One Political PlazaSM - Home of politics
on this day
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Page: 1 2 3 next>>
Mar 13, 2019 11:56:24   #
badbobby (a regular here)
 
1942: The U.S. Army begins training dogs for the "K-9 Corps."

2013: Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio is elected to lead the Catholic Church and chooses the name Pope Francis.

| Reply
Mar 13, 2019 13:48:34   #
slatten49 (a regular here)
 
Also, on March 13, 1836...THIS DAY IN HISTORY, less than a week after the disastrous defeat of Texas rebels at the Alamo, the newly commissioned Texan General Sam Houston begins a series of strategic retreats to buy time to train his ill-prepared army.

Revolutionary Texans had only formally announced their independence from Mexico 11 days earlier. On March 6, 1836, the separatists chose Sam Houston to be the commander-in-chief of the revolutionary army. Houston immediately departed for Gonzales, Texas, where the main force of the revolutionary army was stationed. When he arrived, he found that the Texan army consisted of 374 poorly dressed and ill-equipped men. Most had no guns or military experience, and they had only two days of rations.

Houston had little time to dwell on the situation, because he learned that the Mexican general Santa Anna was staging a siege of the Alamo in San Antonio. Before Houston could prepare his troops to rush to aid the defenders, however, word arrived that Santa Anna had wiped them out on March 6. Scouts reported that Santa Anna’s troops were heading east toward Gonzales. Unprepared to confront the Mexican army with his poorly trained force, Houston began a series of strategic retreats designed to give him enough time to whip his army into fighting shape.

Houston’s decision to retreat won him little but scorn from the Texas rebels. His troops and officers were eager to engage the Mexicans, and they chafed at Houston’s insistence on learning proper field maneuvers. Houston wisely continued to organize, train, and equip his troops so they would be prepared to meet Santa Anna’s army. Finally, after nearly a month of falling back, Houston ordered his men to turn around and head south to meet Santa Anna’s forces.

On April 21, Houston led his 783 troops in an attack on Santa Anna’s force of nearly twice that number near the confluence of Buffalo Bayou and the San Jacinto River. With the famous cry, “Remember the Alamo,” the Texans stormed the surprised Mexican forces. After a brief attempt at defense, the Mexican soldiers broke into a disorganized retreat, allowing the Texans to isolate and slaughter them. In a stunning victory, Houston’s army succeeded in killing or capturing nearly the entire Mexican force, including General Santa Anna, who was taken prisoner. Only two Texans were killed and 30 wounded.

Fearful of execution, Santa Anna signed an order calling for the immediate withdrawal of all Mexican troops from Texas soil. The Mexicans never again seriously threatened the independence of the Lone Star Republic.

| Reply
Mar 13, 2019 14:40:35   #
badbobby (a regular here)
 
slatten49 wrote:
Also, on March 13, 1836...THIS DAY IN HISTORY, less than a week after the disastrous defeat of Texas rebels at the Alamo, the newly commissioned Texan General Sam Houston begins a series of strategic retreats to buy time to train his ill-prepared army.

Revolutionary Texans had only formally announced their independence from Mexico 11 days earlier. On March 6, 1836, the separatists chose Sam Houston to be the commander-in-chief of the revolutionary army. Houston immediately departed for Gonzales, Texas, where the main force of the revolutionary army was stationed. When he arrived, he found that the Texan army consisted of 374 poorly dressed and ill-equipped men. Most had no guns or military experience, and they had only two days of rations.

Houston had little time to dwell on the situation, because he learned that the Mexican general Santa Anna was staging a siege of the Alamo in San Antonio. Before Houston could prepare his troops to rush to aid the defenders, however, word arrived that Santa Anna had wiped them out on March 6. Scouts reported that Santa Anna’s troops were heading east toward Gonzales. Unprepared to confront the Mexican army with his poorly trained force, Houston began a series of strategic retreats designed to give him enough time to whip his army into fighting shape.

Houston’s decision to retreat won him little but scorn from the Texas rebels. His troops and officers were eager to engage the Mexicans, and they chafed at Houston’s insistence on learning proper field maneuvers. Houston wisely continued to organize, train, and equip his troops so they would be prepared to meet Santa Anna’s army. Finally, after nearly a month of falling back, Houston ordered his men to turn around and head south to meet Santa Anna’s forces.

On April 21, Houston led his 783 troops in an attack on Santa Anna’s force of nearly twice that number near the confluence of Buffalo Bayou and the San Jacinto River. With the famous cry, “Remember the Alamo,” the Texans stormed the surprised Mexican forces. After a brief attempt at defense, the Mexican soldiers broke into a disorganized retreat, allowing the Texans to isolate and slaughter them. In a stunning victory, Houston’s army succeeded in killing or capturing nearly the entire Mexican force, including General Santa Anna, who was taken prisoner. Only two Texans were killed and 30 wounded.

Fearful of execution, Santa Anna signed an order calling for the immediate withdrawal of all Mexican troops from Texas soil. The Mexicans never again seriously threatened the independence of the Lone Star Republic.
Also, on March 13, 1836...THIS DAY IN HISTORY, les... (show quote)

Wow
talk about stealin a post
but what could I expect from a dastardly Marine
guess I'll have to forgive him though
we're good friends( be better friends iff'n he would pay me the IOUs he owes me)


| Reply
Mar 13, 2019 14:44:24   #
slatten49 (a regular here)
 
badbobby wrote:
Wow
talk about stealin a post
but what could I expect from a dastardly Marine
guess I'll have to forgive him though
we're good friends( be better friends iff'n he would pay me the IOUs he owes me)

Wow br talk about stealin a post br but what could... (show quote)

Well, as a fellow Texan, I couldn't let such info go unannounced. And, BTW, it is you who owes mucho dinero to moi

How's that for mixing three languages in one sentence

| Reply
Mar 13, 2019 15:03:18   #
badbobby (a regular here)
 
slatten49 wrote:
Well, as a fellow Texan, I couldn't let such info go unannounced. And, BTW, it is you who owes mucho dinero to moi

How's that for mixing three languages in one sentence
img src="https://static.onepoliticalplaza.com/ima... (show quote)


you are definitely a linguist Slat


among other things

| Reply
Mar 13, 2019 15:24:50   #
slatten49 (a regular here)
 
badbobby wrote:
you are definitely a linguist Slat

among other things


Yes, I definitely love linguini and various other Italian dishes.

| Reply
Mar 13, 2019 15:46:19   #
badbobby (a regular here)
 
slatten49 wrote:
Yes, I definitely love linguini and various other Italian dishes.


and meat,potatoes,tomatoes,celery,squash,corn,soup,cake,pie,ice cream
and anything else that will fit in that cavernous mouth
or
that is within your reach

| Reply
Mar 13, 2019 16:16:56   #
slatten49 (a regular here)
 
badbobby wrote:
and meat,potatoes,tomatoes,celery,squash,corn,soup,cake,pie,ice cream
and anything else that will fit in that cavernous mouth
or
that is within your reach

With a nod and an apology to Will Rogers: I never met a meal I didn't like.

| Reply
Mar 13, 2019 17:21:22   #
badbobby (a regular here)
 
slatten49 wrote:
With a nod and an apology to Will Rogers: I never met a meal I didn't like.


so you admit to bein glutenous

| Reply
Mar 13, 2019 18:03:12   #
slatten49 (a regular here)
 
badbobby wrote:
so you admit to bein glutenous

Mayhaps.

| Reply
Mar 13, 2019 18:50:59   #
bahmer (a regular here)
 
badbobby wrote:
1942: The U.S. Army begins training dogs for the "K-9 Corps."

2013: Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio is elected to lead the Catholic Church and chooses the name Pope Francis.


Gee I missed the start of the K-9 corps. but I was around for Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio being elected to become Pope Francis although not being Roman Catholic I could have cared less.

| Reply
Mar 13, 2019 19:29:29   #
badbobby (a regular here)
 
bahmer wrote:
Gee I missed the start of the K-9 corps. but I was around for Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio being elected to become Pope Francis although not being Roman Catholic I could have cared less.


okay
next time I won't mention the Pope


| Reply
Mar 13, 2019 20:32:05   #
slatten49 (a regular here)
 
badbobby wrote:
okay
next time I won't mention the Pope


If you do, you stand to lose your entire fan base: Bahmer.

| Reply
Mar 14, 2019 09:14:32   #
Wonttakeitanymore (a regular here)
 
Where’s Sam Houston when u need em? Cally could sure use his strategy’s

| Reply
Mar 14, 2019 09:52:31   #
Peewee (a regular here)
 
badbobby wrote:
1942: The U.S. Army begins training dogs for the "K-9 Corps."

2013: Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio is elected to lead the Catholic Church and chooses the name Pope Francis.


The Air Force had to take over the K-9 corps when dogs needed to do more than bite and track. Kidding one of my instructors was Army. Five classmates were Army and one Marine the rest were Air Force. Three types of training, Sentry, Patrol, and Narcotics. Sentry K-9s are trained to attack, bite and hold on but they also patrol and track. Patrol K-9s, attack but can be called off if offender complies before he gets bit, can patrol and track. Narcotic K-9s are patrol K-9s with additional training to detect most drugs unless they are a miniature breed used in small spaces. If you've ever carried an 80 pound K-9 up the ladder of a C-5 airplane you'd understand the need for smaller dogs. Plus the public is less fearful of them. Mostly used in airports. Great memories!

| Reply
Page: 1 2 3 next>>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
OnePoliticalPlaza.com - Forum
Copyright 2012-2019 IDF International Technologies, Inc.