One Political PlazaSM - Home of politics
Timeless Wisdom
Jun 1, 2014 11:13:37   #
Levi5596 Loc: Dallas, TX
 
Ancient Wisdom

Hecataeus of Abdera, a Greek historian who lived at the end of the 4th century BCE, tells an amusing story about a certain march in which he participated during, or just following, Alexander the Great’s conquest of the ancient Near East:

When I was on the march toward the Red Sea, among the escort of Jewish cavalrymen, who accompanied us was a certain Mossollamus (Hebrew Meshullam), a very intelligent man, robust, and by common consent, the very best bowmen, whether Greek or barbarian.

This man, noticing that a number of people were now idling on the path that the whole force was being held up by a seer who was taking the auguries, asked (the seer) why they were stopping. The seer pointed to a certain bird he was observing , and told him that if it stayed in that spot, they would do well to wait around for awhile, If it got up and flew forward then they would proceed forward, If however it flew backward they were to turn back.

The Jew, without saying a word, drew his bow and shot, hitting the bird and killing it. The seer and some of the others became indignant and began heaping curses on him. “ What are you poor people getting so upset about?” he asked. Then picking up the bird in his hands, he said: How could any sound information about our journey have been provided by this poor creature, who was unable to make provision from his own safety? For if he had any gift for divination he never would have come to this place for fear of being killed by an arrow from Mossollamus the Jew..

Link to this MUST READ BOOK…

http://www.jameskugel.com/valley.php



| Reply
Jun 1, 2014 11:34:36   #
Wolf counselor Loc: Heart of Texas
 
An outstanding introduction. Welcome Levi5596.

The Taliban Hunting Club avatar is most appropriate for this forum.

You will fare well here, warrior.

Levi5596 wrote:
Ancient Wisdom

Hecataeus of Abdera, a Greek historian who lived at the end of the 4th century BCE, tells an amusing story about a certain march in which he participated during, or just following, Alexander the Great’s conquest of the ancient Near East:

When I was on the march toward the Red Sea, among the escort of Jewish cavalrymen, who accompanied us was a certain Mossollamus (Hebrew Meshullam), a very intelligent man, robust, and by common consent, the very best bowmen, whether Greek or barbarian.

This man, noticing that a number of people were now idling on the path that the whole force was being held up by a seer who was taking the auguries, asked (the seer) why they were stopping. The seer pointed to a certain bird he was observing , and told him that if it stayed in that spot, they would do well to wait around for awhile, If it got up and flew forward then they would proceed forward, If however it flew backward they were to turn back.

The Jew, without saying a word, drew his bow and shot, hitting the bird and killing it. The seer and some of the others became indignant and began heaping curses on him. “ What are you poor people getting so upset about?” he asked. Then picking up the bird in his hands, he said: How could any sound information about our journey have been provided by this poor creature, who was unable to make provision from his own safety? For if he had any gift for divination he never would have come to this place for fear of being killed by an arrow from Mossollamus the Jew..

Link to this MUST READ BOOK…

http://www.jameskugel.com/valley.php
Ancient Wisdom br br Hecataeus of Abdera, a Greek... (show quote)

| Reply
Jun 1, 2014 12:54:51   #
Levi5596 Loc: Dallas, TX
 
Thank you Sir!! Look forward to your many insightful nuggetts and gems as well. God Bless America!!!

Judges 3:31

All the best,

David



| Reply
Jun 1, 2014 13:58:49   #
PoppaGringo Loc: Muslim City, Mexifornia, B.R.
 
Wolf counselor wrote:
An outstanding introduction. Welcome Levi5596.

The Taliban Hunting Club avatar is most appropriate for this forum.

You will fare well here, warrior.




And may I also extend a hearty welcome to you Levi.

| Reply
Jun 2, 2014 21:40:19   #
Armageddun Loc: The show me state
 
Levi5596 wrote:
Thank you Sir!! Look forward to your many insightful nuggetts and gems as well. God Bless America!!!

Judges 3:31

All the best,

David


Get ready for a fun ride... WELCOME

| Reply
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
OnePoliticalPlaza.com - Forum
Copyright 2012-2020 IDF International Technologies, Inc.