One Political PlazaSM - Home of politics
Fox News “strongly condemns” comments made by Jeanine Pirro linking Rep. Ilhan Omar’s practice of wearing a hijab to Sharia law: do you?
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Page: 1 2 3 next>>
Mar 12, 2019 17:54:20   #
rumitoid (a regular here)
 
Jeanine Pirro says she was just starting a debate when she asked: “Think about it: Omar wears a hijab. Is her adherence to this Islamic doctrine indicative of her adherence to Sharia law, which in itself is antithetical to the United States Constitution?” It seems like a fair question, despite what motive I may attribute to it, and I actually did not get Fox News' fierce reaction to it. It seems that the 1st Amendment covers her, er, cover, yet can Omar defend and protect the Constitution by her faith?

What do you think?

| Reply
Mar 12, 2019 18:00:20   #
bahmer (a regular here)
 
rumitoid wrote:
Jeanine Pirro says she was just starting a debate when she asked: “Think about it: Omar wears a hijab. Is her adherence to this Islamic doctrine indicative of her adherence to Sharia law, which in itself is antithetical to the United States Constitution?” It seems like a fair question, despite what motive I may attribute to it, and I actually did not get Fox News' fierce reaction to it. It seems that the 1st Amendment covers her, er, cover, yet can Omar defend and protect the Constitution by her faith?

What do you think?
Jeanine Pirro says she was just starting a debate ... (show quote)


No as far as I know the Islam religion if you want to call it that has sworn to destroy Israel and the Jews and they are also the ones that are chanting death to America it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out where she is coming from and her political viewpoints.

| Reply
Mar 12, 2019 18:01:08   #
Gatsby (a regular here)
 
rumitoid wrote:
Jeanine Pirro says she was just starting a debate when she asked: “Think about it: Omar wears a hijab. Is her adherence to this Islamic doctrine indicative of her adherence to Sharia law, which in itself is antithetical to the United States Constitution?” It seems like a fair question, despite what motive I may attribute to it, and I actually did not get Fox News' fierce reaction to it. It seems that the 1st Amendment covers her, er, cover, yet can Omar defend and protect the Constitution by her faith?

What do you think?
Jeanine Pirro says she was just starting a debate ... (show quote)


I think that "Omar" should wear a muzzle.

| Reply
Mar 12, 2019 18:05:09   #
bahmer (a regular here)
 
Gatsby wrote:
I think that "Omar" should wear a muzzle.


Amen and Amen

| Reply
Mar 12, 2019 18:12:53   #
proud republican (a regular here)
 
Gatsby wrote:
I think that "Omar" should wear a muzzle.



| Reply
Mar 12, 2019 18:39:43   #
Pennylynn (a regular here)
 
rumitoid wrote:
Jeanine Pirro says she was just starting a debate when she asked: “Think about it: Omar wears a hijab. Is her adherence to this Islamic doctrine indicative of her adherence to Sharia law, which in itself is antithetical to the United States Constitution?” It seems like a fair question, despite what motive I may attribute to it, and I actually did not get Fox News' fierce reaction to it. It seems that the 1st Amendment covers her, er, cover, yet can Omar defend and protect the Constitution by her faith?

What do you think?
Jeanine Pirro says she was just starting a debate ... (show quote)


Actually, there is a rule dating back to 1837 that forbids headgear, to include hats, Kippah, and scarves. "Every member shall remain uncovered during the sessions of the House." Currently Omar wears only a hijab, but changing the dress code would allow all manner of religious distinction. Congress is already divided..... do we need to further complicate debates by interjecting religious biases? Congress' focus should not be on religious distinctions but rather on the need of US citizens. My opinion, keep the rules in place and enforce them......

| Reply
Mar 12, 2019 18:46:19   #
bahmer (a regular here)
 
Pennylynn wrote:
Actually, there is a rule dating back to 1837 that forbids headgear, to include hats, Kippah, and scarves. "Every member shall remain uncovered during the sessions of the House." Currently Omar wears only a hijab, but changing the dress code would allow all manner of religious distinction. Congress is already divided..... do we need to further complicate debates by interjecting religious biases? Congress' focus should not be on religious distinctions but rather on the need of US citizens. My opinion, keep the rules in place and enforce them......
Actually, there is a rule dating back to 1837 that... (show quote)


Amen and Amen

| Reply
Mar 12, 2019 18:59:23   #
Carol Kelly (a regular here)
 
bahmer wrote:
No as far as I know the Islam religion if you want to call it that has sworn to destroy Israel and the Jews and they are also the ones that are chanting death to America it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out where she is coming from and her political viewpoints.


Precisely. Well said, Bahmer, she wasn’t even sworn in on the Holy Bible. Muslims have no place in our government. They’re frauds. Tlaib wasn’t ev3n a resident of the district she ran in. Her own father called her out. And, well, we all know how AOC came to be.

| Reply
Mar 12, 2019 19:03:51   #
Carol Kelly (a regular here)
 
Pennylynn wrote:
Actually, there is a rule dating back to 1837 that forbids headgear, to include hats, Kippah, and scarves. "Every member shall remain uncovered during the sessions of the House." Currently Omar wears only a hijab, but changing the dress code would allow all manner of religious distinction. Congress is already divided..... do we need to further complicate debates by interjecting religious biases? Congress' focus should not be on religious distinctions but rather on the need of US citizens. My opinion, keep the rules in place and enforce them......
Actually, there is a rule dating back to 1837 that... (show quote)


ENFORCE the laws. Don’t give in to blackmail. There are Congressmen calling for impeachment of Trump because he’s “unfit”. These same people are unfit, in my opinion, to be Congressional Representatives.

| Reply
Mar 12, 2019 19:10:45   #
rumitoid (a regular here)
 
Pennylynn wrote:
Actually, there is a rule dating back to 1837 that forbids headgear, to include hats, Kippah, and scarves. "Every member shall remain uncovered during the sessions of the House." Currently Omar wears only a hijab, but changing the dress code would allow all manner of religious distinction. Congress is already divided..... do we need to further complicate debates by interjecting religious biases? Congress' focus should not be on religious distinctions but rather on the need of US citizens. My opinion, keep the rules in place and enforce them......
Actually, there is a rule dating back to 1837 that... (show quote)


I would have to agree, however reluctantly. If the GOP came out in MAGA hats at each session, things might get a bit squirrely. What would be the response? No banners or placards in the chambers. A hijab is just that! The question of the 1st Amendment does not exactly cover (pun intended) this display, or it seems to me. Whatever a representatives personal values and beliefs, in Congress it is to defend and protect the Constitution and all those people in their district, concentrated on those particulars. Equality.

| Reply
Mar 12, 2019 19:36:58   #
permafrost (a regular here)
 
Carol Kelly wrote:
Precisely. Well said, Bahmer, she wasn’t even sworn in on the Holy Bible. Muslims have no place in our government. They’re frauds. Tlaib wasn’t ev3n a resident of the district she ran in. Her own father called her out. And, well, we all know how AOC came to be.




What in the world does AOC have to do with your rant about Muslims??



| Reply
Mar 12, 2019 19:59:31   #
Pennylynn (a regular here)
 
rumitoid wrote:
I would have to agree, however reluctantly. If the GOP came out in MAGA hats at each session, things might get a bit squirrely. What would be the response? No banners or placards in the chambers. A hijab is just that! The question of the 1st Amendment does not exactly cover (pun intended) this display, or it seems to me. Whatever a representatives personal values and beliefs, in Congress it is to defend and protect the Constitution and all those people in their district, concentrated on those particulars. Equality.
I would have to agree, however reluctantly. If the... (show quote)


The hijab is an individual choice in fashion, but it is also an expression of a religious belief. Whether intended or not, a woman wearing a hijab announces her religion before it announces her position, in this case as a congresswoman.

The Supreme Court has wrestled for years over where to draw the constitutional boundaries for religious speech and religious displays. The question lies at the intersection of several First Amendment doctrines: free speech, which is at its most protective in a public forum; the free exercise of religion, and the prohibition against a government "establishment" of religion through favoring or endorsing a particular religious message. Would changing the long standing rule be seen as favoring Islam if they do not allow clerical clothing such as cassocks, and religious habit, robes, or a Jewish kippah and tallit?

| Reply
Mar 12, 2019 20:18:34   #
rumitoid (a regular here)
 
Pennylynn wrote:
The hijab is an individual choice in fashion, but it is also an expression of a religious belief. Whether intended or not, a woman wearing a hijab announces her religion before it announces her position, in this case as a congresswoman.

The Supreme Court has wrestled for years over where to draw the constitutional boundaries for religious speech and religious displays. The question lies at the intersection of several First Amendment doctrines: free speech, which is at its most protective in a public forum; the free exercise of religion, and the prohibition against a government "establishment" of religion through favoring or endorsing a particular religious message. Would changing the long standing rule be seen as favoring Islam if they do not allow clerical clothing such as cassocks, and religious habit, robes, or a Jewish kippah and tallit?
The hijab is an individual choice in fashion, but ... (show quote)


The question I feel is complex and not easily reached by mandating some rules. I have no clear answer. It seems both right and wrong to me to allow religiously affiliated clothing in Congress. The members are representing we the people, which can be a pro and con argument against these show of faith. How they are able to function as representing and defending the Constitution seems the only point. Maybe. What they wear can cause alarm or questions in the halls. More thought is needed.

| Reply
Mar 12, 2019 20:52:31   #
Blade_Runner (a regular here)
 
permafrost wrote:
What in the world does AOC have to do with your rant about Muslims??
AOC loves her Muslim sisters and all they stand for. I thought everyone knew that.

.
AOC's "SQUAD"
AOC's "SQUAD"...

| Reply
Mar 12, 2019 20:55:32   #
Canuckus Deploracus (a regular here)
 
rumitoid wrote:
Jeanine Pirro says she was just starting a debate when she asked: “Think about it: Omar wears a hijab. Is her adherence to this Islamic doctrine indicative of her adherence to Sharia law, which in itself is antithetical to the United States Constitution?” It seems like a fair question, despite what motive I may attribute to it, and I actually did not get Fox News' fierce reaction to it. It seems that the 1st Amendment covers her, er, cover, yet can Omar defend and protect the Constitution by her faith?

What do you think?
Jeanine Pirro says she was just starting a debate ... (show quote)


There should be one unified dress code for congress...
It is perfectly fine for a woman to go out in public without the hijab, Muslim women in many countries do...
She was aware of the regulations befote shevran for office...
End of story... (in my opinion)

| Reply
Page: 1 2 3 next>>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
OnePoliticalPlaza.com - Forum
Copyright 2012-2019 IDF International Technologies, Inc.