One Political PlazaSM - Home of politics
Home | Political Digest | Active Topics | Newest Pictures | Search | Login | Register | Help
Main
What if I told you......
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Page: 1 2 3 4 next>>
Oct 8, 2018 21:18:03   #
lpnmajor (a regular here)
 
What if I told you that seasonal/astronomical conditions cost the US tax payer nearly 1/4 of a trillion dollars a year? You'd be horrified yes? Flooding, storm surges, fires, tornadoes, etc. are expensive events, and even with the appropriate insurance, ultimately cost the taxpayer. What if I told you that an investment of 40 billion dollars a year, split between research and amelioration efforts, could cut that expense in half in 3 years? You'd think that was a worthy investment yes?

All right, I'm telling you all the above, because it's very real and current. Now, if I were to use the words "climate change" or "global warming" anywhere in those sentences............you'd have a very different response, yes? Why is that? Do those hated words change reality in any way? No? Then, stop getting all riled up about words and just deal with the numbers, because numbers are innocent of partisan/ideological BS.

We've had multiple 500 year weather events in the last 5 years. We've had multiple 100 year flood events EVERY YEAR, for the last several years. The frequency and severity of these events are escalating.......................................and the victims don't give a damn who believes what about climate change or whatever other theories there are. The taxpayer is on the hook for the bulk of the damages............................whether the damage is caused by climate change, volcanoes, the moon moving away from earth, some unknown astronomical event, or any other theory you choose to believe.

So, if I told you that we could do something to alleviate the problem or ameliorate it's effects with a modest investment, an investment that would have a substantial return in a relatively short time, would you be interested? Forget about the theoretical causes, just look at the facts about what is happening, then look at potential actions in response. I can tell you this for a fact; politics will not solve these problems, ideology will not solve these problems, democrats will not solve these problems, republicans will not solve these problems, only unadulterated science, free from all the above, has a hope in hell of solving anything. I call on the scientific community to stop talking about climate change and global warming...................because those words cause common sense to leave the planet.

| Reply
Oct 8, 2018 21:41:30   #
Trooper745
 
lpnmajor wrote:
What if I told you that seasonal/astronomical conditions cost the US tax payer nearly 1/4 of a trillion dollars a year? You'd be horrified yes? Flooding, storm surges, fires, tornadoes, etc. are expensive events, and even with the appropriate insurance, ultimately cost the taxpayer. What if I told you that an investment of 40 billion dollars a year, split between research and amelioration efforts, could cut that expense in half in 3 years? You'd think that was a worthy investment yes?

All right, I'm telling you all the above, because it's very real and current. Now, if I were to use the words "climate change" or "global warming" anywhere in those sentences............you'd have a very different response, yes? Why is that? Do those hated words change reality in any way? No? Then, stop getting all riled up about words and just deal with the numbers, because numbers are innocent of partisan/ideological BS.

We've had multiple 500 year weather events in the last 5 years. We've had multiple 100 year flood events EVERY YEAR, for the last several years. The frequency and severity of these events are escalating.......................................and the victims don't give a damn who believes what about climate change or whatever other theories there are. The taxpayer is on the hook for the bulk of the damages............................whether the damage is caused by climate change, volcanoes, the moon moving away from earth, some unknown astronomical event, or any other theory you choose to believe.

So, if I told you that we could do something to alleviate the problem or ameliorate it's effects with a modest investment, an investment that would have a substantial return in a relatively short time, would you be interested? Forget about the theoretical causes, just look at the facts about what is happening, then look at potential actions in response. I can tell you this for a fact; politics will not solve these problems, ideology will not solve these problems, democrats will not solve these problems, republicans will not solve these problems, only unadulterated science, free from all the above, has a hope in hell of solving anything. I call on the scientific community to stop talking about climate change and global warming...................because those words cause common sense to leave the planet.
What if I told you that seasonal/astronomical cond... (show quote)


I don't care whether you call it climate change, global warming or glumatachiwhodafluck. Stop with the fake data, the consensus rhetoric, the BS dire predictions of either rampaging high temperatures or iceage cooling and stupid solutions like carbon credits. Ugly and expensive wind mill farms, nor equally ugly and useless solar panels, nor inefficient corn based fuels are the final solutions to the man-made effects on climate, if it does exist.

There are things like more fuel efficient engines, more solutions to reduce the number of vehicles on the road, more products carried by rail instead of trucks, that will mitigate any effects caused by man. For about 6,000 man has been solving problems caused by his progress.

If the damned stupid democrats will just shut the fluck up about their stupid and ineffective, politically motivated failing solutions, like carbon tax credits, wind farms and solar panel groves, and get out of the way, we will continue to correct our problems.

| Reply
Oct 8, 2018 21:52:07   #
slatten49 (a regular here)
 
lpnmajor wrote:
What if I told you that seasonal/astronomical conditions cost the US tax payer nearly 1/4 of a trillion dollars a year? You'd be horrified yes? Flooding, storm surges, fires, tornadoes, etc. are expensive events, and even with the appropriate insurance, ultimately cost the taxpayer. What if I told you that an investment of 40 billion dollars a year, split between research and amelioration efforts, could cut that expense in half in 3 years? You'd think that was a worthy investment yes?

All right, I'm telling you all the above, because it's very real and current. Now, if I were to use the words "climate change" or "global warming" anywhere in those sentences............you'd have a very different response, yes? Why is that? Do those hated words change reality in any way? No? Then, stop getting all riled up about words and just deal with the numbers, because numbers are innocent of partisan/ideological BS.

We've had multiple 500 year weather events in the last 5 years. We've had multiple 100 year flood events EVERY YEAR, for the last several years. The frequency and severity of these events are escalating.......................................and the victims don't give a damn who believes what about climate change or whatever other theories there are. The taxpayer is on the hook for the bulk of the damages............................whether the damage is caused by climate change, volcanoes, the moon moving away from earth, some unknown astronomical event, or any other theory you choose to believe.

So, if I told you that we could do something to alleviate the problem or ameliorate it's effects with a modest investment, an investment that would have a substantial return in a relatively short time, would you be interested? Forget about the theoretical causes, just look at the facts about what is happening, then look at potential actions in response. I can tell you this for a fact; politics will not solve these problems, ideology will not solve these problems, democrats will not solve these problems, republicans will not solve these problems, only unadulterated science, free from all the above, has a hope in hell of solving anything. I call on the scientific community to stop talking about climate change and global warming...................because those words cause common sense to leave the planet.
What if I told you that seasonal/astronomical cond... (show quote)

Doc, I'd tell you that despite the numbers you cite, too many remain caught up in the partisan and ideological B.S. to take them seriously. To a large degree, common sense has already left the planet. America has dropped the mantle of leadership in such matters of importance.

| Reply
Oct 8, 2018 21:57:32   #
Manning345 (a regular here)
 
lpnmajor wrote:
What if I told you that seasonal/astronomical conditions cost the US tax payer nearly 1/4 of a trillion dollars a year? You'd be horrified yes? Flooding, storm surges, fires, tornadoes, etc. are expensive events, and even with the appropriate insurance, ultimately cost the taxpayer. What if I told you that an investment of 40 billion dollars a year, split between research and amelioration efforts, could cut that expense in half in 3 years? You'd think that was a worthy investment yes?

All right, I'm telling you all the above, because it's very real and current. Now, if I were to use the words "climate change" or "global warming" anywhere in those sentences............you'd have a very different response, yes? Why is that? Do those hated words change reality in any way? No? Then, stop getting all riled up about words and just deal with the numbers, because numbers are innocent of partisan/ideological BS.

We've had multiple 500 year weather events in the last 5 years. We've had multiple 100 year flood events EVERY YEAR, for the last several years. The frequency and severity of these events are escalating.......................................and the victims don't give a damn who believes what about climate change or whatever other theories there are. The taxpayer is on the hook for the bulk of the damages............................whether the damage is caused by climate change, volcanoes, the moon moving away from earth, some unknown astronomical event, or any other theory you choose to believe.

So, if I told you that we could do something to alleviate the problem or ameliorate it's effects with a modest investment, an investment that would have a substantial return in a relatively short time, would you be interested? Forget about the theoretical causes, just look at the facts about what is happening, then look at potential actions in response. I can tell you this for a fact; politics will not solve these problems, ideology will not solve these problems, democrats will not solve these problems, republicans will not solve these problems, only unadulterated science, free from all the above, has a hope in hell of solving anything. I call on the scientific community to stop talking about climate change and global warming...................because those words cause common sense to leave the planet.
What if I told you that seasonal/astronomical cond... (show quote)

===========================

I would dearly like to know what in hell the scientific community could conceivably do about hurricanes, tsunamis, very high or very low temperatures, or in general about climate change. Our ability to shape the climate to our specifications is just about zero, and a 100 Trillian dollars, or a lot more, sunk into wild attempts to control climate would be criminally insane, unless there is adequate proof that some climate engineering solution is valid and true. If you have no such solution in hand, I suggest that you are whistling in the wind. No one else has a solution.

| Reply
Oct 8, 2018 22:36:23   #
pafret (a regular here)
 
slatten49 wrote:
Doc, I'd tell you that despite the numbers you cite, too many remain caught up in the partisan and ideological B.S. to take them seriously. To a large degree, common sense has already left the planet. America has dropped the mantle of leadership in such matters of importance.


The numbers were fine, the underlying assumption that he has the holy mandate on how to resolve the problem is the frog choker.

| Reply
Oct 8, 2018 23:25:50   #
Pennylynn (a regular here)
 
I agree with you that no political party will cure climate change. It had no affect the last dozen times it happened and they are still powerless. I also agree that we, the USA, has to take a leading role in working toward a cleaner environment. But, the developed countries can not support the entire effort. All nations have to wake up and make changes. This means no country should be able to 'buy' credits so they can continue with business as usual.

This is an interesting cite on the environment. https://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog+environment/environment



lpnmajor wrote:
What if I told you that seasonal/astronomical conditions cost the US tax payer nearly 1/4 of a trillion dollars a year? You'd be horrified yes? Flooding, storm surges, fires, tornadoes, etc. are expensive events, and even with the appropriate insurance, ultimately cost the taxpayer. What if I told you that an investment of 40 billion dollars a year, split between research and amelioration efforts, could cut that expense in half in 3 years? You'd think that was a worthy investment yes?

All right, I'm telling you all the above, because it's very real and current. Now, if I were to use the words "climate change" or "global warming" anywhere in those sentences............you'd have a very different response, yes? Why is that? Do those hated words change reality in any way? No? Then, stop getting all riled up about words and just deal with the numbers, because numbers are innocent of partisan/ideological BS.

We've had multiple 500 year weather events in the last 5 years. We've had multiple 100 year flood events EVERY YEAR, for the last several years. The frequency and severity of these events are escalating.......................................and the victims don't give a damn who believes what about climate change or whatever other theories there are. The taxpayer is on the hook for the bulk of the damages............................whether the damage is caused by climate change, volcanoes, the moon moving away from earth, some unknown astronomical event, or any other theory you choose to believe.

So, if I told you that we could do something to alleviate the problem or ameliorate it's effects with a modest investment, an investment that would have a substantial return in a relatively short time, would you be interested? Forget about the theoretical causes, just look at the facts about what is happening, then look at potential actions in response. I can tell you this for a fact; politics will not solve these problems, ideology will not solve these problems, democrats will not solve these problems, republicans will not solve these problems, only unadulterated science, free from all the above, has a hope in hell of solving anything. I call on the scientific community to stop talking about climate change and global warming...................because those words cause common sense to leave the planet.
What if I told you that seasonal/astronomical cond... (show quote)

| Reply
Oct 8, 2018 23:27:18   #
Pennylynn (a regular here)
 
Manning345 wrote:
===========================

I would dearly like to know what in hell the scientific community could conceivably do about hurricanes, tsunamis, very high or very low temperatures, or in general about climate change. Our ability to shape the climate to our specifications is just about zero, and a 100 Trillian dollars, or a lot more, sunk into wild attempts to control climate would be criminally insane, unless there is adequate proof that some climate engineering solution is valid and true. If you have no such solution in hand, I suggest that you are whistling in the wind. No one else has a solution.
=========================== br br I would dearly ... (show quote)



| Reply
Oct 9, 2018 04:11:59   #
Kevyn (a regular here)
 
Manning345 wrote:
===========================

I would dearly like to know what in hell the scientific community could conceivably do about hurricanes, tsunamis, very high or very low temperatures, or in general about climate change. Our ability to shape the climate to our specifications is just about zero, and a 100 Trillian dollars, or a lot more, sunk into wild attempts to control climate would be criminally insane, unless there is adequate proof that some climate engineering solution is valid and true. If you have no such solution in hand, I suggest that you are whistling in the wind. No one else has a solution.
=========================== br br I would dearly ... (show quote)

Our stupidity caused the dust bowl, why would you not believe the almost universal consensus of scientists warning you about mans impact on climate change?

| Reply
Oct 9, 2018 07:09:38   #
Peewee (a regular here)
 
Or, maybe we are nearing the end of days? No one can stop God! Not money, stats, scientist, think tanks, bombs and certainly not lies. This is between God and Satan. IMHO we are very close to the final countdown and our souls are the prize. Do we side with the creator or the rebel? Back to Eden or into the pit? What we are running out of, is time. Which only exists in our dimension anyway. And that veil is also about to be ripped, like the veil in 70AD. Everything has been foretold. No one has a valid excuse. Judgment day is almost here and if you believe in the rapture, that's even closer. Choose wisely, my friends. Life is not about politics. It's either salvation or damnation. Fight the good fight but don't forget your soul. Even if you think we live in some sort of a computer simulation, it's still real.

| Reply
Oct 9, 2018 07:44:45   #
Justsss (a regular here)
 
Peewee, wiser words not spoken, Biblical truths about what is really happening. We could spend every last dollar on Earth and not effect a single moment if GOD desires a different outcome.

| Reply
Oct 9, 2018 08:03:52   #
lpnmajor (a regular here)
 
Manning345 wrote:
===========================

I would dearly like to know what in hell the scientific community could conceivably do about hurricanes, tsunamis, very high or very low temperatures, or in general about climate change. Our ability to shape the climate to our specifications is just about zero, and a 100 Trillian dollars, or a lot more, sunk into wild attempts to control climate would be criminally insane, unless there is adequate proof that some climate engineering solution is valid and true. If you have no such solution in hand, I suggest that you are whistling in the wind. No one else has a solution.
=========================== br br I would dearly ... (show quote)


How do you know no one has a solution? I suggested that you ( and others ) forget about the climate change debate, which is rife with emotional, political and ideological land mines, and just concentrate on what we CAN do. I did not suggest that we try to tackle the weather events themselves, rather find ways to limit the damage and loss of life that is also on the rise.

We are not going to solve "climate change" in time to make a difference - so we need to invest in methods for dealing with what is happening now. Major infrastructure work needs to be done in coastal cities to manage the inevitable storm surges and flooding. Major infrastructure work needs to be done on our rivers and tributaries to manage the inevitable flooding. What we are doing now..........................is waiting until shit happens and deal with it then. That's a dumb ass method.

| Reply
Oct 9, 2018 08:11:26   #
lpnmajor (a regular here)
 
Pennylynn wrote:
I agree with you that no political party will cure climate change. It had no affect the last dozen times it happened and they are still powerless. I also agree that we, the USA, has to take a leading role in working toward a cleaner environment. But, the developed countries can not support the entire effort. All nations have to wake up and make changes. This means no country should be able to 'buy' credits so they can continue with business as usual.

This is an interesting cite on the environment. https://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog+environment/environment
I agree with you that no political party will cure... (show quote)


I'm suggesting we forget about the worlds environment, nothing we do in that respect is going to have the slightest effect on what's going to happen NOW. We need to be investing in infrastructure efforts to limit the damage that WILL result from weather events this year and the next, and every year far into the future.

We're letting the climate change "debate" derail us on doing what common sense suggests we do. We KNOW that sea levels are rising and will continue to rise, so must be proactive..................and forget about the reason WHY they're rising. While we're still arguing about the CAUSE of adverse weather events, we're not dealing proactively with the next one.

It's time to stop waiting until the shit hits the fan.........................and figure out how to move the fan.

| Reply
Oct 9, 2018 13:14:44   #
Peewee (a regular here)
 
lpnmajor wrote:
I'm suggesting we forget about the worlds environment, nothing we do in that respect is going to have the slightest effect on what's going to happen NOW. We need to be investing in infrastructure efforts to limit the damage that WILL result from weather events this year and the next, and every year far into the future.

We're letting the climate change "debate" derail us on doing what common sense suggests we do. We KNOW that sea levels are rising and will continue to rise, so must be proactive..................and forget about the reason WHY they're rising. While we're still arguing about the CAUSE of adverse weather events, we're not dealing proactively with the next one.

It's time to stop waiting until the shit hits the fan.........................and figure out how to move the fan.
I'm suggesting we forget about the worlds environm... (show quote)


How about we stop allowing building in known flood zones. We have 200+ years of records to identify them. Yet developers are still allowed to keep rebuilding in them and selling to unknowing buyers.

| Reply
Oct 9, 2018 13:28:18   #
GaryCooop44 (a regular here)
 
Might it be to late already? B-radiation?

| Reply
Oct 9, 2018 14:22:10   #
Fit2BTied (a regular here)
 
lpnmajor wrote:
I'm suggesting we forget about the worlds environment, nothing we do in that respect is going to have the slightest effect on what's going to happen NOW. We need to be investing in infrastructure efforts to limit the damage that WILL result from weather events this year and the next, and every year far into the future.

We're letting the climate change "debate" derail us on doing what common sense suggests we do. We KNOW that sea levels are rising and will continue to rise, so must be proactive..................and forget about the reason WHY they're rising. While we're still arguing about the CAUSE of adverse weather events, we're not dealing proactively with the next one.

It's time to stop waiting until the shit hits the fan.........................and figure out how to move the fan.
I'm suggesting we forget about the worlds environm... (show quote)

That's a little too "common sense" to get any buy-in from the left. If the 2 sides got together and actually compared notes they'd figure out just what you said. Without bankrupting world economies, we're not going to reverse what is going on with the planet (and even that might not do it). How much is mankinds affect? How much can mankind do to slow things if reasonable money is spent? And yet as you say, if we pooled our resources we could indeed move the fan, which would buy time that may yield an actual scientific answer to the problem. But simple ideas rarely make it to the forefront to even be debated. Sorry you wasted such a good one.

| Reply
Page: 1 2 3 4 next>>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Main
Home | Latest Digest | Back to Top | All Sections
Contact us | Privacy policy | Terms of use
OnePoliticalPlaza.com - Forum
Copyright 2012-2018 IDF International Technologies, Inc.