One Political PlazaSM - Home of politics
Assisted Suicide: yea or nay?
Page: <<prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 next>>
Mar 30, 2019 23:14:16   #
Common_Sense_Matters
 
rumitoid wrote:
I am highly prejudice on this issue. Both my mother and sister died in agony for an extended period of time from cancer. If either had asked for help to the other side, I would have helped, though never suggest it. (As I know now, a peaceful extra dose of morphine would have done it.) But we were very Catholic. It was thought to be murder. And there was also the belief that God would find it in his mercy for a cure. I guess more than it would be murder as a deterrent, turning one's back on hope and God's power was a more effective argument.

In 1989, I went for a Hospice Degree. What I learned over the next four years, both in class and in hospitals, made me advocate for assisted suicide, even in cases of Alzheimer. But I am still not totally comfortable with my belief. Mostly that it can become a slippery slope and, like the presence of abortion, might inculcate a decrease in the sacredness of life. Or not. Maybe increase it.

If you were in extreme agony and told there was no possible cure, your family forced to see you tortured day after day after day and unable to help, what would you do and why?
I am highly prejudice on this issue. Both my mothe... (show quote)


I don't believe in prolonging misery if something can be done to alleviate it. Of course there are those that may choose to endure the agony in favor of life, I don't understand it but it is up to the sufferer what they choose to do. If one prefers to end the suffering early, I don't think we should be selfish and deny them, if they choose to live and endure the suffering, that is their choice to make. If asked to vote on making physician assisted suicide legal, I would vote in favor of it for those that would choose it, just so long as the choice is left to the sufferer and not their caretakers, unless unfeasible to ask the patient of course. If the sufferer can not answer, then it should be based on such things as a DNR, a will, and/or previously mentioned preferences/comments on the matter made by the person in misery.

| Reply
Mar 30, 2019 23:23:04   #
padremike Loc: Phenix City, Al
 
rumitoid wrote:
We see differently but unlike you, I respect your opinion and see no need to insult you. Please find the chapter and verse that says denigrate another to make a point. Good points, but why descend to insult? It's your right, of course, and being civil and respectful in debate my seem like the heinous and demonrat PC, yet what do you gain by being nasty?


If you understood my comment on this subject to be nasty then you've got more troubles than you've exposed. And I might consider you look at your own comment and and assess how kind you are. Spirited debate is stimulating. This subject was all about answering a question you specifically asked about and asked for return comments. If you don't like what you read then don't ask but I assure you that I think more of you than to tell you only what you want to hear. Next time if you want comments supporting only your predetermined opinion I might suggest you state you question as such.

| Reply
Mar 30, 2019 23:45:55   #
karpenter Loc: Headin' Fer Da Hills !!
 
"Mostly that it can become a slippery slope and, like the presence of abortion, might inculcate a decrease in the sacredness of life."

The Slippery Slope Only Slides One Way
And It Can't Be Turned Back

| Reply
Mar 31, 2019 01:05:52   #
Seth
 
rumitoid wrote:
I am highly prejudice on this issue. Both my mother and sister died in agony for an extended period of time from cancer. If either had asked for help to the other side, I would have helped, though never suggest it. (As I know now, a peaceful extra dose of morphine would have done it.) But we were very Catholic. It was thought to be murder. And there was also the belief that God would find it in his mercy for a cure. I guess more than it would be murder as a deterrent, turning one's back on hope and God's power was a more effective argument.

In 1989, I went for a Hospice Degree. What I learned over the next four years, both in class and in hospitals, made me advocate for assisted suicide, even in cases of Alzheimer. But I am still not totally comfortable with my belief. Mostly that it can become a slippery slope and, like the presence of abortion, might inculcate a decrease in the sacredness of life. Or not. Maybe increase it.

If you were in extreme agony and told there was no possible cure, your family forced to see you tortured day after day after day and unable to help, what would you do and why?
I am highly prejudice on this issue. Both my mothe... (show quote)


My mother was a lung cancer patient, and she passed away due to complications from a new kind of chemotherapy.

She went into a coma -- she had a "do not resuscitate" order, so I had to let her spend her last ten days of life at a hospice on pain meds so she wouldn't suffer. She never regained consciousness.

It was a painful ten days for me, but I had to respect her wishes.

However, I wouldn't have allowed anyone to end her life in a premeditated manner, I would have killed them first, but that's just me.

I suppose if there was profound suffering that couldn't be relieved with pain medication and the doctors were 100% positive that her death was imminent, and it was what she wanted, I might have thought differently.

It would be an extremely tough call.

| Reply
Mar 31, 2019 02:58:39   #
zombinis3 Loc: Southwest
 
rumitoid wrote:
I am highly prejudice on this issue. Both my mother and sister died in agony for an extended period of time from cancer. If either had asked for help to the other side, I would have helped, though never suggest it. (As I know now, a peaceful extra dose of morphine would have done it.) But we were very Catholic. It was thought to be murder. And there was also the belief that God would find it in his mercy for a cure. I guess more than it would be murder as a deterrent, turning one's back on hope and God's power was a more effective argument.

In 1989, I went for a Hospice Degree. What I learned over the next four years, both in class and in hospitals, made me advocate for assisted suicide, even in cases of Alzheimer. But I am still not totally comfortable with my belief. Mostly that it can become a slippery slope and, like the presence of abortion, might inculcate a decrease in the sacredness of life. Or not. Maybe increase it.

If you were in extreme agony and told there was no possible cure, your family forced to see you tortured day after day after day and unable to help, what would you do and why?
I am highly prejudice on this issue. Both my mothe... (show quote)


As for me I believe in quailty of life not quantity. The one person who should be allowed to make this decision is the person who is going to suffer. The
belief that the pain you are going through is to prove you believe is based on how you have been taught by the preacher.

| Reply
Mar 31, 2019 07:08:25   #
Texas Truth Loc: Behind Enemy Lines
 
All you people have done an excellent job of discussing one of the most controversial and intriguing questions that be Holdings us all. As you have all discussed DNR do not resuscitate is a decision made by the person suffering. Is this decision a mistake and should the doctors continue to try to say the person because all life is precious. But let's say you had a heart attack due to AFib. So after this happens you decide to take an aspirin a day to prevent another episode. Question? If you take an aspirin a day as part of your regimen are you interfering with the Lord's plans for you? Trying to escape death per se. Does the Lord have a calendar with our date of birth and a date of passing? Are we allowed to intervene to make a decision so we may live a second longer or that we may leave a second earlier? We can discuss this every second of every day for the rest of our lives and never come up with an answer. Or we'll come up with many answers. Is it true in a good Christians heart to be compelled to fight for your own life all the way up to the last second or to be able to make the decision to lay down and rest because you've earned a good rest due to your good fight. If you can no longer participate in the good fight physically you can still participate by sharing wisdom with younger people hoping they will hear words of wisdom and change their life early and live a better life through Christ. We can only try to plant that little mustard seed and when it grows into a person it becomes the main route of life and truth and wisdom. I think the most important and compelling thing a person can do is to accept Christ as Lord and savior and champion and live your life through him and to love him as he loves you. We cannot understand the overwhelming love Jesus has for us. I watched both my parents suffered to the end keeping and holding my faith in Jesus. My mom went first. And then my dad went due to complications not from the COPD but by carelessness due to the caregivers. My dad asked 4 DNR. I had to respect his decision and was there to last moment. I knew it was coming and was deep in prayer and I asked Jesus for a sign and upon the moment of my Dad's passing I felt and I believe this to be true with every fiber in my heart and mind that the Christ came and took my dad and then they walked right through my body and upon that moment I could feel what my dad was feeling on the other side of the Veil. It was the most overwhelming feeling of love and comfort I ever experienced at any point in my life and I knew my dad was okay. The feeling was there for 2 seconds but felt like an eternity. The Christ took away all my pain my suffering my agony my anxiety all melted in the twinkling of an eye. This only reinforced my true belief and my love for the Christ. I know we could caught bickering with each other here on the political Plaza. I believe the word political needs to be left out of critical thinking. What is right is right what is wrong is wrong it's all black and white. We have argued in the past and insult each other which is what Satan wants us to do. King of deception and lies cast aside and left behind and no longer exists in the heart of a good Christian. I pray and wish that all good things will come to all you good people and that all you good people can forgive each other as the Lord would ask. Remember what Jesus said, when you relieve another man of his burden you help yourself in ways you do not know. I do anything and everything I can to help my fellow man. My experience in pain management due to my lower back issues which I think cannot be reversed all I can do is share my wisdom and help those do not know what to do at a point in time in their life and only to help them make their own decision and to treat them as I would treat a family member with love and compassion as the Christ would. It is always darkest just before the dawn. The Christ is real. He is the real deal in the greatest thing that's happened in the history of man. Notice how our leaders try to drive a wedge between us in him. Jesus drove the Romans crazy and feared him because he had no fear in them. Christ be with you all in all of your days. And all of God's children said Amen!

| Reply
Mar 31, 2019 08:10:33   #
Rose42
 
Texas Truth wrote:
All you people have done an excellent job of discussing one of the most controversial and intriguing questions that be Holdings us all. As you have all discussed DNR do not resuscitate is a decision made by the person suffering. Is this decision a mistake and should the doctors continue to try to say the person because all life is precious. But let's say you had a heart attack due to AFib. So after this happens you decide to take an aspirin a day to prevent another episode. Question? If you take an aspirin a day as part of your regimen are you interfering with the Lord's plans for you? Trying to escape death per se. Does the Lord have a calendar with our date of birth and a date of passing? Are we allowed to intervene to make a decision so we may live a second longer or that we may leave a second earlier? We can discuss this every second of every day for the rest of our lives and never come up with an answer. Or we'll come up with many answers. Is it true in a good Christians heart to be compelled to fight for your own life all the way up to the last second or to be able to make the decision to lay down and rest because you've earned a good rest due to your good fight. If you can no longer participate in the good fight physically you can still participate by sharing wisdom with younger people hoping they will hear words of wisdom and change their life early and live a better life through Christ. We can only try to plant that little mustard seed and when it grows into a person it becomes the main route of life and truth and wisdom. I think the most important and compelling thing a person can do is to accept Christ as Lord and savior and champion and live your life through him and to love him as he loves you. We cannot understand the overwhelming love Jesus has for us. I watched both my parents suffered to the end keeping and holding my faith in Jesus. My mom went first. And then my dad went due to complications not from the COPD but by carelessness due to the caregivers. My dad asked 4 DNR. I had to respect his decision and was there to last moment. I knew it was coming and was deep in prayer and I asked Jesus for a sign and upon the moment of my Dad's passing I felt and I believe this to be true with every fiber in my heart and mind that the Christ came and took my dad and then they walked right through my body and upon that moment I could feel what my dad was feeling on the other side of the Veil. It was the most overwhelming feeling of love and comfort I ever experienced at any point in my life and I knew my dad was okay. The feeling was there for 2 seconds but felt like an eternity. The Christ took away all my pain my suffering my agony my anxiety all melted in the twinkling of an eye. This only reinforced my true belief and my love for the Christ. I know we could caught bickering with each other here on the political Plaza. I believe the word political needs to be left out of critical thinking. What is right is right what is wrong is wrong it's all black and white. We have argued in the past and insult each other which is what Satan wants us to do. King of deception and lies cast aside and left behind and no longer exists in the heart of a good Christian. I pray and wish that all good things will come to all you good people and that all you good people can forgive each other as the Lord would ask. Remember what Jesus said, when you relieve another man of his burden you help yourself in ways you do not know. I do anything and everything I can to help my fellow man. My experience in pain management due to my lower back issues which I think cannot be reversed all I can do is share my wisdom and help those do not know what to do at a point in time in their life and only to help them make their own decision and to treat them as I would treat a family member with love and compassion as the Christ would. It is always darkest just before the dawn. The Christ is real. He is the real deal in the greatest thing that's happened in the history of man. Notice how our leaders try to drive a wedge between us in him. Jesus drove the Romans crazy and feared him because he had no fear in them. Christ be with you all in all of your days. And all of God's children said Amen!
All you people have done an excellent job of discu... (show quote)


Very well put.
And Amen

| Reply
Mar 31, 2019 08:32:41   #
Highlander66 Loc: Illinois
 
rumitoid wrote:
I am highly prejudice on this issue. Both my mother and sister died in agony for an extended period of time from cancer. If either had asked for help to the other side, I would have helped, though never suggest it. (As I know now, a peaceful extra dose of morphine would have done it.) But we were very Catholic. It was thought to be murder. And there was also the belief that God would find it in his mercy for a cure. I guess more than it would be murder as a deterrent, turning one's back on hope and God's power was a more effective argument.

In 1989, I went for a Hospice Degree. What I learned over the next four years, both in class and in hospitals, made me advocate for assisted suicide, even in cases of Alzheimer. But I am still not totally comfortable with my belief. Mostly that it can become a slippery slope and, like the presence of abortion, might inculcate a decrease in the sacredness of life. Or not. Maybe increase it.

If you were in extreme agony and told there was no possible cure, your family forced to see you tortured day after day after day and unable to help, what would you do and why?
I am highly prejudice on this issue. Both my mothe... (show quote)


I’ve thought about this for years due to events that have occurred in my own family. I speak for no one but myself on this. I feel it should be available as an option, yes. After watching and caring for a loved member of my (now ex) wife’s family fade into a skeletal shell of a once strong man, whose only future was waiting until he could no longer swallow and would drown in his own saliva, then yes given the opportunity to pass with dignity would have been a much preferable option. I’m sorry to hear about any issues, Rumi. I don’t post a lot on here but I read all the postings daily and while I don’t agree with all your stances, I do appreciate your passion and your willingness to defend your position. I wish you well.

| Reply
Mar 31, 2019 08:38:21   #
Highlander66 Loc: Illinois
 
As a note, the man I mentioned above had ALS which basically disconnects your brain from your body, making it so you no longer can control your limbs, progressing to more basic functions. As I mentioned, you eventually lose the ability to intentionally swallow. The living hell part, is your brain is fully alert and functional throughout the process so you are trapped in your own body completely helpless and knowing what is happening and how you are going to die. It’s a rough gig that I wouldn’t wish on anyone

| Reply
Mar 31, 2019 08:43:55   #
Texas Truth Loc: Behind Enemy Lines
 
Rose42 wrote:
Very well put.
And Amen


Speaking only from the heart. Listening to you tells me your heart and mind are in the right place. We have all been given the Power of Choice through God that little Mustard Seed of power. And God is testing us to see what we do with that power of life. Are we responsible? Yes for all our decisions. Every thought intention and deeds. On Bended Knee till we speak again. Thank God for Jesus and his message. Amen

| Reply
Mar 31, 2019 08:47:12   #
Texas Truth Loc: Behind Enemy Lines
 
Highlander66 wrote:
As a note, the man I mentioned above had ALS which basically disconnects your brain from your body, making it so you no longer can control your limbs, progressing to more basic functions. As I mentioned, you eventually lose the ability to intentionally swallow. The living hell part, is your brain is fully alert and functional throughout the process so you are trapped in your own body completely helpless and knowing what is happening and how you are going to die. It’s a rough gig that I wouldn’t wish on anyone
As a note, the man I mentioned above had ALS which... (show quote)


You know what it is like to carry the cross. May God bless you and your families. Thank you for sharing.

| Reply
Mar 31, 2019 08:48:09   #
Trilliby
 
Under certain circumstances an individual has the right to opt for it. I believe where there's life there's hope, but obviously there are times when mercy must be exercised.

| Reply
Mar 31, 2019 09:57:42   #
Larry the Legend Loc: Not hiding in Milton
 
rumitoid wrote:
I am highly prejudice on this issue. Both my mother and sister died in agony for an extended period of time from cancer. If either had asked for help to the other side, I would have helped, though never suggest it. (As I know now, a peaceful extra dose of morphine would have done it.) But we were very Catholic. It was thought to be murder. And there was also the belief that God would find it in his mercy for a cure. I guess more than it would be murder as a deterrent, turning one's back on hope and God's power was a more effective argument.

In 1989, I went for a Hospice Degree. What I learned over the next four years, both in class and in hospitals, made me advocate for assisted suicide, even in cases of Alzheimer. But I am still not totally comfortable with my belief. Mostly that it can become a slippery slope and, like the presence of abortion, might inculcate a decrease in the sacredness of life. Or not. Maybe increase it.

If you were in extreme agony and told there was no possible cure, your family forced to see you tortured day after day after day and unable to help, what would you do and why?
I am highly prejudice on this issue. Both my mothe... (show quote)


Take the bullet, put it in the pistol and leave it within reach. Walk out the door and wait for a loud bang. If one is not forthcoming, you have your answer.

| Reply
Mar 31, 2019 12:24:52   #
rumitoid
 
padremike wrote:
If you understood my comment on this subject to be nasty then you've got more troubles than you've exposed. And I might consider you look at your own comment and and assess how kind you are. Spirited debate is stimulating. This subject was all about answering a question you specifically asked about and asked for return comments. If you don't like what you read then don't ask but I assure you that I think more of you than to tell you only what you want to hear. Next time if you want comments supporting only your predetermined opinion I might suggest you state you question as such.
If you understood my comment on this subject to be... (show quote)


No, I was wrong. Your answers have been civil and spirited. Thank you. I went back over your responses and saw that I misunderstood two of your comments. My apologies.

| Reply
Mar 31, 2019 12:44:52   #
padremike Loc: Phenix City, Al
 
rumitoid wrote:
No, I was wrong. Your answers have been civil and spirited. Thank you. I went back over your responses and saw that I misunderstood two of your comments. My apologies.


Graciously accepted.

| Reply
Page: <<prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 next>>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
OnePoliticalPlaza.com - Forum
Copyright 2012-2020 IDF International Technologies, Inc.