal to use federal funds for abortions.


Nevertheless some are indeed used for abortions indirectly. And states can fund abortions through Medicaid.

Quote:
Of course the number of people who oppose the government paying for abortions is high, but it doesn't reflect the fact that the government doesn't, so it is in affect an agreement by people who know that, and ignorance by those who don't.


Not exactly true -

https://www.forbes.com/sites/theapothecary/2015/10/02/are-american-taxpayers-paying-for-abortion/#421a6d066a4b

Quote:
The majority of americans favors legal abortions, it is a quickly shrinking minority that doesn't.


Doesn't look like that claim is true either.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/1576/abortion.aspx

| Reply
Jul 12, 2019 15:28:39   #
Carol Kelly (a regular here)
 
Kevyn wrote:
70% of Americans believe that woman have a constitutional right to obtain an abortion if they want to terminate a pregnancy.


Nothing in the Constitution gives anyone the right to kill. Stop using the Constitution for every little thing.

| Reply
Jul 12, 2019 15:30:28   #
Carol Kelly (a regular here)
 
Parky60 wrote:
Of course you're missing the point. Current SCOTUS rulings indicate you have a constitutional right to murder your child.

BUT a majority of all Americans oppose any taxpayer funding of abortion (54 percent to 39 percent).

And regardless of what you say, PP is "cooking the books" to hide the fact that they use taxpayer funding for abortions.


SCOTUS doesn’t equal CONSTITUTIONAL right. Sometimes they get it wrong.

| Reply
Jul 12, 2019 15:45:04   #
The Critical Critic (a regular here)
 
Kevyn wrote:
The supreme court ruled it a constitutional right in 1973

Problem is, the federal courts do not have the power to legislate from the bench, or negate State laws over issues the federal government has no authority over.

The long and short of it all is that abortion is a state issue.

Sure, on the moral level I believe that a child's life begins at conception. Evidence shows that a fetus feels pain. The heartbeat begins at 21 days. At less than four weeks the little fingers are distinguishable. In my personal opinion, abortion is America's own genocide.

But my argument goes farther than merely my moral opinions. Setting aside morality, religion, and anything else in the coffer, what it all really comes down to is the law. After all, we say that this is a nation of laws, and that our government is supposed to function under the rule of law. So, let's consider what the law says.

Roe v. Wade was a Supreme Court decision that overturned a Texas state law that made abortion illegal in the State of Texas. The Supreme Court, in their ruling, held that a woman, with her doctor, could choose abortion in earlier months of pregnancy without restriction, and with restrictions in later months, based on the right to privacy. The date was January 22, 1973.

The Roe v. Wade decision invalidated all state laws regarding abortion during the first trimester of pregnancy. State laws limiting abortion during the second trimester were ruled by the courts as acceptable as long as those limitations were for the purpose of protecting the health of the pregnant woman.

The opinions of the justices used the Ninth Amendment to the United States Constitution as the basis of their decision. By doing so, they labeled abortion to be a "right," and the Ninth Amendment basically indicates that just because a right is not listed in the Bill of Rights for protection, it doesn't mean that the right does not exist, or that the right can be violated by the government.

Text of the Ninth Amendment: "The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people."

The "Roe" in the case was Norma McCorvey. She alleged that the abortion law in Texas violated her constitutional rights and the rights of other women. McCorvey has since changed her mind about abortion, and is now a vocal pro-life advocate.

Is abortion a right? One must then ask, "What about the right of the child to live?"

Pro-abortion forces have determined that the unborn child (fetus, zygote) is not alive, therefore the unborn child has no rights.

The next question asked then must be, "Does the Bill of Rights apply to the States?" The original intent is that the Bill of Rights only applies to the Federal Government. There is an argument that the 14th Amendment, however, changed that so that the first ten amendments to the Constitution does apply to the States, and in fact, the original drafter of the 14th Amendment had that in mind. However, the Congressional record shows that during the five months the 14th Amendment was debated, the Congress decided that they should stick to the original intent of the founders, and not enable the 14th Amendment to apply the Bill of Rights to the States. If that still holds true to this day, then that would mean the Ninth Amendment is not applicable in this case.

Studying the Constitution, we find that nowhere else is there anything that remotely gives the federal government the authority to make laws, or for the courts to rule on, issues like abortion, medical procedures, or anything else that has to do with such personal decisions. And if that is the case, then pursuant to the Tenth Amendment, abortion is a State issue. That would mean the federal courts could not constitutionally hear the case, and the Texas State Supreme Court would have final say - and that court had held up the law in question.

From a constitutional standpoint, the federal courts had no authority to take the case, rule on the case, overturn a State law, nor make abortion legal with a ruling. Therefore, the obvious conclusion is that technically Roe v. Wade did not make abortion legal, or at least it shouldn't have.


D.V. Gibbs

| Reply
Jul 12, 2019 16:22:30   #
lpnmajor (a regular here)
 
Parky60 wrote:
Didn't see this anywhere in the lamestream media.

https://www.lifenews.com/2019/07/11/court-rules-president-trump-can-defund-planned-parenthood-will-cut-almost-60-million-in-taxpayer-funding-2/?fbclid=IwAR3L6ohBMjGB6aVAqE3eMbWjhhd7bA73yoDh14P9IdSjtK8vC0yWFREe_v0

And this should be reported at the top of this article instead of being buried at the bottom:

A recent Marist poll found that, by a double-digit margin, a majority of all Americans oppose any taxpayer funding of abortion (54 percent to 39 percent).
Didn't see this anywhere in the lamestream media. ... (show quote)


That'll go part of the way to covering Trump's golf outings. Now we just need something to cover the non stop rally costs.

| Reply
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
OnePoliticalPlaza.com - Forum
Copyright 2012-2019 IDF International Technologies, Inc.