One Political PlazaSM - Home of politics
One Of The Best Solutions That Would Eliminate Huge Numbers Of Abortions
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Page: 1 2 3 next>>
Feb 10, 2019 16:32:06   #
woodguru (a regular here)
 
The morning after pill...

I don't get how anyone who is against abortion, the idea of killing a fetus...can even equate the idea of preventing a pregnancy at this stage with that.

Not only would this mean tens of thousands less abortions, but thousands less unwanted pregnancies that end up being a burden to society in terms of welfare.

| Reply
Feb 10, 2019 16:35:29   #
tommsteyer (a regular here)
 
and men could stop raping women too.

| Reply
Feb 10, 2019 16:35:47   #
ACP45 (a regular here)
 
woodguru wrote:
The morning after pill...

I don't get how anyone who is against abortion, the idea of killing a fetus...can even equate the idea of preventing a pregnancy at this stage with that.

Not only would this mean tens of thousands less abortions, but thousands less unwanted pregnancies that end up being a burden to society in terms of welfare.


It is my understanding that this pill exists already. Is that so, and if so, why do women who do not want to get pregnant not use it now?

| Reply
Feb 10, 2019 17:47:47   #
bahmer (a regular here)
 
woodguru wrote:
The morning after pill...

I don't get how anyone who is against abortion, the idea of killing a fetus...can even equate the idea of preventing a pregnancy at this stage with that.

Not only would this mean tens of thousands less abortions, but thousands less unwanted pregnancies that end up being a burden to society in terms of welfare.


Back in my generation they used the Aspirin method and the worked pretty well. But then the men respected women in those days and when she said no it was no indeed. The aspirin was held between the knees of the female and it prevented them from getting pregnant.

| Reply
Feb 10, 2019 18:38:38   #
maryjane (a regular here)
 
ACP45 wrote:
It is my understanding that this pill exists already. Is that so, and if so, why do women who do not want to get pregnant not use it now?


The morning after pill has been available for years. And too many irresponsible women today.

| Reply
Feb 10, 2019 18:43:14   #
bahmer (a regular here)
 
maryjane wrote:
The morning after pill has been available for years. And too many irresponsible women today.


I thought that I read that the cost of the morning after pill is around $30.00 to $60.00 depending on your insurance and other factors but still way cheaper than an abortion.

| Reply
Feb 10, 2019 19:08:36   #
Singularity (a regular here)
 
ACP45 wrote:
It is my understanding that this pill exists already. Is that so, and if so, why do women who do not want to get pregnant not use it now?


Because of the exact method by which the medication works. Many who believe that life begins at conception consider the morning after pill to be an abortifacient. Some also have the same objection to lo dose birth control pills.

This is because pregnancy is prevented by two primary methods . First, if the body's regulatory hormonal chemistry is tricked and the ovaries do not produce an egg waiting to be fertilized there can be no pregnancy for that cycle.

Secondarily, similarly to the primary action of the morning after pill, many birth control pills cause the lining of the uterus to be made unreceptive to implantation by the unlikely egg that might be occasionally produced,

which might still have been fertilized and thus be a human child, but which will die without a uterine lining to inplant within.

Some feel that using drugs to make one's uterus so inhospitable to that rare occasional tiny blastocyst so that it wanders off and dies is murder.

Putting that into perspective, about a third of all the human ova that become fertilized, abort themselves naturally, anyway, without any contraceptive action, consent, knowledge or awareness of their parents. The uterus is a tricky and cantankerous organ. The world is a wide, wild place.

| Reply
Feb 10, 2019 21:15:09   #
2bltap
 
How about crossing the legs and the keeping the zipper up? Of course it's human nature to be sexual but there has already been products like rubbers and such. Listen I'm no prude by any stretch of the imagination but the idea that pregnancy seems to be a right with the ability to just kill the child rather then putting it up for adoption according to the por choice is just wrong on so many levels. Incest and or rape along with the PHYSICAL WELL BEING OF THE Mother Is one thing all together. But not even trying to protect ones self from impregnation is plain fricken stupid!!!!!

| Reply
Feb 11, 2019 01:17:16   #
PeterS (a regular here)
 
2bltap wrote:
How about crossing the legs and the keeping the zipper up? Of course it's human nature to be sexual but there has already been products like rubbers and such. Listen I'm no prude by any stretch of the imagination but the idea that pregnancy seems to be a right with the ability to just kill the child rather then putting it up for adoption according to the por choice is just wrong on so many levels. Incest and or rape along with the PHYSICAL WELL BEING OF THE Mother Is one thing all together. But not even trying to protect ones self from impregnation is plain fricken stupid!!!!!
How about crossing the legs and the keeping the zi... (show quote)

My first child came in spite of contraception. It is not always full proof though to not use it at all is plain fricking stupid!

| Reply
Feb 11, 2019 01:20:47   #
PeterS (a regular here)
 
woodguru wrote:
The morning after pill...

I don't get how anyone who is against abortion, the idea of killing a fetus...can even equate the idea of preventing a pregnancy at this stage with that.

Not only would this mean tens of thousands less abortions, but thousands less unwanted pregnancies that end up being a burden to society in terms of welfare.

There are a little over a million units of Plan-B sold yearly and likely the reason for the steep decline in the rate of abortions today. I believe this is fairly expensive, $50 or more, so making it more affordable would go along way in increasing its use...



| Reply
Feb 11, 2019 01:22:45   #
PeterS (a regular here)
 
Singularity wrote:
Because of the exact method by which the medication works. Many who believe that life begins at conception consider the morning after pill to be an abortifacient. Some also have the same objection to lo dose birth control pills.

This is because pregnancy is prevented by two primary methods . First, if the body's regulatory hormonal chemistry is tricked and the ovaries do not produce an egg waiting to be fertilized there can be no pregnancy for that cycle.

Secondarily, similarly to the primary action of the morning after pill, many birth control pills cause the lining of the uterus to be made unreceptive to implantation by the unlikely egg that might be occasionally produced,

which might still have been fertilized and thus be a human child, but which will die without a uterine lining to inplant within.

Some feel that using drugs to make one's uterus so inhospitable to that rare occasional tiny blastocyst so that it wanders off and dies is murder.

Putting that into perspective, about a third of all the human ova that become fertilized, abort themselves naturally, anyway, without any contraceptive action, consent, knowledge or awareness of their parents. The uterus is a tricky and cantankerous organ. The world is a wide, wild place.
Because of the exact method by which the medicatio... (show quote)


Nice to hear from you again Single. It seems this board has gotten rather quiet with banishments and the like--not that I thought you had been axed--but it's nice to hear from you still...

| Reply
Feb 11, 2019 04:51:36   #
Singularity (a regular here)
 
PeterS wrote:
Nice to hear from you again Single. It seems this board has gotten rather quiet with banishments and the like--not that I thought you had been axed--but it's nice to hear from you still...


Good morning, PeterS. Good to hear from you as well.

For our friends, ....Yes. It really is a thing.

https://www.pharmacytimes.com/news/supreme-court-rejects-pharmacists-refusal-to-fill-appeal

Supreme Court Rejects Pharmacists' Refusal to Fill Appeal
JULY 04, 2016
Allison Gilchrist, Associate Editor
The Supreme Court of the United States (SCOTUS) has rejected a case brought by Washington State pharmacists citing religion in refusing to fill prescriptions for emergency contraception.

SCOTUS’s refusal to consider the appeal leaves in place regulations adopted in 2007 by the Washington State Pharmacy Quality Assurance Commission specifying that pharmacies must dispense all FDA-approved drugs to customers regardless of religious or moral reasons.

In 2012, US District Court Judge Ronald B. Leighton ruled that the 2007 policies violated the religious freedom of pharmacy owners by requiring pharmacies to stock and dispense emergency contraceptives. However, the unanimous 3-judge federal appeals court panel overruled Leighton’s 2012 ruling on July 23, 2015.

The plaintiffs involved in the case in Washington State objected the use of emergency contraception, so they didn’t want to stock Plan B and Ella for religious reasons. The pharmacy involved in the matter is Ralph’s Thriftway in Olympia, Washington. The other 2 plaintiffs were Rhonda Mesler and Margo Thelen—pharmacists who work elsewhere but similarly believe that the morning-after pill is a form of abortion.

In the original decision, Judge Susan Graber, who authored the court opinion, maintained that pharmacies must stock and dispense products such as Plan B because of the time-sensitive needs of patients seeking emergency contraception.

“Speed is particularly important considering the time-sensitive nature of emergency contraception and of many other medications,” Graber wrote. “The time taken to travel to another pharmacy, especially in rural areas where pharmacies are sparse, may reduce the efficacy of those drugs.”

On behalf of the plaintiffs, a law firm called Alliance Defending Freedom filed a petition for a writ of certiorari in order to have SCOTUS review the federal appeals court's decision to prevent pharmacists in Washington from citing religion to refuse to fill a prescription.

Some of the petitioners’ arguments included:
Pharmacies have traditionally been able to choose not to sell a drug for reasons related to business, economics, convenience, and conscience. If a pharmacy doesn’t have a product in stock or doesn’t want to keep a product in stock, it typically provides a referral to another pharmacy. These conscience clauses have been supported by the American Pharmacists Association and the other 49 states.
There are more than 30 other pharmacies that carry Plan B within 5 miles of Ralph’s Thriftway.
Patients have “never been denied timely access to any drug,” according to the petition.
Dispensing drugs like Plan B “would make them guilty of destroying human life,” according to the petition.
SCOTUS’s decision to not hear the case has been lauded by many stakeholders as a victory for patients who deserve access to the medications they need without the interference of a pharmacist’s personal convictions.

“When a woman walks into a pharmacy, she should not fear being turned away of the religious beliefs of the owner or the person behind the counter,” stated Louise Melling, Deputy Legal Director of the American Civil Liberty Union, in a press release.

However, the decision came from a divided court.

In a scathing dissent, Justice Samuel Alito deemed the court’s refusal to consider the claim an “ominous sign” for the future of religious freedom claims.

Alito noted there’s evidence that the state’s regulation was adopted because of “hostility to pharmacists whose religious beliefs regarding abortion and contraception are out of step with prevailing opinion in the state” and was designed with the intent “to stamp out religious objectors.”

The SCOTUS decision comes as a growing number of states are passing or considering legislation to expand access to birth control, including California, Oregon, New Jersey, and Tennessee, among others. Meanwhile, a first-of-its-kind law that recently passed in Maryland requires health insurers to completely cover the cost of all forms of FDA-approved emergency contraception.

At the federal level, the “Access to Birth Control Act” (S. 2960) recently introduced in the US Senate would require pharmacists to provide “any drug or device approved by the [FDA] to prevent pregnancy…without delay.” Under the proposed legislation, pharmacists refusing to dispense emergency contraception would be fined $1000 per day until the prescription is filled, or up to $100,000 “for all violations adjudicated in a single proceeding.”

Another federal bill would compel the FDA to review contraceptive drug applications more quickly and make them available OTC.

Plan B has been available OTC for women of all ages nationwide since 2013. It can lower the risk of pregnancy by as much as 89% if taken within 72 hours of unprotected sex.

| Reply
Feb 11, 2019 05:24:28   #
wolffy (a regular here)
 
PeterS wrote:
My first child came in spite of contraception. It is not always full proof though to not use it at all is plain fricking stupid!


Your wife probably cheated!

| Reply
Feb 11, 2019 06:10:47   #
Bad Bob
 
woodguru wrote:
The morning after pill...

I don't get how anyone who is against abortion, the idea of killing a fetus...can even equate the idea of preventing a pregnancy at this stage with that.

Not only would this mean tens of thousands less abortions, but thousands less unwanted pregnancies that end up being a burden to society in terms of welfare.



| Reply
Feb 11, 2019 06:40:10   #
ACP45 (a regular here)
 
bahmer wrote:
Back in my generation they used the Aspirin method and the worked pretty well. But then the men respected women in those days and when she said no it was no indeed. The aspirin was held between the knees of the female and it prevented them from getting pregnant.


Good one bahmer. It's been a long time since I've heard that one, and forgot the punch line.

| Reply
Page: 1 2 3 next>>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
OnePoliticalPlaza.com - Forum
Copyright 2012-2019 IDF International Technologies, Inc.